Universal Card Thief (by Tinytouchtales)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 19, 2017.

1. yogg sarons cousin

Feb 9, 2017
    Loving the game so far and each round I figure out something new about how to optimize my way and maximize my gold and chest value, I love the look and feel of it and it's definitely contributing to the experience. Still in the first tower so I hope there are more cards to be revealed.

2. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Just purchased this game and started playing 30 minutes ago I'm absolutely in love with it I can't believe it's only 1.99 (considering I've seen WAYYYYYYY worse for more) this is a must buy game

3. q8719

q8719 Active Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Disabled
    Indiana USA
    I agree this game is a must buy

4. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    It uses Unity (iirc during beta testing), so don't count on it.

5. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Nah, just has to be at least equal to enemy.

6. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Good to see you guys still enjoying the game.
    Without wanting to sound too lazy but most of your questions regarding gameplay are explained in the tutorial.
    If you go back to the lessons you can replay just the equipment part and read how they work.

There was a question about the "black bubbles" - this is the shadow step mechanic. It's quite hidden.
    When your thief has 0 or less stealth and stands in the shadow he can still move past enemies also standing in the shadow.
    You only swap positions with those instead of removing them. It's a way to escape some of the unsolvable situations.

Again trash cards will server a purpose in an coming update.

There are only 4 slots because in the Android version we will gate unlocking chests via Video ads, this is why we decided to have only 4 slots to store cards.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied

Ok. Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Another possible lazy question:

How does the reduction/usage of equipment work? Some time it deducts one and some time it is gone after one use, e.g. the poison, it has a value 2 but after using it on a torch of value 1, it just vanishes.

TIA

9. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    @currymutton If the equipment card has a 2 and the target has a 1 it will reduce the equipment to 1 and go back into your inventory.
    If your equipment card has a 2 and the target a 1 and then it vanishes this would be a bug.

10. Longicollis

Longicollis Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Commercial Diver
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hi I'd like to check any of you guys with iPhone 5s warms up when playing the game? Mine is quite warm when playing the game either on battery or plugged in.

11. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Just bought this and been testing it out. Actually am loving it. Seems really fun.

12. DrlRage

DrlRage Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Even though I don't usually get card games. I looked at the video of the gameplay and absorbed some of the hype. So I got it and it lives up to the buzz. It's a charming game! Great replay value too.

Dev Ques: Any chance you'll introduce a bigger grid?

Like others here, I've experienced the battery drainage and the device getting hot (iPad Air 2)

I don't usually whine about iCloud but I think I'll be playing this game for a while, and it'll come in handy.

13. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Okay. This is serious.
    I think I like this better than Card Crawl.
    Wow.

Castle Wolfskull is currently giving me fits, but I like that there are new elements added on a learning curve. Increasing depth and challenge as you advance certainly makes the game feel substantial and gives a real sense of progress that's hard to achieve in what's essentially a solitaire game.

What's so impressive is how this manages to feel more like a stealth-based strategy game than a card game, even though it's a card game.
    It doesn't feel like I'm trying to figure out how best to play the cards I've been dealt. It feels like I'm trying to complete my heist and escape with the goods.

It's absolutely phenomenal how this game transcends its core solitaire roots and becomes a series of suspenseful adventures. It feels as close to games like Dungelot as it does to Free Cell.
    It's fascinating, and a remarkable achievement.

(This is me raving, if that wasn't clear. A Great Game.)

Anoik likes this.
  14. Nico123

Nico123 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Great game ! Thx you!
    Possible in the futur translate in french?

15. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Aww, thanks again guys, blushing over here ;)

iCloud coming with an update.
    Translation into more languages would be nice, but is not super high in my todo list right now.

@DrlRage For battery concerns try if switching off animations in the settings helps. I might need to add a dedicated energy save mode.
    For the bigger grid request: We had a version with a bigger grid in an early prototype. Here's an old design post of mine (16th of Jan 2016) regarding the bigger grid, where i had a 3x4 gird test:

"I've not changed anything besides the grid and there are so many issues that arise from the larger grid it's really surprising.
    Visual information to process is way too much, there's so much going on in comparison to the 3x3 even though it's just 3 cards more (and really the cards don't have much on them), it feels really overwhelming.
    You can bypass 85% of all enemies by just playing around them. There's no feeling of having to deal with a guard because it's between you and the card you want to play.
    Same with the goal card, it's basically super easy to exit without any issue.
    Card values go through the roof and the 10 default stealths are not enough to make good move.

What i really want from this game is the feeling of almost getting caught and having to make sacrifice moves in order to reach the exit. I think the smaller space really emphasis on this "claustrophobic" feeling. I know that i might lose some strategic depth with a smaller grid/decision space but what i would lose with a larger grid is basically the soul of my game.

It's good that i've tried the larger version but i will definitely stick with the 3x3 one."

Anoik likes this.
  16. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    #156 MintCity, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Wow! I'm sincerely obsessed with this game. I was familiar with Card Crawl but never bought it for myself. I got Card Thief solely off of the hype in the TA community. I'm glad I did.

Every single play through feels strategic and intense. You truly feel like a thief. You find yourself making sacrificial moves to be able to grab some extra loot and reach the exit. Guards truly fill you with a sense of fear. I wish this could somehow be adapted to a physical card game. That would be so cool!

This is a MUST at $1.99, or any price for that matter. I bought Card Crawl because of the incredible experience I've had with this game. Kudos to the dev! You've garnered a new fan my man!

17. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Has anyone figured out how to get friends to show up in the "Friends" section of the flag stat screen?

I have a friend who was a game center friend, I assume they still are but game center doesn't appear to have an option for adding friends.

18. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    This is the height of the current assault of superlative games on the Appstore. I don't even really "see" the card game aspect of it - only the abstracted heist adventures. I cannot wait for this game to be expanded with more content.

19. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Dev can you comment on how someone got a lvl 21 chest and made it out with only cloak card ? How do you save up that kinda stealth and last to get it to 21 ?

20. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Well have 2 sneaks with 2 and cloak left. Start with 10 + 3*2 + 4*2 + 5 = 29 should be enough to grab the 21 chest on the 6th card in one turn. You will also have to shadow step 2 guards until the chest is really high. Unlikely but possible.