Universal Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jul 30, 2012.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Brainbag, I appreciate what you are saying. After a few games, I am finding it pretty easy to win the game. The challenge and long term interest in the game for me is more about learning how to get a high score. Even now, there are high scores in the leaderboard that are double my high score. I know as I unlock some additional ability cards, my score will go up but even then I think it will take a lot of learning to approach those scores.

2. jkaje

jkaje Member

Feb 19, 2015
    This is definitely a very fun and polished game. I do agree with several others that there's a lack of depth in some areas and a little more luck involved than I generally prefer but the production value, high score chasing, and overall vibe of this game is great. I would love to see some kind of level system or rpg elements thrown into this in the future along with some new skill cards but for 1.99 this game is a no brainer. Even if the charm wears off sooner than later, I'm happy to support a dev that puts this much polish into a game and most of all makes it premium.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #63 Qwertz555, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    ^^^ yep, i can see both "truths"

For me, it has the exact amount of depth and complexity i'm willing/able to invest in and enjoy. And i'm clearly going for what slewis said - the highscore. Unfortunately a genre where my chase is going into the top 50%, only.

Since i won't keep any coins after dying, my wish for new card decks is going to christmas 2017. Maybe one or two more card dealers (with some ugly voices), if only for the presentation. The only disappointment is an absolute nit picking one. The icon is simply bad chosen (iphone). It's not appealing at all. You had so much better choises from your deck. Seeing it on my TA's starter site "new games and drops", i never would have looked at it, specially with the word Card in it.

Edit: my 5 star review in my little swiss app store should catapult you right behind CoC ;)

4. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    sorry but is that a bug after using steal?? as i used the steal card ,it gave me a spider then i drag the spuder to hurt my role, i cant put other cards back to my backpack. pls help!!!!!!

5. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    @Tinytouchtales or anyone,

i know it's not on the list of devices but anyone playing this on an ipad2? and, how does it look? thanks...

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Game Impressions

Had quite a bit of fun Card Crawl this this morning.

Overall the game is charming. Somehow I sailed right through my first game, but then have been totally stomped, only winning one additional game since. Maybe I'm being to greedy/ambitious...

Seems the game is largely dependent on the order on which you are dealt cards - I'm hoping that unlocking additional cards will help mitigate this a bit.

I do like that you have to pay careful attention to the order on how you take your turn - often the order of which you play things can make a huge difference. The choices of what to discard, etc. work well too.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I've had issues with it being really slow and unresponsive on my iPhone4. The devs mentioned they had memory issues with the iPhone4 and iPad2 which isn't a surprise since those devices are trying to run a game built in unity with only 512mb of RAM.

It's still fairly playable on my iPhone and since the iPad2 has a quad core gpu you should fair better but that low amount of system ram is still an issue.

8. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Enjoying this a lot on my iPad, but if love it even more on my phone. Plans for an android release? I'd love a quick game to play while taking walks and I'd gladly buy it again. I'm hoping it's easy since it's built on Unity!

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Love this game. Any plans for cosmetic changes/characters for your knight?

10. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    @Mack the Knife iPad 2 is kinda hard to say. I tested it, but i would not recommend it, since the framerate is pretty low.

@Stevencarla Yes sorry, steal is bugged right now. We submitted an fix already.

@BazookaTime Yes unlockable characters would be on our list for the first content update.

And to the other who complain about replay value: you should unlock a few more of the later cars and you will see that there are quite some hidden strategies and ability-card combos that will make your highscore hunt way more interesting.

11. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    #71 blue rocket, Mar 12, 2015
    Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Same issue here -- ignore me, looks like the dev already submitted a fix -- thanks! I won the match that happened and got an achievement for having a monster in my bag! Nice! Lol

Would love a new app icon though... Maybe just make it a cool looking card? The avatar maybe?

12. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I think the icon looks perfect!

13. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I like the icon too, that troll friend.

I wish too for more decks and characters and I will be happy to pay for it the price the dev thinks is fair. I enjoy the game that much that I don't want to unlock new cards yet, because I don't want the game to end and I like knowing there is still cards I don't have.

14. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    #74 Fieryseraph, Mar 12, 2015
    This game is a blast so far. There is strategy enough for me! Also I like the icon just fine.

I hope this game does well! Any expansions would be an instant purchase from me. I can already imagine what might come (monsters that do bad things if you leave them in the top row, etc.)

15. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Amazing, Card Crawl is #3 Best new Games iPhone US! Weeeee!

16. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Wow, congratulations from the neighborhood (F´hain)

17. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    You are scratching an itch that has had no salvaton since dungeon solitair dissapearee. Please keep going, add some more depth, and whatever else you guys think increases the fun factor. Your judgement has been phenomenal so far, so good luck to you guys!

18. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Yes please if the game continue selling well consider future DLC.

And congratulations for the AppStore ranking and for the 5 stars in Pockettactics too

19. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    first, i think i have at least 3 games written in Unity that run fine on my iPad2 and despite the warnings (above) for 2 bucks i figured i might as well try this. at least in the tutorial so far, it looks just fine and runs just fine. i know nothing of Unity or framerates but in my mind, some ugly Norseman throwing three cards at me doesn't translate to a resource hog. of course, i don't have 65 apps running in the background either. so for those of you po'folk that still have an antiquated iPad2, the game runs fine. :eek:

20. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    after playing quite a bit, and winning quite a bit, I think there needs to be an aspect of poison included in the game. Sometimes depending on how the hands are dealt the game can be almost too easy. Maybe more character types and different abilities, status effects? Just throwing out some ideas, the game is great, but with a few updates could be the absolute sh*t!

With all that being said, I still can't stop playing, was playing the half the day at work! :D