Out Now Cardpocalypse (by by Gambrinous and Versus Evil)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Thank you for answering me, it‘s always great to see a developer being around!
    Well, after 4 days I already finished this game because I really enjoyed it and I had to play it each day for several hours.

I have to agree that the story with its quests, all the characters and the humor... Everything is sooo lovely especially the champion intros which are HILARIOUS.

I still have further suggestions:

- Was it mentioned during the tutorial that you can only have 6 minions and 3 mutations in play at the same time?

- I don‘t like that Jess moves to the bottom right place if you select the buttons which are placed there.

- I have to agree that the deck building is kind of horrible compared with most other aspects of the game which seem really polished.
    It took me quite some time to realize how to select a card and show all its effects and how to select and remove it from the deck.

If you chose the goo rule which allows to select a card for your starting hand it will be even more complicated.
    First I thought it‘s bugged but than I noticed the little needle.

I think you need to select the top/bottom border of a card to enlarge it and display all its effects.
    If you push two times the middle part of a card depending on your speed/breaks, it will be removed or selected as starting hand card if I am not wrong.

Later on I even selected the goo rule which allows to select 2 champions, finally I did it but don‘t ask me how it was/can be done...

- I own some screenshots but I don‘t know how to implement them here...
    I experimented a bit and noticed that if you select the goo on the right side of the screen during a battle, goo rules which were chosen during the course of the game will be shown.
    I noticed that only the first 4 rules are shown although as I finished the game about 10 goo rules affected the game.
    Is it possible to display all of them and outside of a battle as they are important if you build your deck.

- I pretty much liked the time warping mouse champion which starts with swarm.
    Later on I selected a goo rule which gives minions with swarm +1 health and another goo rule which gives minions with swarm +1 attack.
    My champion was also affected and it was much easier to win battles.

- I fought the end boss with the goo rule which allows me to select 2 champions, it was my only fight using this rule.
    After my first champion was replaced by the second one and after I enlarged him to show his effects the correct mega form was shown of my second champions on the right side but the non mega form of my previous champion on the left side.

- I can‘t remember everything exactly... lets go on...

- I had to spread 2 rumors about the janitor during a quest but I could talk to him and get the reward after already spreading 1 of this rumors.
    I am not sure if this was intended.
    On the other hand after I talked to Spud for a last time he was happy that I helped him all the time and he told me that I would get a great reward.
    Maybe some stuff was placed in my inventory but it wasn‘t displayed on the screen previously as it’s always done.

- At the very end of the game, some missions were not displayed properly.
    If you finish a part of a quest, the text will be crossed (I hope that‘s the correct word, I am not a native english speaker) and a new text fragment will appear which tells us what‘s to do.
    In rare occasions the new text fragment didn‘t appear but if I switched to the missions screen where all quests are shown, there it was written.

- Once I got to select between 2 champions as a reward.
    I even reloaded twice but I could never click on them to show their effects (mega form and so on).
    One of the champions was a dog, the other one the mouse with cables out of her mouth.

I hope that I didn‘t forget anything^^

2. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Loaded up an older save and finished it in the end.

bit odd if you choose continue after the end credits, is that deliberate?

anyway, thank you all for the truly awesome game!

Roger the Alien likes this.
  3. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    One more thing - can we talk about how the main character is in a wheelchair and it’s so well handled? Could so easily have been a ghastly inclusiveness PC thing but it works because the cast handles it like kids do, just accepting it as the way the world is.

It’s actually really inspiring, massive kudos for being brave enough to do it and for handling it so well.

4. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Thanks for mentioning it, I completely forgot to do it.
    All characters feel as if they could exist in reality with their different personalities.
    Jess which is the main protagonist ist just awesome.
    She is a really cool girl in a wheelchair.
    Take that you stereotypic game characters!

TheGribble likes this.
  5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Started playing this and seems cool even if I keep losing but I still don’t understand deck building and can’t get it to work.

Can someone explain how to do it?

Hope the devs improve that part of the game.

6. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Some posts ago I explained how it works/how it probably works/how it could work.
    I am using an iPad, if you use a mobile phone it is another story and probably much more difficult.

Don‘t give up, this game is simply great!!!
    I hope the deck building will be improved.

7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, I’m on an iPhone X and just trying to select a card and hit buttons like close is ridiculously hard. I’ve given up at this point and will just try to play with the default decks.

8. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I liked everything about this game except...the exhaustive cut scenes/story. I understand that's a big part of it but I really wanted more card battles and less dialogue. Did I miss something?

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Then you, as I was in your same boat, should appreciate their recent update that adds a Gauntlet Mode which is just a nifty Survival Mode without any story cheese, just pick your champion and slug it out in round after round of tougher and tougher opponents with you getting to add a couple of new cards in between each battle. Much like a streamlined Slay the Spire deckbuilder.

My question, however, is does anybody know if I can unlock all of this mode's other characters and decks via just Gauntlet play, or are the unlocks tied to stuff in the main campaign mode? I know within Gauntlet there is a meta-game experience system which leads to further unlocks like new cards, and further deck selections for each champion, but am not sure if that is how all of the content in this mode is unlocked.

10. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

I'll give it another try. Thanks!

11. Mathiastheninja

Sep 22, 2019
    Would love a sequel to this game, i was so immersed in the story.

Roger the Alien likes this.
  12. gambrinous

gambrinous Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yep everything in Gauntlet is unlocked by playing Gauntlet. Have you beaten it yet with any character? :D

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahh, no, but knowing I don't need to play the main story to unlock stuff I'll surely get back into it soon. Thank you for making these 2 modes independent of each other. I have no issues with the story, I'm sure it's fine, I just prefer my card games and roguelikes without them (beyond maybe a fun cutscene to set the story/situation and an ending cutscene).