Universal Card Thief (by Tinytouchtales)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 19, 2017.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    You could put your FAQ on a Wikia so it could be enriched ?

2. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    What are the exact rules for the multiplier ?

3. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    #383 AltsKev, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    how people get 200+ score on black manor without ability ? wow its a gamecenter bug or its really possible ?

4. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    @BlueTrin ok, i'll check this out.

@AltsKev to be honest if it seems too far off it's a hack, hacking game center is not that hard.

5. Coffeecrash

Coffeecrash Member

Mar 30, 2017
    #385 Coffeecrash, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Sorry this is incomplete or partially incorrect: I haven't finished the document yet...

2) Enemies:

2.1) Strength: The number on the top-right of an enemy card is its strength. This will either represent how many stealth points it costs to step on the card, or it represents how many treasures you will get for stepping on that enemy card's blind spot, while it is unlit (keeping in mind that animal enemies don't give treasures).

2.2.2 Temporary Strength Boosters: There are 3 ways an enemy card's strength can be temporarily boosted, which is shown in the middle of a card. These symbols are an eyeball (if an adjacent enemy is looking at it, and can see that card), a fire symbol (usually happens when an adjacent card contains a torch), and a paw print symbol (happens when a dog is next to an enemy card, regardless of what direction the dog is facing, and regardless if the dog can see that card... but it should be noted that dogs can only boost non-animal enemies). Each of these 3 symbols gives a temporary +1 strength boost, for as long as those symbol(s) are there. For example, if a guard is next to a torch and a dog, it gets a temporary +2 strength booster -- but if you remove the torch, then the temporary strength booster goes down to +1. Please note you can only get each symbol once per card -- for example, if an enemy is next to three torches, it still only gets a +1 strength modifier from the fire symbol.

2.2.3 Permanent I'm-mad-at-you Booster: If your stealth is positive, and you move, and you land next to an enemy card, and that enemy card can see you, and that enemy card is looking at you, then that enemy gets a +1 I'm-mad-at-you Booster. Please note this usually requires for the player's card to be lit up, unless the enemy can see in the dark. If a non-animal enemy is mad at you, only that specific enemy will get a +1 Booster. If an animal is mad at you, then the +1 Booster will spread to all the non-animal enemies on the board. An enemy can give multiple +1 I'm-mad-at-you boosters in the same turn, if you set up the board correctly.

2.2.4 Permanent Intruder Booster: If your stealth is positive, and you move, and you take an enemy card, and that enemy card can see you, and that enemy card was facing you before you moved, then that enemy gives an Intruder Booster. Please note this usually requires for the enemy's card to be lit up, unless the enemy can see in the dark. The Intruder Booster gives a +1 strength booster to all the non-animal enemies on the board.

2.2.5 Temporary "The Path" Multiplier Booster: If a card contains an up-arrow symbol on the top-left of the card, then it will raise the value of "The Path" by +1, if you step on it. All strength values will be multiplied by whatever number "The Path" is, assuming you haven't stepped on that card already (stepping on a card will freeze its strength value). Only cards that are two spaces away from you (before you start moving) will have "The Path" up-arrows. Please note this means that if you start in the middle of the board, then zero cards can boost "The Path." If you start in a corner, then five cards can boost "The Path," and starting on an edge card (that isn't a corner) means that three cards can boost "The Path." You can see the current value of "The Path" on the top-middle of the screen. Please note "The Path" will reset itself back to 1, at the end of every turn.

6. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice looks great so far!

7. NightmareCC

NightmareCC Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    @Coffecrash: Hey your FAQ is pretty good. It describes many things pretty nicely. Keep it up and thank you.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N915FY mit Tapatalk

8. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Agreed, awesome start on the FAQ!

9. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    My hands are still sweating...just got back to the top of the third Castle with 179. Card Thief is my favorite iOS-Game since Threes and among the best five games of all time!

I really hope that battery optimization is a high priority but other than that: innovative, great design, perfect.

10. Matt KB

Matt KB New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Good FAQ. I agree with the sentiments about the game, it's excellent but the battery drain is a bit of an issue at the moment.

11. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Wow, that's a ton of loot #

12. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks CoffeeCrash, I didn't notice the small arrow.

13. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    hey I want to buy this game but will it run good on the Ipad 2? I don't plan on upgrading soono

14. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    because i need a little more hand holding to learn this game and the dev doesn't seem to want to provide anything beyond the tutorial and because i don't have 2 days to devote to learn this (that one was for HotHamBoy and his friend houseofg :D), i haven't played much beyond the tutorial but my ipad 2 seems to handle it quite well. again, haven't played for hours but no lags or hiccups so far.

15. MajesticLobster

MajesticLobster Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I'll have to sink some time into really learning this, it looks very much worth the effort! I still play Card Crawl all the time, this looks every bit as good. Who does the art work? I've admired the illustrations every time I play. Wish I could see the Card Thief illustrations better on my 6s screen, eyes are getting old :(

16. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    It definitely has a learning curve, but it is good fun.

17. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    The developer was goodly enough to give me the Android beta a couple of weeks ago because I was just tired of waiting for it to release since I already had played it on an iPhone 4S where it looked played and ran wonderfully with no issues.

The problem is and I know the developer will see this is I've had nothing but issues with the Android version since I got it and I'm really worried about the final release.

I've kept in touch with the developer constantly probably driving him nuts but I've had so many issues with the Android version that I'm thinking either it's because it's a beta and it will be fixed upon release or the game will just flat-out be problematic when it releases & be mirrored in reviews on Google Play.

It started out with touches not working on the castle screen. Click on play 5, 10 15, 20 times before the level loads up. I sent the developer a video of this and he says it's because the screen is slightly scrolling when I'm clicking play. So I just completely have stopped touching the screen altogether and just barely click in on the play button and it still does the same thing. It does not do this on the Apple version that I'm holding in my other head clicking play at the same time on both versions to see if I'm doing something wrong. Clicking play the exact same way on both versions this only happens on the Android version.This is not something that's my fault. It's clearly something wrong with the Android version.

I've also had on my Galaxy S7 nothing but terrible frame rates through and through to the point the game drops down to single frames. Again this does not happen on an extremely outdated iPhone 4S but on my Galaxy S7 that is Leaps and Bounds technology-wise ahead of that phone, low frame rates that I would imagine seeing in a modern high-end PC game trying to be ran on a PC from 10 years ago. This is clearly again something wrong with the Android version.

Lastly, Cloud saves are not working. The developer says that's on Google side and maybe it is and maybe it has something to do with it being the beta unreleased version but he's telling me the version I have is essentially the final version. I've already paid to unlock the full game with no ads and it is the exact same version as I play on iPhone through and through but playing on multiple Android devices I have a different games going on both even logged in to Google Play. It clearly is not loading a cloud save. Maybe it's not the developers fault again but the fact is I just switched phones and reinstalling it on a new device then logging in to Google Play it makes me start over. No statistics, no unlocks, nothing. It makes me start over from scratch.

Something is so wrong that on multiple Android devices I am able to play The Daily Heist on each one separately, logged in under the exact same Google Play login. Its essentially allowing me to be on the leaderboard multiple times under the same Google Play login if I'm good enough to make it to the top of the leaderboards. My name will be on there multiple times depending on how many Android devices I play the game on if I do well enough.

Something is very wrong with the Android version. I know the developer doesn't have time to look into everything but these are clearly issues making the game ultimately broken and I truly believe these things will be mirrored in the reviews once it releases on Android with people saying the same things because it can't just be me. It can't be something I'm doing wrong when I'm just loading the game up and playing it like I've done with every other game on my phone ever.

I just hope that these issues can be resolved shortly after release because there's no possible way I'm the only person on the Planet that's having these problems. But these problems for all intents and purposes make the Android version completely broken because between the touch screen not working, the frame rates being so poor that having to turn off card animations is the only way around it even on a high-end device and Cloud saves clearly not working it just makes the game feel thoroughly incomplete.

What bothers me the most is how the developer seems to be pointing the finger at me like I'm doing something wrong and it's my fault or it's Google's fault or whatever else. It makes me feel like he's not going to look into the code or whatever else is actually causing these problems because there is clearly something wrong and it can't be the players fault.

18. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    #398 HotHamBoy, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    The best advice i can give is to try and clear the board as often as possible so that you have 10 stealth points on the next turn. I didn't know that the first two days I played. Game changer.

Try to upgrade the cape asap and try to hold off on using it as long as possible, after you use the barrel and get the chest if you can. Many times I've painted myself in a corner with a big chest.

The sneak cards that refill your sneak points give more value the more steps you take before picking them up. Sometimes it's better to leave them on the board if the value is a 1 or 2.

I have a question about the boots upgrade - what triggers a picklock on the exit?

19. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    #399 Tinytouchtales, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    @Divine Retribution i read this post as frequently as my email, but thanks for posting your issues again. I know my answers weren't satisfying for you. The problem with Android is that there are just too many devices, different OS configurations, 3rd party apps that can block/influence other apps. I can't judge a problem based on a single report. We had a running beta test for Android in Januaray with about 200 testers on Android and none of them had your specific issues. This does not mean your issues are not real but maybe are only specific to you and your device configuration. For example your map touch issues are very specific and i can't help you here, because everyone is using his device differently.

I don't know if you ever had a chance to experience game development first hand. But fixing bugs never works like this. Even if you would tell me the exact issues in a very specific order it's not that i could go to that very position in code to fix the issues. Unfortunately it's way more complex than this. It's my number one priority to get the game as bug and issue free as possible but sometimes it just won't work or only effect a small group of players that i as the developer decide not to fix it because 99% of my players will never encounter this issue. I know that from the outside this looks and sounds really like i don't care, but on the other hand i'm really only just one guy sitting in his home office giving all the support i can possibly can.

Non the less: Because of your issue and your constant feedback i will start a second beta round on Android today, to validate any issues with Cloud Saving and what ever else will come up.

@MajesticLobster all art is done by the fantastic Mexer - check out his portfolio here: pigsell.com

20. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Card thief is awesome but it's not as addictive as card crawl
    Is card crawl 2 in the works already? :D