Universal Card Wars - Adventure Time - (by Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 12, 2014.

1. shaymon

shaymon Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    This right here is when you know someone lost the fight...when they need to add things like "who ya brown nosin'?" You should have just moved on. Now you just look like a tool.

As far as timers, sure I might look at this without any knowledge and think...ah no thanks. However when multiple people are saying it has no effect, then great.

2. readysetboom

readysetboom Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ahhh where is it? I want this

3. KillerSpecialK

KillerSpecialK Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    Yeah, me too. Solidarity, brothers and sisters!

Question I have is, if it soft launches one release night, are we guaranteed to have to wait till another release night? Or can they drop it whenever the want at any time of the day?

I know Trials Frontier soft launched in Dec, but no ones heard from it since, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I just hope they stick with the plan of releasing it along side the actual retail card game, which is happening on the 19th of Feb. Fingers crossed we get it before then!

4. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Guys, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It has a freaking energy meter.

http://kotaku.com/one-dumb-feature-kept-me-from-loving-adventure-time-car-1522304329

It's $4, has IAP andddd an energy meter, this is disgusting

5. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    ^ yikes. That's a big pass.

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Funny... They are playing the card wars episode right now on CN! Awesome!

7. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Eli played it for an hour on his stream and then for another three later and said he never met any problems with the timers, so I'll take his word for it...

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

9. readysetboom

readysetboom Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Timers ruin games for me. It ruined clear vision 3. Why would a game company try to make people not play their game? It counter intuitive. People who buy IAP always buy IAP. People who don't won't play ur game.

10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I'll buy it anyways, simply because it's an IOS Card Wars. But I completely understand the backlash about the timer. Hopefully game developers realize that freemium or not, the very presence of timers will garner a negative reaction similar to what is normally reserved for freemium games.

11. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I was coming back here to point out the very same thing... He never once mentions being impeded from playing the game yet seems for dead set on hating the game simply because the timer exists at all, without considering it may be a balance thing (perhaps as a way to curtail farming the harder levels over and over to maintain balance).

I personally hate timers... But I don't see them being the least bit harmful in this game from all the videos I've watched...

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Well, the author of that article actually extols the virtues of the game, saying he was really enjoying it, he doesn't seem dead set on hating it. He then points out that even if the delay between plays caused by the timer is small, it is still unacceptable in a game people have paid for. Really, if the timers are a method of balance, as you suggest, that is a pretty lazy way to balance the game. Afterall, it wouldn't prevent farming, it would prevent players from playing the game they paid for when they wanted to. Overall, I got the sense the author was simply disappointed in the design decision on the principle of what he sees as an unethical game mechanic.

Honestly, Eli was originally annoyed that people were putting the game down without playing it. Now we have someone who has played it putting the game down. Seems like agree or disagree, this should be considered a step in the right direction.

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #93 Bool Zero, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    But the writer of that article never puts the game down. He never expresses any time that the timers destroy his playing experience. He never even claims to have any moment to complain that he couldn't play the game at any point. He is merely complaining about the possibility, of which he never encounters (at least never expresses to experience in his time playing before writing and posting that article). It's a knee jerk article, nothing more. Read it. Watch the video. He experiences nothing to validate his complaints other than the fact that the timers existence bothers him. Period.

Trust me, I too was originally annoyed but every video I've seen seems to indicate that it was all for naught. I understand the hate of timers and freemium, but I personally find this instance to be largely too knee jerk... If he or others had come forth showing that the game is truly paidmium, than there would be a case and concern here. As it stands, this is just villagers with pitchforks and torches looking for monsters in shadows...

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hate to burst your bubble but I'm one of the few people in this thread that have played the game and people have seemed to ignore my mini review. I mentioned that I did hit my timer cap to 0. I also mentioned that some levels take more hearts than others (even early game). This means that late game, heart costs can be costly. Bad omen.

And generally a round lasts about 5-7 minutes. A heart takes 15 minutes to charge. And then throw in levels that take more than 1 heart. Add in failing levels (when you fail by the way you get absolutely nothing.. not even level up XP). So yes the timers are bad and if you lose a level, it's even worse.

Sure maybe late game you'll play a 15-20 minute level, which sound ridiculous. But also late game each level probably is going to cost more than 1 heart.

15. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    This is kind of my point, the author of the article actually praises many elements of the game. However, it is more out of principle than anything that he finds the inclusion of a timer distasteful. My impression was that he finds, as do others, that the simple fact that a timer is included, whatever the reason or effect of it, taints the game. Some may find this an overreaction, and it likely won't stop me from purchasing the game, but I think he certainly is entitled to his viewpoint on this matter, and I can understand the concept behind it.

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #96 ste86uk, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Not a clue what adventure time is bar this game and the ski one they did. I do however enjoy card games where you collect and battle although reading a few short posts here mentioning a timer on a game that's at a premium price?

Just downloaded Riot Runners instead while I wait to learn more about this game.

17. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    It's finally on the US AppStore!

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I'm curious though. Why does it exist if it doesn't impede one from playing? I mean, an energy system is put in place as a way to create revenue. Also it's worth mentioning that a balance update could easily make the timer more prominent if it isn't now. It also makes the decision of dropping the price to free an easy one.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Well, that says plenty enough for me. If you DO hit that cap and the timer DOES come into play (as I expected) than this is quite disgusting in a $4 game. Defend freemium all you want, but a $4 game shouldn't have freemium pay models.

20. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio