Universal Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jul 30, 2012.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    One of my new all time favorite iOS games hands down.

I still beg to change the icon to either the red flag hanging on the title screen, or one of the cards. That would be awesome.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Actually I just confirmed that even if the monster is played to shield, while the backpack looks clear, it can never be used again (cards are no longer playable to the pack).

3. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I've got nothing but confidence in whatever genius could make this game. From the Tardi-meets-Trondheim art style to the organic gameplay; the soundtrack.... Just perfect.

I'd like to see an ad hoc P2P co-op. Two warriors lined up horizontally, throwing potions back and forth to one another. Can't attack or take from opposite dungeon side; only support. Weapons / Shields.

Beyond that, a shop card might be nice. Pull three cards to the side, if there's a potion or weapon there, you can spend gold. Mix any unbought/ unusable left back into the deck.

Might save your life!

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think the icon's fine. If you have a problem with it, you pretty much have a problem with the entire game, since you're staring at that very image 50% of the time you play the game. :p It IS a little zoomed out and contains a ton of details though. I'll admit that. I dunno...the flag may work as an icon, but I fear it may also suffer from being a little too big for an icon. I dunno...don't care, tbh. Love the game!

5. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    It is just as great as is hoped. I know I'm in the minority, but I just have a thing about icons. Just wishful thinking...I wish I could be an icon designer full time.

6. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I like it but it keeps crashing... Also, I am terrible at it.

Any tips to help me win? I have had his deck go to one, but I have yet to win.

7. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    It keeps crashing before I get to play either the game or tutorial so unfortunately I can't comment. iPhone 4S ios 7.0.4

8. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm just curious because I see so many TA users still using 4's and 4s...why does one still keep a device that old when it's pretty cheap to upgrade nowadays? Just wondering. Though I do think it's unfortunate that Apple basically kills your old phone for you by making it unusable after a few iOS versions later. I'm sure my 5c won't run so well soon.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm one of a dying breed that don't use a cellphone. I purchased an iPad3 with LTE so the sim cards are the same size. Now I buy a month of data when I need it and that works on my iPhone or iPad since I'm usually in wifi. No need to sign a two year contract or pay $800+ for an off contract device.

I've been using my iPad3 for Card Crawl and I'm playing for so long that my device is getting so hot that I can't keep holding it. It's not the game's fault, I know the iPad3 has a huge problem with overheating which is why it was discontinued so quickly but it's annoying that I can't play this game as much as I want.

I will accept donations of old iOS devices so I can come out of the stone age however ;)

10. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I love this game. Two quick questions for anyone else who has played a lot:

Does anyone have the exact breakdown of the deck? Some cards (mostly monsters) are repeated.

It looks like 2-10 of potions and coins (one of each number??)
    It looks like 2-7 only for swords and shields (one of each again??)
    And monsters go from 2-10, but there are lots of repeats (especially on the high end, it seems)
    Plus 5 ability cards.

Does anyone have the exact deck makeup? And is anyone selling those physical cards someone posted earlier?

Thanks!

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    #91 VeganTnT, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    After watching the Appspy playthrough I was so excited for the game I made a copy with my trusty 6 suited deck of cards.

Potions: 2-10
    Coins: 2-10
    Shields: 2-7
    Swords: 2-7
    Monsters: 2 copies of 2-9 and 3 copies of 10
    Spells : 5 individual cards

Total: 54

EDIT: A physical version may come later from the devs but I can tell you from experience that it's difficult to play in real life since the cards interactions aren't explained. I hope they do produce it though.

12. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Perfect; thanks! I have a six suited deck someplace, but it doesn't have enough duplicates. I'd like to buy a custom deck somewhere designed for the game.

13. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    This is easily my GOTW this week, and Arnold, don't listen to them, I like this game just as it is!
    If you do have ideas for improving it, release them as a sequel.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Don't clear all your beneficial cards from the board too fast. Horde potions or hp type cards. I tend to favor shields over swords and combo those with potions to recover hits, I guess I play defensively. Look for combos rather than just clearing cards individually. Try to strategically think about which card you want to leave on the board for the next card draw.

Love the game by the way, definitely impressed. Hoping to see new avatars soon, I was a little surprised that was not an option.

15. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    #95 Stevencarla, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    ok, so this game should deserve at least 4 stars, but i hope the dev could add more card possibility in future updates, gameplay is pretty easy even with the hard mode, so it would be better to add harder modes into the game , even my gf who doesn't really play games, thinks is pretty easy to win with at least 50 golds above . some people says that luck is important in this game, but since we've played at least 50 games , we both think that luck is just around 20% to make you win or lose, it all depends on calculation and the timing of changing your cards, anyway, keep up the good work!! totally love this game.

P.S and pls make more avatar to choose !!!!

16. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for all your kind words, they make me feel warm and fuzzy from the insides ;).

The crashes on older devices are on our list. We have to see how we can optimize even more.

Also as stated before other Playercards are planned for an content-update.

17. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That's actually good news. I think overall the game is incredible. Really fun and easy to pick up and play. More monster variety and abilities can enhance that even further.

18. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Real fun game. Difficulty seems just about right. Ya win some - ya lose some...

Shame the final animation with the book is so choppy and unsatisfying. Kinda ends the experience on a sour note. It's not hardware either as this is on an iPad Air 2.

A nitpick but it would be nice to see a game this good end with a smooth, high quality animation.

Maybe this is something the Dev could polish? The game does deserve it.

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Unfortunately i have to play in german with no option to change the language. "Hate" is a fast used word, i know, but i really hate this non-option. (In every game, btw)

I was saving for the "Wut" card (card 14, attack twice with the sword).
    Possible to highlight the sword card anyhow after the first use, like blue/red glowing? That little visual effect could help me, not to count on it later in the game, sort of a easier reminder. (You get my point, maybe?)

Same goes for card 6 "Todesstoss". I only can use it on an enemy, after i hurt him (it is so, right?), but sometimes i forget which one it was, specially a few rounds later with more enemies on the table. Highlight the "injured"?
    Maybe this is your intention, well than i have to live with it.

The longer i played yesterday, the more i was thinking of "Poker with Bob". The worst gameplay ever, but definitely the best card dealer ever.

PS: Ahhh, Berliner! Tolle Stadt, tolles Spiel. Your names in the credits implied you to be germans.

20. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    @Qwertz555 no thats very valid feedback! A damage marker would be cool. And yes a Language option could be good too. Also: ja, ich bin aus Berlin, Max aus Düsseldorf ;)