Universal Cardinal Quest 2 By Kongregate

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ScotDamn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    #261 Retro Nug, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    This is still the best roguelike on iOS imo.

Unfortunately, I accidentally uninstalled it awhile back and now I have to start over from scratch. Not very pleasant seeing as how I saved up and grinded to unlock all the classes and most of the skills amd perks etc. Oh well. I enjoy the game enough to start doing it again all over!

2. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Yeah I still have it :D
    Such a good game for free!

3. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Those updates are always minor. It's good to have updates, but they don't add major content anymore. Just a few skill changes, and that's it. I wish they'd finally reset the hacked/bugged global highscore list. No reason to fight for highscores when for example some fool, years ago, died at stage 1-1 and got to the top because of hacks or bugs.

I guess they'll never make melee characters any useful for deep tower runs. Then again, without new content and repeating stages such runs get boring anyways.

4. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Just here to say 5 stars. Also 6 if we could.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    +1 to that.

That is all.

6. anniec

anniec Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Love CQ2! Been playing this game for a long time now and it never gets old. Tower was a big gamechanger for me.

My mains:
    Ranger w/ Faithful Friend and Runner
    Paladin w/Purifier and Prayer of Life (does more damage now thanks to the newest update)

Haven't tried using the wizard yet, but want to start learning him. Any tips on how to play him? What are the best perk and gear options that you use going into the game?

Best character IMO?

The Dog.

7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Yeah it's such a gem!

I like the ranger too, but wizard has got to be my favourite! Range is key. Make sure you have enough speed to kite people. I use the wisp skill, which can be very cool sometimes when you have a bunch of them, but mainly they just teleport people away from you. Nice to have a companion though (you can also get a skill which allows you to tame almost any monster!)
    Also once you upgrade your fireball to the next skill don't use it right next to yourself lol

8. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Are you guys still playing this great little game?

I have a question. What are all those tiny colored squares by the side of the minimap overlay? I don't understand their meaning and function so I'm probably missing something.

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    It's the maps to the boss. Each level is a square.

10. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    So each act has 7 dungeons?

11. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Are dungeon layouts different in every run or only monsters change?

12. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I think I probably speak for many people on here but in answer to your question Claud, yes I/we still play this game regularly. It's one of those slow burning passions that you chip away at slowly - there's so many characters and perks to unlock and so many achievements to aim for that you would be mad to go at it all at once. Fantastic game, so simple yet so immensely deep and rewarding.

The little coloured boxes represent the floors/maps to each run through. Yes, there are always 7 in each Act (iirc?).

The dungeon and enemy layouts are randomised on each run through however there is generally a basic 'seed' to each level which dictates the number/severity of enemies - this is also partly tied in to the terrain you are in at the time. So you shouldn't end up facing level 7 enemies on level 1 and you won't find certain enemies in some areas. Loot also appears to be slightly affected by the level and also your characters level - better loot tends to appear the further in to a run you are. On the other hand, spells/skills are random and can be picked up at any time during the current run - at least I think that's correct.

13. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I believe the number of floors increases in each act, but the rest is spot on I think

14. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Thank you for the reply. This game is fabulous! Never thought it would have so much depth but simplicity in gameplay at the same time.

Do the developers interact in here?

15. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Yeah this game is severely underrated imo. Surprised there's only 28 pages here.
    I don't know about the dev, not many people use this thread except for the few devoted people that love it.

16. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Am I seeing it wrong or all floors in Act 3 have the exact same layout? Different monster spawns but same houses and map layout.

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    The general idea is, but no they are not exactly the same. Chest, layout, buildings, and rooms are always different.

18. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

You sure? In this last Act they look really similar. Not loot or chest placement but building layout.

19. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Also, Tower bosses are always the same right? Wish they could be randomized for a fresher experience every time.

20. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I thought they were refreshed in the tower? There's like 9 random mini bosses that you fight, and can unlock the alchemist with