Universal Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jul 30, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are swords and shields supposed to always come in matching sets?

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Can someone tell me what the mystery cards do? I don't want to waste my coins on one blindly.
    Thanks!

3. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    ^ I'm pretty sure they tell you what they do right to the side of the card when you go to "collection" -__-

4. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    The last few of them have only a bunch of question marks next to them.

5. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    can anyone tell me whats the highest score in the game? as i only could get 88 in hard mode. thanks ~

6. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    I noticed that, too. It wasn't like that in the beta.

7. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I think that's a good thing. After all if you enjoy the game and play just to play you'll constantly have more money coming in. Admittedly it takes a LOT of coins for those last few cards but at least there are some long term goals to shoot for.

Man the sounds are just perfect in the this game. Art is fantastic too... I just wish the animation was smoother. Then you'd have -perfection- in an awesome solitaire game.

It would be nice too if it proclaimed "victory!" over the troll's head when you win. He could also use a little smoke coming out of his ears to go with his angry expression :D

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Carter's review is spot on, imho. Congrats!

Of course, i gave 5 stars for this pearl in my swiss store too, but i also would have hold back half a star as it is now. Why?

Most games don't even come that close to perfect and anywhere as near to my heart as yours. Also, the people here do clearly see your thoughts and love you invested, no doubt about that either.
    And yet...there are so many little not perfectly satisfied details i found, where i immediately thought - oh, why didn't they think of it...(stupid money and time comes into play, i know)

My examples: bad chosen icon (only the fist with four cards, card-shaped would have looked pointier). I want to push the lovely pause-bat for both (no cross on top). The beer swaping sound doesn't fit at all (too modern). More dealers and animations. Let him talk a bit (oh, go to hell, noooo, you're doomed...situation fitted). More avatares. Highlighted cards after powered-up. Death scene is way to little and short (hardly can see and appreciate the art work).

All this is absolutely no game breaking stuff and and i really hope you succed as a paid app. Because then, and only then, you could be able to invest more in updates and even new decks (gladly pay for them).

(All this nit-picking nagging is my personal point of view and my mental insanity is trademarked, for all you head shakers out there ;) )

9. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice. We have indeed planed some of the stuff you described and we will start improving all the little things as fast as we can. Content wise we also have a lot of ideas in our sketchbooks. And again thanks for all the positive responses, its way better than we had anticipated!

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    For those having trouble, a general tip I realized recently.

There's no reason to reserve the redraw function, or actually a number of the redrawing abilities, for just an impossible wall of baddies. Since it was made clear that in any sort of redraw situation the discarded cards are going to the bottom of the deck, it sometimes might be nice to send some good gear, like a high level healing potion, down to the bottom of the deck if not needed currently.

11. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Another tip: Be careful with the Lash card. It will hit EVERY card in the top row for 3, even coins/sword/shields/potions, knocking 3 off their current values, and will destroy most special cards instantly!

12. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #132 Mack the Knife, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    i'm wondering if the Victory Screen could display anything more. I mean, it's mostly blank so it makes me feel something else should be there. it shows coins for that victory but it would be nice if it could also show total coins (i know it's listed elsewhere but would be nice if it were here as well). it also lists the special cards you played with but don't know why, i guess just to remind you of which cards you just played with. i really don't know what i'm asking :D but i'm wondering, does anyone else (Tinytouchtables?) think more info should be on the Victory Screen?

13. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I'd love to see an endless mode, where more difficult monsters get shuffled in each time the deck depletes. I'd also like to see a RPG style mode where you start out with all low level equipment cards, but as you earn coins you can upgrade them, along with being able to heal your character or pay gold to "train" your character (to increase max health or weapon damage output). Perhaps this mode could sell "booster" packs which add mostly good cards but add 1-2 "bad" cards to the dungeon deck? Add in a "shop" card where you can only do these things when it turns up?

Just some thoughts. :)

14. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

To add to the innumerable suggestions, I think adding classes could be relatively interesting/easy. To distinguish the classes:

- Different amounts of HP
    - Different ratios of cards; a Wizard might get 8 special slots instead of 5; a Warrior might have a higher ratio of sword/shield, or better quality ones. Thief/Rogue could have more gold and/or higher quality gold.
    - Unique specials per each class. Could take two approaches here. Classes could have preset kits of specials, or you each class could have a couple that get mixed in with some random ones.
    - Hero powers that recharge every few draws. Priest that heals self, a Rogue that can auto-collect all gold currently revealed, etc...

I'm sure you have tons of ideas already though. Loving the game!

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #135 drelbs, Mar 14, 2015
    Same goes with bash - got a really nice potion/etc you don't need right now? Save it for later!

One reason why I don't like that card - usually not helpful.

My favorite use for special cards is to leave them out there to be that last card and discard them if necessary. They can be major boons if they come up at the right time, but often not. My favorite so far is leech: a 5 sword & up to 5 potion combo!

16. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    What do Morph, Fortify and Midas Scarf do??

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have to assume something is a bit funky in the random number generator, as it stands I think having swords and shields almost always coming out in pairs makes the game far too easy.

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #138 Cilo, Mar 14, 2015
    All the tips so far have been great. For those commenting that this game isn't skill based and only luck based, that might be somewhat true for normal mode, however constructed mode is definitely skill based. Try it out if you haven't.

Some of the random ability cards in normal are a waste, or require complex combos that aren't always available (Killing Blow), but once you get a set of your favs together in constructed the synergy between your cards is pretty awesome.

Also I agree with the lackluster victory screen. That and the framerate between the victory book opening, and the curtain dropping between screen transitions are the only complaints I have. Of course I would love to see unlockable avatars, dealer tables/backdrops, alternate dealers, unlockable loot to display in the bar, basically cosmetic rewards that could be implemented without changing the core of the game.

You should try cashing in some of those swords or shields to beef up your high score, it becomes a give and take between survivability and greed which I feel is the intended game design.

Here's a quick vid I made of a winning hand with my rogue deck. It might give you ideas for your own play style.

19. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    So how does steal work in this game even with the bug
    And what exactly does not work through the bug?

I didnt get it a few pages ago

20. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow I was so excited to see Flop Rocket get a five star review I completely missed the equally high rated review for Card Crawl!!

Congrats to the dev's for such high marks!