Out Now Card of Darkness (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Endless dungeon is something I really want to get in there. We have a whole design around it and leaderboards. Hopefully in an update down the line.

2. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    sounds like 1.0.3 just got approved for release (it might take an hour or two to propagate)

andsoitgoes, ste86uk and AltsKev like this.
  3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    WOW. What a fantastic game! This is the only thing that has REALLY grabbed me so far on the Arcade to be honest, but this alone has made it worthwhile!

4. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    ... there is a weird bug though that causes the tutorial dungeon to fire up from time to time, usually after I put my phone to sleep and re-open.

5. Mathiastheninja

Sep 22, 2019
    This game is superfun, one of the best in AA! (for me, along with Tangle Tower, Bermuda, Overland, Sayonara and whatthegolf)

Just finished the last monster "boss", anyone knows if there are any expansions planned?

andsoitgoes likes this.
  6. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    the tutorial dungeon opens if you tap the well

7. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    congrats! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

We definitely are thinking about how to do an endless mode and have some expansions planned

Mathiastheninja and andsoitgoes like this.
  8. Mithel

Mithel Active Member

May 9, 2012
    Are gold and buttons supposed to disappear from your inventory between sessions? For example, when I put my phone down last night I had 100 gold and one button, and this morning I have no gold and no buttons.

9. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #29 stfj, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    make sure you are updated to 1.0.3 (and that you were updated at the time of the issue)
    things should be okay in that version

10. Mithel

Mithel Active Member

May 9, 2012
    I downloaded the game yesterday, so I think it should be 1.0.3, and I'm still seeing this error. Not sure about the version on my iPad though.

11. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    oof. hm that's not good! Can you provide any more information about the bug? Does it only occur between sessions?

12. Mithel

Mithel Active Member

May 9, 2012
    As far as I can tell, yes. Gold and buttons persist as long as am I'm playing, but if I leave the app long enough my gold and buttons disappear.

13. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    weeeeeird. I haven't been able to replicate that on my end, but ill keep digging. thanks

14. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Absolutely loving this game. My only problem is that iCloud sync seems slow / inconsistent.

Played last night on my iPad Pro, and wanted to continue today on my phone - but the progress is not there. Even though the achievement for beating the first level Boss is in Gamescenter.

Had the same problem yesterday when playing on my phone commuting home. Had to force quite and relaunch the game multiple times on both devices before progress was synced to the iPad.

15. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    sounds like a your device-to-icloud syncing issue. From talking to you on twitter it sounds like it's cleared up, but I'll work on adding some more information about how the syncing is going into the game so it's less of a surprise next time and easier to fix

16. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Thanks, yeah it seems like it may have been iCloud issues, but good idea about more info - maybe also to allow syncing even if the game is already running. Meanwhile thanks for being so responsive and for at absolutely fabulous game that I'm enjoying the crap out of.

17. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    ok I was hesitant to start this game, mainly due to the graphic presentation. I hate this particular art style, but that is just me. After reading a bit about it and gave it a try and the game sooo addicting. The core mechanism of picking up a card is so simple, elegant and they do so much with the formula to keep the idea interesting and fresh. Game also has a bit of push your luck mechanism, when you can exit a level, but can choose to stay and dig for better weapons/gold/health, but with a risk revealing a tough enemy. So good!

I have two complaints:

The sword your character wields it doesn't work like sword; it's more like a shield. You are defeating the monsters Either way, the value of the weapon only decreases the amount of damage you receive, hence it should be a shield.

It's a bit too random. You can enter a level and see nothing but enemies and there is nothing you can do about it, but when you re-enter the level you can have perfect combination of weapons and enemies to create an easy path to the exit. This gives the game an incredibly swingy feel with not player influence over the board state.

Also it's not a card game per se. It's neither a ccg nor a deckbuilder, not even a traditional card game. It's more like a solitaire game.

This is a type of game that works perfectly on mobile and I wouldn't even think of playing it anywhere else. 2D graphics doesn't melt the battery and the controls are perfect for a small, touch screens.

PS. My current Top 3 Apple arcade games. -1- What the Golf, -2- Cards of Darkness, -3 GrindStone.

18. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Seems my iCloud sync issues are not over anyway. Other games are syncing fine.
    I hope more robust/transparent syncing will arrive in the next update

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I have to say the art style and aesthetic along with the challenging but not impossible gameplay have really bowled me over.

I love the art style of PW, it feels like I’m playing a spiritual successor of adventure time.

quite a fun romp and that “crap room draw let me try it one more... two more... wow I beat it just one more level” kind of feel is exactly the sign of a great game.

beats the bloody snot out of my XS Max battery though, oof.

20. uaq

uaq Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    The music is phenomenally good. Glinhorn forest is my favourite.