Universal Card Dungeon (by Playtap Games, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I disagree. The player isn't making informed choices.

What I think this has the potential to be is like a turn-based Binding of Isaac. You have limited inventory slots, and have to pick and choose what items you pick up and use. THAT part of this game is really compelling, and why I think they should stick to a limited inventory, but having the cards break (at least in the current iteration) isn't fun. There are a host of other ways to deal with this. If the developer doesn't like default attacks, and doesn't want to expand the inventory, the cards could decrease in effectiveness as they are used. Then you could be forced to make tough choices between swapping a great card with limited uses for a lesser one. Those are fun and challenging decisions. That's a game I'd like to play.

2. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I lmao at this card :D
    I'm really enjoying everything about this so far though. The way the cards slowly degrade and the way you have to choose which ones to take with you.
    I did just have the end portal "after killing a mini boss" not work so I couldn't exit the level and just had to force close the app, but it started me on the next level when I reopened the app anyway :D
    So couple of little bugs to sort out but, still needs a save/resume button. But all in all a brilliant game.

Attached Files:

3. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    You can easily tell when the cards are about to break, they get a white washed color

This game is a rogue-like, it's supposed to be tough

4. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    This game is doing well at no.8 of US itune store now.

Congrats to the developer!

Interestingly, my first run of the game fared the best. Probably because I have the + Crusader's breath where I got healed 5 HP on many turns.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^I'm surprised to be honest. Potentially its a great game but its like they didnt use a QA team. I mean didnt anyone test it on an iphone 4s or 5 where the text is soooooo small ? Same for an autosave function. They've created a great looking game but i dont mean to sound negative but 'some' companies just dont seem to have a proper testing team. This is where asking iOS gamers to test a beta release would have been ideal as surely one (or all of them) would have mentioned these issues

I'm stunned how that got past everybody, glaring issue

6. Flip90

Flip90 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    can anyone tell me what this looks like on the standard iphone 6. Read that was ok on the 6+ but text is small on a 5s. cheers

7. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Well my pic above was from my iPhone5s and I don't have a problem with the text. Sure when the cards normal on the screen but when you tap to zoom in on an individual card it's fine.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Whats it like when you press the Help icon in the top left corner ?

9. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Hmm is never pressed that before , it's tiny.

10. Zephro

Zephro Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I hope they fix the fonts on iphone (5), they're way too small.

11. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game, it's definitely my favourite release this week, even over Banner Saga. I've never played anything like it. The cards 'breaking' is an interesting mechanic that works well. The only thing I'd like to see, as others have pointed out, is a better save system in case of crashes.

12. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    It's amusing to see the beginning of this thread a couple months ago where they say " we don't need any more beta testers... we're pretty much finished with testing".

Looks like some of the offered input back then may have indeed been helpful...

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i don't know why but this game reminds me the old good Dungeon Crawlers, imho maybe the best 3D turn based dungeon crawler on the AppStore.
    i've just reinstalled it and let me tell that this guys would have to play and take cues from it, though it doesn't have the cards system.
    anyway, imo it's funniest and well balanced than CD, so i'll return on it 'cause never finished.

14. Machiknight

Machiknight Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    To those few people who are bitching about this being a rip-off of card hunter, you have obviously either not played this game, or not played card hunter, because the differences are enough that this is a totally different game. Anyway.

I understand the complaints people are having about cards breaking then not having attacks etc. I also understand the intent of this game was to make you have to realize "hey my card is going to break soon (see how beat up it's looking?) I probably need to equip this next card!" The intent is to go for that rogue-like flavor, and frankly, I really like it. once I understood HOW the game was meant to be played, I found myself swapping out cards OFTEN. Based on the majority of the complaint though, in order to translate the player base into more purchases some changes could occur to make it more accessible.

Here are a couple ideas that I think could be implemented individually or as a whole.

1. Give the cards counters that how many uses left. This would make it have more of a storm casters feel.
    2. Give the players a "backup" slot for a card so they never run out of attacks. When one card breaks, they pull their backup card out, and know they have to be on the hunt for a new backup!
    3. Someone else suggested this but I think it's a great idea: when a card breaks have it's effectiveness hampered tremendously so it can still be used as a last-ditch attack until you can get a new card.

All in all, I really like this game, now if it would QUIT CRASHING I would LOVE this game.

15. Flip90

Flip90 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanx think al pick this up while its 50% off

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just played for an hour or so. And well, I don't know whether to feel that was fulfilling or I want to throw my phone at the wall. Spent most the time with a broken or almost broken or no dagger! And some of the time with no attack at all but maybe a kind of "mind control card". I guess that heightens the suspense but man do I feel under equipped. And the deeper I go the worse it gets. Got "lucky" and encountered bosses like in the next room on some levels so I was fresh and just able to scrape through to the next level. But my attack situation is just dire and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to just rely on the game giving me at least a new dagger next drop or not, and if not, well then I'm toast. Don't know yet if that's a good challenging thing, or if after a few re-attempts of a level, that's gonna be a projectile phone situation = genious bar appointment for applecare.

17. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
  18. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Finding the game less and less fun. Besides the crashes with no auto save, I find the inability to attack a really poor design choice. I've started to only stock attack cards, so I don't have to just run from everything. But what is the use of having a variety of other cards when you can't afford to have anything but attacks?

19. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I don't really mind the idea of cards breaking and careful management needed. However, Card Dungeon is not a great implementation of this idea. Similar mechanics have been used in other games and the problem is always the same, it leads to a need to use only attacks and perhaps a select few utility. Inevitably this leaves a huge chunk of abilities as completely unusable. A simple solution would have been to have the cards in categories, allowing something along the lines of a storage of 2-3 'red' cards that would have been attack, 1-2 'green' cards that would have been healing/buffs, and 1-2 'blue' cards that would have been other utility such as teleports, detect traps, etc. Thus the game would have retained the core concept of managing what you keep and monitoring what will break, but allow utility cards to have a place rather than feel like detrimental clogs to your limited ability pool.

I like the idea of this game, but it simply wasn't thought out well. It needs polish and tweaking. If the developers show a bit of initiative though, it could turn out to be a decent game.

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #140 Misguided, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    @machiknight agreed. The game looks like Card Hunter at a glance, but aside from moving through a dungeon and having cards, the play style is very different.

Like the idea of it, but the fun (to me) should be in making smart choices and finding great combos. If different rarity cards had a known chance to break , that would work too. Do I want to use this weak attack that is unlikely to break, or this amazing one that is sure to? And if you had a default attack to fall back on, that adds a whole new level to gameplay, because then it might be worth taking that card you know is going to break to beat a tough boss, but can you get to him using the basic attack?

I've played a fair number of roguelikes--my favorite being Shiren the Wanderer. This isn't about making the game easier, but better. The best roguelikes communicate info to the player really well. When you screw up, you know what you did wrong and can work to not make the same mistake. With better communication to the player, they could make the game MORE difficult.