Universal Card Dungeon (by Playtap Games, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    This game really needs an auto-save feature. I don't think a save/load game feature that people could abuse is needed, but it is on a mobile platform and having no method of resuming progress is simply poor design. The fact that it crashes often also does not help the case of not having auto-save.

2. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I like it a lot however. It really needs to have an inventory that allows you to save one or two attack cards. It totally blows to run out of attacks. It like totally derails the game. Save obviously is required.....

I love it but those two flaws hurt hahahaha. I'm still gonna play lota

3. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I just tried the game and spent way too much time and effort trying to orient the board. It may work with a right mouse button but the game is ruined by me having to hover my big fat hand over the iPad all the time trying to adjust the view. I spent more time doing that than playing the game. It is just too unwieldy. Some easier, more natural way to navigate needs to be implemented but I don't think that's a realistic request so I guess it's back to Galaxy a Trucker.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    To reiterate what others have said, the lack of a default attack is, frankly, ludicrous. Actually, the fact that cards can break at all when we can hold only three and can't hold any cards in reserve makes no sense. I think that staprategy should be in finding cards and deciding what combo to use, not being concerned about them breaking. The break mechanic should be removed completely or the hand expanded.

There doesn't seem to be any warning before a card wears out.

There should be a confirmation before exiting a level.

Neat ideas here, but not sure I want to bother playing further until some tweaks are made.

5. eskatonic

eskatonic Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Add me to those that think this game needs a fundamental rethink.

With only three card slots and no way of storing cards for later use its way too luck based. Played a few games and every time just run out of cards that do damage and have to run away desperately trying to find a card that does damage again.

Meanwhile the monsters can re-use their own attacks again and again.

Theres a cool concept here, but it seems to me to have very little balance or play testing done. To me it would be a lot more strategic (and fun) to let you keep and manage a lot more than three cards, but maybe each card can be used less times.

other complaints: camera is painful
    monster turn takes way too long, destroys the flow of play

6. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    The save or auto save its really a must...

7. zeratulo

zeratulo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Everything you're complaining about is kind of the point of the game. You're SUPPOSED to manage your cards. The lack of knowing when the card will break is there to add unpredictability.

8. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    I agree with you :) ... on the other hand it really needs a save :)

9. tamykatakki

tamykatakki Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    You can somewhat predict when a card is going to break through how the card looks visually. It slowly gains a small hole which gets bigger and more ragged. Doesn't exactly give amount of uses left but you can guesstimate

10. eskatonic

eskatonic Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Meh, the game as it currently stands is just not fun, see my comments above.

If its re-balanced or tweaked in some way I'll give it another shot, as it stands not interested in playing.

11. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    This game has so much potential. I hope the dev's just continue to tweak and make it great. I hope they add more content like Badlands and keep it on our idevices. I definitely can see this being promoted in App Store

12. Hobbesian

Hobbesian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Crashing like hell on ios 7.1.2 / iPad 2. Needs an urgent look.

13. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Love these sorts of games, bought. Hope it's good :)

14. bajaresident

bajaresident Member

May 9, 2012
    This is a ripoff of card hunter. Grats.

15. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    After reading most of this thread, I've decided that the best solution would be to port Card Hunter to the iPad. I'm mean seriously. It just makes perfect sense.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Card Hunter is already coming to iOS, but as Loot & Legends, which is a pretty terrible name.

17. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh dear, should've read the comments first. I can barely read a thing on my iphone 5. it's just too small, can there be some sort of small device mode? I don't have an ipad to play it on.

Also i don't really know what's going on, is there a tutorial i have no idea what the symbols on the cards mean, is there any sort of guide about mana/stamina etc?

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but this game needs a balance update bad. Love the 3 card mechanic. Love the look. But the difficulty is completely absent once you start to get going. I literally had find 4 or 5 mobs to surround me to kill me off because I was bored of playing with such ease. It destroys what the game is suppose to be, a difficult RL dungeon crawl.

19. deputy

deputy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    New York
    So I really am enjoying this game, but I do agree that the limited hand size makes some of the cards completely useless. Why would I want to waste a slot on a card that checks for traps in chests, when chests are rarely trapped and I need all the damage I can get? How about have 3 slots for damage cards, and maybe one slot for "utility" cards? It would really make all the cards more useful and allow for more strategy.

I love the randomization, though, I don't think that should change. This is a rouge-like game, you will lose, and you will do so often. The challenge is what makes it fun.

20. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    whats the appsize after downloading?