Universal Card Quest - Card Combat Game (by WinterSpring Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Shortdog5150

Shortdog5150 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Does anybody know if this game supports iCloud? So you can sync games between iPad and iPhone?

2. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    no icloud synch for now

3. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    This is a great game.

Talbs likes this.
  4. ctathemarius

ctathemarius Well-Known Member

May 11, 2018
    It can be a great game, but the developer & publisher never respond to inquiries from users over multiple times. It will be hard for them to expect an error fix or update to the game(Card Quest). I do not even know when this game will disappear from the App Store.

Harti likes this.
  5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The guy from HyperBeard is singing this game’s praises on Twitter. I want to buy it but I am still on the fence.

6. justelvis81

justelvis81 Active Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Pocket gamer gave it 9/10 and pocket tactics has given it 5/5. Hope it helps with anyone who is still on the fence with this one.

AltsKev likes this.
  7. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I was on the fence and decided to purchase it. I've completed the tutorials from the Wizard and Fighter and quite like it. I've read that the tutorials are less flexible (due to not being allowed to get hit), they're more a puzzle.

Knowing that the actual game has more freedom in your moves and thuis mistakes, I'm fairly sure I'll spend quite a lot of time on this.
    Also, I really dig the looks. I love the "oldskool" look, reminds me when I started gaming 30 years ago.

AltsKev likes this.
  8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I’m intrigued - on what basis is this game 3rd on TA’s hotlist?

I’ve been interested for yonks, and assumed continued interest = great game. Doesn’t look like the conversation is really happening tho!

9. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    I tried the Wizard training, the final is not winnable. At the end of turn 3, supposingly the master says it was over, then the thrid enemy still attacks you and you cannot play your defense card even if your "mana" power allows you to do so. If anyone has a hint, please kindly share.

Also, the training items other than the "tutorial" is not always accessible. Well, I think I am put this aside and play others first.

10. ctathemarius

ctathemarius Well-Known Member

May 11, 2018
    #30 ctathemarius, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Why did they give the score? They paid for pocket gamer and their users. If you are curious, please refer to their private group. I will exclude this developer and publisher in the future because they do not reply to user questions, but only consider a specific group. In addition, there are no updates since the game was released.

*Edit : Think again before trying this game.

11. Rarykos

Rarykos Active Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Europe
    it's Black Shell Media, the shadiest of the shady indie developers/publishers...
    There's continuous drama regarding their practices with developers and actual business practices. I thought they'd eventually change their name to avoid the painful past, but here we are :eek:

Maybe the game is good, I don't know, haven't played it yet. But the fact that it comes from the least trustworthy publisher in the indie scene is a big put off for me.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm back in here to say that this game is down right awesome and a very welcome addition to ios. If you like Dream Quest or Night of the Full Moon then you'll be right at home with this. It's very challenging and for me often requires full brain power to get through a run. Which is a great thing. There's lots of equipment to unlock so you're given that sense of progression and feeling of need to progress. There's also choices along the way that stop and make you think about the future of your card deck in the current run. As your run progresses you are offered upgrades to the deck. Not all upgrades are going to be the right decision for your deck so you need to stop and consider. Synergy amongst your cards is paramount to get back. Particularly in the later encounters nad boss fights you really need your deck to cycle so you can minimize your enemies turns, and maximise your own. The game is very tactical in this way.

I thoroughly recommend this game. I've noticed at least on the steam forum that the devs are periodically attentive and MIA at other times. (currently seems like they're MIA at the moment unfortunately lol. They're last game update was "Mac version is out".....well what about the ios version that came out over a month after that). So i am somewhat concerned for the games supported future. But that's because the game is that good. The devs tentative presence may be due to publisher issues?? I'm totally speculating on that because i was unaware of the reputation of this black shell media group, but cannot explain why the dev seems to go on hiatus at times. Personally i don't understand devs that don't or cant be bothered to get on forums like these to say hello.

And the reason why i haven't been posting much thoughts here in this thread is because TA doesn't support ios 9 browsers, and i'm not upgrading till the next iphones release so i have to open the old macbook just to write something.

Ijipop and Son of Anarchy like this.
  13. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Thinking of picking this one up.

Is the game optimized for iPhone X? I mean does it use the device’s full screen resolution?

None of the videos seem to depict that.

14. Shidoshi

Shidoshi New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Unfortunately it’s not optimized for the X’s Screen and it looks very small with the font as well. Great game that need some optimization for the X.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I agree that the game is not optimised and I agree that the font is a little small in some areas, but there is allowance to touch and hold on cards and enemies to enlarge the text and basically this is all the information you really need for this game (aside from stats on the right which is also viewable). The font is not an ideal choice and that’s been covered already. Though all this said, if you are interested in the game, I feel it would be serviceable. Though I’m playing now on a MAX. Couple of screenshots attached to illustrate enlarging cars and enemy text.

Attached Files:

16. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Ah. Damn. Thanks. I had a feeling it's not with the black bars. And doesn't look like the devs are going to optimize it anyway. (No updates from them since launch)

Even though I really wanna pick this one up. I guess I'll have to pass.

17. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah I read about the tapping to enlarge but even then, I would expect the game to be decently viewable on an iPhone X. The texts tell me they're really not good for long duration of plays and tapping and holding every new card would be a chore. Also, even if I am able to bare with the small texts, the black bars on the sides is just unacceptable for me on a premium game released in 2018.

Thanks for the info though. Saved me a few bucks for sure. :)

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    No worries at all and happy to help you with your decision. For me, this kind of game is few and far between and this is definitely one of the better ones. The mechanics are wholly there, it’s a great game, let a little bit down by the choice of text font really. But it’s fully playable. Yes it should’ve been developed for the iPhone X wide screen, but then again this is a card game. If you want graphic presentation bliss, then definitely don’t play dream quest if you were thinking about that one then!! (Btw a truly trumendous card roguelite), rather you should play the latest FPS and car driving games. I hear fortnite and GRID Autosport are well developed for the X.

I got an iPhone Xs Max on day one release and the first game I fired up to play was dream quest.

Not trying to show spite it’s just that this isn’t really a genre that’s well known for its graphic prowess anyway, so bare that in mind. As a recommendation, night of the full moon is probably graphically the best of this genre on iOS.

19. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    For me, It’s not all about the graphics. Never was into Battle Royale games and never will be. GRID Autosport runs like crap and I prefer Real Racing 3 over that for my racing itch. I played the crap out of Dungeon Maker : Dark Lord and Football Manager Mobile is my favorite mobile game franchise of all-time. It’s a default purchase for me every year and stays on my phone till the next one releases. I am currently playing Vampire’s Fall: Origins. (Look it up, maybe that’ll give you an idea of what I mean)

All I meant was it’s really not acceptable for me to pay for a game that doesn’t even fit on my phone properly when my phone is a year old. Moreover, if they actually had tried doing that, maybe, just maybe, the issue with the text size would have been resolved at least on an iPhone X and the future ones. That’s all.

20. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    It’s a little disappointing to see this game has no iCloud save.