Universal Card Dungeon (by Playtap Games, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    There is potential for an undeniably good game here, but the current version has a variety of issues holding it back.

* The game crashes, a lot (on my iPad 4). It has a rudimentary auto-save, however it loads back to the beginning of the floor with the hand I was last using in the condition I left it. This means that if I was standing next to an altar with three broken cards trying to repair them I would resume at the start of the floor with three broken cards. Entirely unacceptable. The game needs to auto-save every few turns, and not just the state of my cards and character but also the state of the dungeon.

* The controls are not ideal, complicated further by the hard to view health/mp stats. You can pan, but only to a very small range. This can mean that in a large room you will likely not be able to view an enemy's health if it's too far. The game also needs a better zoom scale. Right now it zooms in a lot, to a degree that's not really of any use, but you can only zoom out to view about 7-8 tiles around you.

* You only have the choice to discard loot, not leave it on the floor. This makes managing your deteriorating hand difficult. You have the choice of either checking the loot and having to discard a potentially good card because your current cards are in a good state or picking up a marginally good card because your card is about to break. Leaving loot on the floor would alleviate the issue of having broken cards as you can just backtrack to a good card.

* Physical attacks costing mana is an odd design choice. It's subjective but it just comes off as bizarre to me.

* It's cute having the stats at the stand base, but have them on the back of the stand too so you don't have to constantly spin around the camera to know if an attack will be a killing blow. If this feels too much like straying from the visual design then provide it as an option instead.

* When there are no enemies in sight allow the player to tap a distant tile for multiple moves instead of having to tap again and again. walking back and forth through cleared rooms can be exhausting.

* Being limited to only three cards is an issue when the game has a wealth of utility cards. When you are hounded by the constant threat of durability you would much rather carry only attack cards and maybe a healing card. I would simply never pick up a utility card like a teleport or dodge or leap. Providing an additional slot limited to utility cards would add a lot of depth to game.

* Implement a scoring mechanic. While it is evident that Card Dungeon i more geared towards direct progression rather than score chasing, almost every rogue-like benefits from having a score system.

* Implement a bestiary/compendium. The beauty of rogue-likes is discovery, of mobs, items, traps, bosses. Having the ability to view them outside of a run as you slowly discover them is intensely gratifying as it hooks into the desire for progression.

2. Miza

Miza Member

Oct 2, 2014
    In regards to the iphone 5 and it being very small, I commented before on dead space on the screen and here is a prime example. A pic of getting a loot and a pic of tapping on the card to zoom in. Notice all the dead space not used, there is no need to tap to zoom. Just make the popups all bigger and eliminate the need to zoom in period. Even after zooming in on the card there is still alot of dead space that could be used. Also the fonts guys, fix the fonts for smaller devices.

Attached Files:

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Very well said! i second all of those points, + add a basic, weak, unlimited attack and more avatars in the future.

4. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Honest to god, I haven't been able to
    Open the shop. My negative trait says I can only purchase 1 thing there. No idea where it is.

5. sbirksy666

sbirksy666 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    It's at the end of the level say a level has 3 parts
    It will be in part three usually hanging around the main boss

6. nosoup4crr

Apr 29, 2011
    : / I just started a new game. Cleared all of level 1-3. Still no idea what I'm looking for. I think I've walked every inch. There's the little curse/bless fountain. There's the portal. Nothing else. What does the shop look like?

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The shop is actually a traveling merchant. He is an NPC you will find wandering around on the third floor. Interact with him to buy upgrades.

8. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Oh...how does he look like? I have played quite a few third floor games and didn't notice a wandering merchant.

Does the upgrade stay with the player or is consumed in the current game?

9. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    at first i thought it was some huge spider-thing with curtains and i mindcontrolled it. Then i tapped on it and it said travelling merchant, i was like wtf, zoomed in and then "ooooh... so that's it!" and i bought a health upgrade.. :p

10. nosoup4crr

Apr 29, 2011
    Is he killable? I think I might know what you're talking about...and I kill that thing every time, heh.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    He basically looks like a merchant standing in front of a small shop. His "sprite" is large, almost like a boss, but he simply walks around. He has 1 mana and 5 health. The upgrade only stays with you for the current run, I think, since the negative trait you choose when starting a run is tied to purchases.

12. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    OH hahaha...that rang many bells! I killed a few of that stall-looking 'monsters'. He was always mixing with the boss and monsters and always killed on sight for me. hahaha

13. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Bugs aside (or it just being my 4s)

Great game, im sure it will be even greater when everything smooths out.

Anyway for me its right on my home page along side DreamQuest

14. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, this has a LOT of promise, if they listen to our suggestions here for an update, it could really be perfect!

15. Anteros

Anteros Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    #155 Anteros, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    I agree with everyone else's comments. Looks like it has amazing potential but I've crashed 3 times and unable to even finish 1 floor. I suggest a hotfix ASAP. Iphone 5 7.1 ios

Crashed when looking at cards that other monsters played.

Crashed when turning screen.

Movement is really slow in 1-1, some rooms have lots of wildlife chests and no monsters.. Endless doors.. Takes a long time to do anything.

Loving the concept, I keep playing and crashing.. Building up armor and money.

16. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Running on my iPad mini with retina, the game has not crashed once.

I am on the second dungeon.

I am really enjoying this game!

Thanks to the developers.

17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Some excellent suggestions, hopefully the developers take note.

18. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    sapphire_neo's list is comprehensive with most everyone here either agreeing to some or all of the points. that means people like the game but won't love it until some changes are implemented. Yet CardDungeon, the developer, has said nothing since many posts ago he said he was taking notes. you would think with so many people asking (begging) for improvements he would chime in with some calming words. i'm surprised he hasn't and wondering why not.

19. malatoth

malatoth Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Cant get past dungeon 1-2. Game crashes randomly after 60 seconds or 5 minutes. This game needs an auto save. If i even check an incoming email and come back i have to start the dungeon all over again. Sure it ll get fixed but i ll wait with playing. 4s ios 7.
    Epic game by the way !

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    ALL great points there SN, but implementing some sort of scoring has got to be my #1 wish personally. :)