Universal Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jul 30, 2012.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    amazed I missed this game. One of my new favourites.

2. tarheel

tarheel New Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Undead

How in the world do you complete the quest to "collect 25 gold with one bounty?" I have completed all other quests except this one, and I just can't wrap my head around it...I assume you would have to fortify your bounty, and use faith and mirror to create as many 10 monsters as possible.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same here. Just got it on its christmas price drop, and now it's one of my most played games on the iphone and i want to punch myself for not getting it earlier.

4. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks everyone for buying the game!

@hydra9 correct: Heart - decks with most likes, Mug - games with most plays

@tarheel there are as always multiple solutions one goes like this: you use Swap/Equalize to make a 10 Fortify, then you use Mirror to create a second 10-Fortify. Then you use both 10-Fortifies on Bounty so you have a 23-Bounty. Then you just have to remove two 10-Monsters and can collect 2*23 Bounty Gold. So cards are Bounty, Swap, Mirror, Fortify + one of your choice, preferably Equalize to maximize your chances of creating the combo.

@zen_mode in the trophy screen you can see the cards used by other players. If you look at the top scores you see which cards are the ones you want for better scores.

5. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Hey guys, can someone please explain how the game actually works? I mean is it like a single player campaign with pre set levels (I mean same opponents, same rewards in each place) or is it randomly generated?

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It's best described as a clever solitaire variant (it actually does use a stock deck of 60 cards or so). The base game is all about properly managing your various helper cards (abilities, swords, shields, and healing potions) so you can survive all of the monster attacks. The real challenge of the game, once you have the basic mechanics down, is to not simply survive the game to the end, but get the highest score (earned gold) by doing stuff like selling off many of your vital tools instead of using them and or combining abilities in clever ways to make tons of extra cash.

The game's biggest draw, in my humble opinion, is the wide range of abilities your character can utilize in the game to creatively break the core game's basic rules. The game has 2 modes of play. In "Normal" mode the 5 abilities you'll have in the game are chosen randomly from all that you have unlocked so far but in "Constructed" mode you can pick the 5 abilities (often the game within the game here is trying to figure out which powers you can cleverly combine in a game to maximize your highscore). At this point in the game's development you'll start off with a small handful of abilities to work from and can slowly unlock the game's entire set of 40 via the saved gold from your won games (each new ability in the list of abilities gets successively more expensive but, if the whim hits you, you are free to unlock them in any order you want).

If you're feeling cocky, there's even more than abilities to unlock, like different player and dealer skins by pulling off some tricky skillful achievements or trying to get the highest combined streak score (although it first requires you to unlock all 40 abilities to even participate) in successively won Normal games.

7. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Thanks for the answer , I actually already got it. It was 0.99 so I figured out I'll just get it since every review was positive. I have to say, the rules and how you play this game are awesome, but it doesn't seem so complicated. After losing about 10 times I thought about it and I started sacrificing health to keep my shields and swords, and now I win about 80% of the games. Will it be way harder to get more gold? Because right now it's pretty easy and I would like it to be harder. And also, I'm not sure how the store works (while you play). Sometimes it seems to give me gold when I sell my items and sometimes it doesn't. Why is that?

8. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Gotta agree, I'm a bit sad I bought it at only a dollar because it's worth full price. It's such a weird game (a dungeon crawler as a solitaire game basically? The hell?) but it's just super simple yet awesome in how you manage your items, enemies, etc... Though idk what the uh 'shop' in game is for

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Selling certain item cards will net you gold. You will also sometimes find yourself in a position where you can't clear the current round without selling a card.

It's also an interesting mechanic because when selling voluntarily, you need to balance your desire for gold and the increased chance of failure from removing an item.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It deeked me for a while as well but you can't "sell" a bag of coins, if you play it to the shop it is considered a donation. You also can't sell ability cards.

11. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I figured that out after playing a few games (I'm stupid) and after doing so it got... Harder because I want all dat sweet sweet gold but I hate sacrificing anything. I really like the uh rabbit card (sacrifice?) it's amazing for the 9 and 10 (troll and uh something ghost hag) cards since I like to have my health low so healing potions do the absolute most

12. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Bug in normal mode.

Attached Files:

13. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    #473 Gluskap, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Happy New Year!

Attached Files:

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Dig the game mechanics, but wondering if any of the monster cards ever change? If you unlock a new opponent do the monsters they deal have new artwork or anything? Also getting tired of the paladin, but it certainly seems unlocking the other characters is challenging from a quest perspective. Any one easier to unlock than the others?

15. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Can anyone recommend a standard deck of playing cards with artwork similar to Card Crawl?

16. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Not card crawl but Artofplay.com has tons of great ones.

17. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks, I have been browsing their site all morning. I am looking for a good deck to go along with my newfound interest in playing card solitaire RPGs instigated by Tinytouchtales blog post about the inspirations of Card Crawl.

18. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Actually I have been meaning to try something similar to that, maybe mixed with a little Donsol or something...

19. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Of course Card Crawl is the best of its genre #, but Donsol is likewise a fantastic game which is also fully playable with only a deck of cards. Incidentally it is virtually identical to Zach Gage's Scoundrel which is currently only accessible as a rule set. Matthew Lowe's Dungeon Solitaire: Tomb of Four Kings and Mark R. Brown's Royal Assassin Solitaire also seem excellent.

So far I have found two decks, Joker and the Thief and Arcana Tarot appealing for this purpose.

20. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Damn today's daily was a real nail biter. Took a few chances that paid off nicely. Escaped the dungeon with only 1 hit point left. Currently at rank 13 with 86 gold.

Best part is it shut my gf up, who was bragging about me not being able to beat her 74 at lowly rank of 59.