Universal Card Hog (by SnoutUp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 22, 2021.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome thank you! I'll leave some impressions when I can. I'm excited already :D

2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Idk I’d there are any codes left but this totally looks like my jam, and I’d definitely leave my impressions of a code were sent my way :)

SnoutUP likes this.
  3. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    #23 solarnya, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    I want a code if there's left.
    I like this game's system and artwork.
    My favortite pig game is Gesundheit!
    I'll buy it if there's no any code available:)

SnoutUP likes this.
  4. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Nice game. Bought for ipad and for my android phone. ;)
    Great when pig rides bull!

SnoutUP and solarnya like this.
  5. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Lovely game and quite addicting. You just keep playing and playing. It's quite good!

I do have a big concern. The battery drain / strain on this game is extremely high and I don't know why. My device gets super hot when I play this game. I even lowered the game to 40fps and it didn't help :/

6. SnoutUP

SnoutUP Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! The battery strain is a problem I've heard mentioned a few times, looked into but couldn't find a cause yet. Another thing you could try is to disable auto-save. There will be a risk of losing progress, but it MIGHT lower amount of stress on the device until I'll find a way to optimize saving more or get some clues from the engine (GameMaker Studio) support.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  7. justelvis81

justelvis81 Active Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Really enjoying the game. Has that just 1 more go feel to it. Enjoying unlocking all the cards and characters etc. Just 1 thing tho is it’s a big battery hog (pun intended). My phone gets hot after a short time and the battery goes down really quickly. Have tried lowering the FPS to 30 but doesn’t make much difference. Still loving it tho just can’t play for long stints (due to battery drain)

8. SnoutUP

Thank you!

I just got some good news and bad news from the GameMaker Studio support... Good news, overactive CPU is a known engine bug and it's been fixed recently. Bad news, it's only fixed in beta version of the engine making it pretty risky to use in production. I'm still going to try and aim for an update this/next week, which hopefully would make this game less of a battery... hog.

iCloud saving are also in my plans, but might take more time.

9. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for keeping us updated. Battery is pretty important for me because I want to be able to play for long amounts of time and if the battery gets hot / drains, I usually stop. Even the newest iPhones don't have as much battery as I'd like. Plus it can get pretty uncomfortable in your hands. But I'm definitely looking forward to a fix, I'll be keeping a look out!

SnoutUP likes this.
  10. SnoutUP

Working on an update and wanted to reiterate that everyone should feel free to let me know if you have any feature or UI improvement requests! Some things just slip through my eyes, but could be easy and fast to fix or change after someone points at the issue.

For example, some player asked for card information popups to be easily closable to avoid accidental movement inputs and that makes total sense. Also, I realized that time for which you need to hold the card to see its info is way too long and might be the reason why some people don't use it.

11. Hoodin

Hoodin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I actually own two pigs, Moose and Betty! They’re named after the characters from Archie Comics and are super cute! My favourite video game pig is probably the Poogie from Monster Hunter World! He wears pyjamas!!!!

SnoutUP likes this.
  12. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    Congrats on the New Games We Love Feature here in the UK (I presume Euro)!

SnoutUP likes this.
  13. jacekstanis

jacekstanis Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Would love a code if there are any left.
    Like the pigs in Shaun the sheep in Fleece Lightning

SnoutUP likes this.
  14. jacekstanis

jacekstanis Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree about feeling sorry for the pigs in Angry Birds.

15. SnoutUP

Haha, I need pics! My dream is to own a pet pig one day when I'll have room and time for it :) And that Poogie pig is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

16. Hoodin

Hoodin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Black = Betty
    Pink = Moose
    They say thoinks for the code!!!

Attached Files:

17. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I’m really enjoying the game!

My request is to fill in the enemies’ health heart with red and the damage with something else. Maybe blue or grey? Rather than having them blank..

18. SnoutUP

Thank you! Initially I tried out colored card values, but it just added so much visual noise. I could probably experiment with something again, but maybe after illustrator will get new card background frames done.

---

UPDATE (1.0.3)
    • Card information popups can now be closed by touching them
    • Disabled save function when player is in skill targeting state which could cause soft-lock
    • Preventing second player card from spawning (still investigating the cause)
    • Removed "Banner removal" from the upgrades
    • Fixed a bug which would soft-lock the game after resuming the run while in mind control
    • Fixed strings in certain translations not being capitalized
    • Fixed "Loops" being labeled as "Damage dealt" in game over screen
    • Slightly adjusted zoom levels in smaller rooms to avoid blurry look
    • Potentially improved battery drain (waiting for confirmation from players who experienced the issue)

Hopefully this will sort out some of the immediate issues and I'm praying to gods of software that me using unstable version of the engine to get the battery drain sorted would not cause any new problems.

19. justelvis81

justelvis81 Active Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Have to say the new update has done great job on the battery drain. Played for about half an hour and it only went down 3% and my phone isn’t getting hot either. Thanks for fixing it so quickly

SnoutUP likes this.
  20. SnoutUP

Oh, the RELIEF I feel right now, haha! Thank you for testing it out and sharing your results.