Universal Card Dungeon (by Playtap Games, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The problem is it isn't always about properly managing your cards. I've played a game where I never found a second attack card. Once the first one was gone, there was nothing to do but run away till I died. The only effective way I have found to avoid this is to exclude all cards but attack ones, which totally defeats the purpose of having a variety of cards.

Maybe he is only ooooooomonkey when he is wearing a tuxedo.

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Whether or not they add a basic attack, they need at least one separate slot for utility cards. It feels like currently half the cards I find are not worth a second glance as card slots are simply too valuable to use for anything other than attacks. This flat out limits a huge chunk of the possible variety the game could otherwise offer.

Another thing I am starting to feel the more I play is that this game has no 'soul'. By this I mean that it is oddly flat in terms of story, lore, and general personality. While I don't expect deep world crafting, even board game dungeon crawls offer some thematic touches that make them unique and offer a sense of purpose to the overall adventure. Card Dungeon simply feels like players do things because there are things to be done. I don't feel the designer is invested in their world, and thus I don't become invested beyond the core gameplay.

Also, as it can't be said enough, a better save system is obviously needed.

I think this game has some good points. I don't know that it breaks any new ground, or does anything special that will make it a timeless classic, but with some work utilizing player feedback, at the least it can become a solid, enjoyable RPG.

3. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm against a basic attack. I can't tell you how many times I haven't had any kind of straight attack type card, but had to improvise with poisoning or bleed damage then run away etc. The cards that create the unholy space or the lava or the drought card are very very powerful. It's a lot of fun being forced the think outside the box.

I suppose some cards might be less useful depends on what you have. Teleport or pushes pulls seem pretty situational.

4. keroppikai

keroppikai Member

May 27, 2012
    Male
    English as a Second Language Teacher
    Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
    inventory item cards

there's a problem with some of the inventory item cards ie weapon and armor. i've gotten cards that say they'll boost mana or health by +5 and discarded items i have in my inventory for these cards, but they have no effect on my mana or health.

5. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Fairly sure least some cards which should do damage and stun wont stun. Or is it meant stunned enemies can move? Also sometimes I cant loot enemies. Furthermore on one occasion me and enemy shared a square.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Whoa, whoa! Sexy Pirate is oooooomonkey? :confused:

7. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I am indeed :) I couldn't change my profile name so I just started a new account. Times are a changing and I needed a new alter ego.

8. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Played this game in bursts over the weekend, up to chapter 6.

I don't find it crashing as much except when i try to view monsters, or their cards/spells. Which usually results in a crash. As such I don't bother looking.

I agree that my card slots are reserved for cards that do some sort of damage and will never carry anything purely for utility.

Either I'm still farting through the 'easy' levels or my cards are too strong, but I don't have any sense of danger while playing. Numerous times, i'll teleport straight into the middle of 3-4 monsters (with a burning teleport or teleport stab or something) Everything in the room will attack me but I don't think i've ever come down to single digit health? or maybe I regenerate it too quickly?

Same goes for mana, it almost seems like I have an unlimited supply, I understand that some cards are good simply because they have low mana cost (old mtg player here) however I seem to regen mana faster than I can burn it? as such all my cards are bigger cards costing 7-8 to cast (I don't really know if that's big) and i'll never have any issue casting anything.

I have no idea what to do with knowledge gems, I presume I use them the next time i create a character? but that seems like quite a long time considering i'm quite a casual player.

Merchants need to stay put. The first few levels I killed them on sight but since realised what they were. Even so, chasing them around the room isn't fun, especially when they move at the same 1 tile/turn that you do, and on at least 2 occassions they ran into traps and killed themselves while I chased them.

That's all I can think of for now.

Oh, and I agree that the game, as it is now doesn't feel like it has much of a soul.
    I'll start a level, and basically it's just run around kill everything, I don't really notice any difference between monsters, I can neither read their descriptions nor their attacks (due to crashes) so it's basically kill everything on sight. I appreciate that the room has traps and stuff which would be fun for strategising, but currently the game seems more like a rail shooter. Each level seems more or less the same with nothing memorable, just different skins for monsters and the room. It's a case of progressing through room to room, clearing things, kill boss and next level. I don't feel any sort of character development, there's nothing Im saving money for or no skills I'm working towards obtaining.

9. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I actually dislike action RPGs now. Strictly turn based for me. Sadly, I have used this username for too long and too many sites to change now.

10. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #190 gmattergames, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Regarding the ability card limitations: Even though the game depicts something completely fictitious, this notion of fading abilities is completely illogical. While understand the intent (force the player to constantly adjust and plan ahead), it is simply implausible. The notion that repeating an action over and over eventually causes you to "forget" how to do it, makes absolutely no sense, in fact, repetitative use of an ability should cause it to improve.

I imagine this mechanic evolved as a way to replicate a dynamic found in their flagship browser game, "Card Hunters" where available actions are dependent upon random draw from a deck. It's easy to "strand" a character with no actions, in the middle of a large battle unless you plan and pace actions carefully. Thing is, in "Card Dungeon", there is no deck, and attack cards seems to drop randomly. Without an ability to hold cards in reserve,it's very possible to become trapped, and be forced to quit.

For me, this limitation adds no appeal and detracts from the rpg experience.

On the other hand, what's left, is not that bad of an experience either. In fact, the card fading bit is the core of the games rouguelike mechanic and leveraging it tactfully is the key to survival and enjoyment of the game.

11. malatoth

malatoth Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Knowledge gems anyone ? Found over 6 of them. Have no clue how to use them.
    Cant get past 1-2. Crashes too often. Hope the patch fixes all the bugs.

12. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Never to late to change. I've been using oooooomonkey for the past 13/14 years and am slowly just getting round to changing them one by one :D

Back on track with the game tho I'm enjoying this. Hasn't crashed again since I got a crash on the first day? I like the card wearing away graphics, I'd say you need to be able to move quicker when there's nothing around as its slow moving tile by tile. Then just a save function and I'll be happy.
    Love then overall style of the game.

13. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Hmmmm. Getting old? Not as sexy? Or have a kid and want a more G-rated handle? ;-)

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Malatoth, for the knowledge gems, in the new game where you select advantage / disadvantage, you can drag dvantage / disadvantage locked cards in the middle space and unlock them, as many as you have gems

15. gmattergames

Mar 1, 2013
    I think I echo the prevailing thought that both gold and knowledge gems "feel" pointless. Gold, at least in the first run, becuase you can only make one purchase, that is, if you happen to find the merchant. knowledge gems are only valuable on subsequent runs. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm playing this as a roguelike, and will venture as far as possible (currently, scenario 4) and have no intention of throwing my first run just to re-roll my Crusader. As such, gems too, are useless, especially if I happen to finish the game with my first Crusader.

I think the gems represent an opportunity to solve another point of contention, many find frustrating, card fading. I have a dozen or so gems, and would gladly sacrifice them to refresh abilities.

16. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Edit: didnt read all way trough what I quoted

17. CardDungeon

CardDungeon Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There are fonts on every level that you can approach and interact with. If the Lords are willing they will bless you and refresh you current set of cards, as well as top off your health and mana.

18. gmattergames

Mar 1, 2013
    Yes, and they are probably the most precious element of the game and use of them has to be carefully managed. But even the most carefully planned use of Fonts, is only effective, "if", like you said, "the lords are willing."

19. frownface

frownface Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I didn't even realise that they could curse you until I had started over :S
    On my first play (which ended at 6-1 due to my own silliness) I didn't encounter a single instance where the font didn't bless me.

Imagine my shock when I read that it cursed me when I was on level 1-2

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Was cursed on my first use lol. Remember thinking "why on earth would you even approach that thing if that's what it does.