Universal Cardinal Quest 2 By Kongregate

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ScotDamn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Urg this is so so good.

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #82 Montanx, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Ok just played through act 2. There's something seriously awesome going on here guys, this game is really really good. A great tap control scheme, doesn't need a stick. A brilliant real time yet turn based combat system with simple skill set ups. Freemium aspects just let you buy more classes and perks, wich u can earn with playing. I'm dying for a 9th dawn style fully fleshed out adventure here, the gameplay is in chunks. When u die or beat the act, ur game ends and if u beat the act u can challenge the next. Each run is a leaderboard score grab and when u die, u can buy continues with currency but it lowers your score for the run.

The music is superb, some of the best boss fight music Iv heard. and the chess match between the enemies, ur health and ur skills offers real depth in tackling each level. There's just so much right going on with this game.

3. cretpetpet

cretpetpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ostia
    The app is really unstable for me. Crash alot. Wishing for an autosave on exit or crash.

4. MinusZero

MinusZero Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2014
    There is one... Sort of. It at least resets you to the beginning of the stage you were at. As someone said earlier in the thread you can quit the game and close it in multitasking then Restart pretty quick. If you do that each level it won't crash. Not the ideal situation. It works though.

5. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Any news about a true release date ?

I think I may have found a little bug. I have taken the leech skill with the mage. When you select the skill the game draws a red square on the floor where you want to aim the skill. But when you have no opponent right next to you, you can't launch the skill and you can't cancel the action either, nor move. The only way I have found to unstuck the situation is to open and close the character sheet.

Nothing really bad but a bit inconvenient.

6. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

The game seems a bit less slow on iPhone 4 thanks to the last update.

7. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #87 Nobunaga, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Hasn't crashed for me since the update. I did leave the app to do some other things and came back to it at the start screen. Continued my game and it restarted at the exact point I left it at. Much better.

I wonder what this means...

"-Combine cards to create epic results with Card Fusion"
    It's in the app description and after playing to the end of the game I have no idea.

8. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    I just unlocked the final character. I have unlocked a few of the perks/gear packs... I'm finding it hard to believe that this game is going to make any money at all. It seems like going F2P was an afterthought and a few IAP options we're thrown in. I understand that difficulty is subjective and everyone will have varying experiences, so, in most cases I wouldn't say the IAP is unnecessary. In this case I don't really find it helpful at all though. People often call IAP a way to cheat ahead. That's really not the case here. You can only purchase new characters (all of them pretty well balanced and not "better" than the last) or permenant gear or perks to start the game with. The problem is most of the gear/perks are not better than the starting load out, just different.

I don't really think this game will do well financially. You are never going to be forced to pay... You are given incredibly little incentive to pay. And for people like myself that don't really like consumable IAP you are given no option to pay.

I'm not complaining about the free game actually being free...
    Just puzzled.

9. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Don't let this slip under the radar, folks - the first game was an unsung hero of a game that looked almost too retro at first glance but ended up being a very fast paced, tactical turn based rogue.

This sequel is everything it should be, I haven't played it enough to comment on the IAP balancing, but let's face it devs don't have a choice anymore. The new shareware style unlock IAP is a great middle ground and is so far away from EA style 'death by a thousand cuts' that it cannot be compared in any way.

Between this and Dungelot 2, we have a couple of killer rogue games to play at the moment.

10. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Does this have a Rogue-style goal (get the amulet and escape), or is it limited to leaderboard/score chasing? Curious if there's an ending (however difficult it might be to achieve.)

11. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    It's seperated into smaller levels. 8 floors roughly per level. Each has it's own goal. Pretty much, make it to the bottom and kill the boss. Lots of achievements to gain extra moral. Some as simple as healing poison with an antidote. Others that take a little more effort.
    I personally like that it's seperated into episodes. Although an endless mode would be a great addition. At the moment there are 3 episodes. Hopefully more will be included for the global launch or shortly after.

12. QUIMDUNG

QUIMDUNG Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    GAMEDEV
    BROOKLYN
    #92 QUIMDUNG, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    OMG! I was a huge fan of CQ1 but found it a bit limited. I enjoyed the CQ2 demo/alpha about a year ago and just randomly searched for CQ2 and now I see that it's coming out really soon??? HYPE!!

edit: when's it coming out?

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    It 'soft launched' over a month ago, so hopefully it'll be released proper soon. I know there's been beta testing action going on to search for and destroy bugs, as well as to balance the gameplay. Really looking forward to this one as well.

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Anyone have any word on this moving out of soft launch? Been looking but haven't seen anything.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have the soft launch version installed to see if they at least release a version with the crash fix. If they do that, then a world wide release shouldnt be too far behind.

16. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Ah found the dev's twitter feed. Looks like he submitted release build to Apple two days ago, so hopefully not long to wait.

https://mobile.twitter.com/randomnine

17. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    It's out in Canada I guess downloading now

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hence, the soft launch ;)

19. jsrco