Universal Card Crawl (by Arnold Rauers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
  2. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow sounds great! It's a special game...can't wait! Thanks for not getting fat and lazy lol...

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  4. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Hadn't played as much since I "beat" it (unlocking all the cards) but really looking forward to the first content update. Sounds amazing!

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #285 vectorarchitekt, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Yes! More!

6. Exile

Exile Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    student
    usa
    Sweet! Can't wait for the new ability cards.

7. shlpd

shlpd New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    This game is quite fun, although it does become somewhat mechanical after the nth play through. More cards with different abilities would be very refreshing. I've never gone above 89 plus a bonus of 73, which is not a bad score, although I don't understand exactly how the bonus is calculated.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #288 LordGek, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    UPDATE: I'm now thinking my following theory is full of bunk.

I think I get it. The bonus is that part of your end score made by selling inventory to the shop. The base score is ONLY based on played coin cards. The bonus amount is already figured into the bigger number at the end, so when you see 89 with the bonus of 73 it simply means you scored 16 points from coins and an additional 73 via selling inventory back to the store.

@TinyTouchtales
    I assume there is a memory leak as the game seems to crash after playing 2-3x in a row in a single session (iPad Air iOS 8.3).

9. 00Spitfire

00Spitfire New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Special Cards SPOILERS

My favorite cards to use are
    Revive
    Fortify
    Midas Scarf
    Leach
    Sacrifice

How I use these cards to stay alive generally is as follows

Revive play this card on your Avatar as soon as you get it. I wait until an emergency or I have a 10 monster card up top I need to get rid of.

Save your Midas Scarf either in your backpack or leave it as the last card up top where the cards are dealt. Use as soon as you get a Soulsearcher monster card. Drag it up onto the monster card that is a 10, unless you're in a jam and loosing too much life. Anyway after you play that on the monster 10 or 9 whatever, play out the rest but try to go ahead and play the the monster card which is now a coin card.

Fortify I like to use this on a lower potion card ideally the 8 but doesn't matter too much. I like to keep my highest potion card as the card up top where the cards are dealt in case of emergency. Or alternatively in the backpack. Really I like to have a potion on top and in the backpack. The highest ones I have.

If I'm trying to get the 100 gold achievement I like to use

Trade - play on low shield

Midas Scarf - play on 10 monster

Revive - play on Avitar immediately wait for 10 monster

Sacrifice - play on high monster when low health

Fortify - play on any coin card

As for these cards:

Reflect, Betrayal, Frenzy, Swap, Morph

I don't like using them. There are still some achievements I need to do but haven't figured out how yet. Perhaps they are useful for those. I just don't know yet.

I did figure out

Strange Theft achievement

Sap -

Steal -
    Save Sap and Steal to the end
    Play till you have one monster card left drawn in top
    Discard all other cards in top
    Put sap and steal by avatar
    Sap the remaining monster card
    Play steal on avatar

10. 00Spitfire

00Spitfire New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexSem View Post
    Can someone please make a more clear overview of what all the special cards do? It is too time consuming to unlock them all.Currently I know nothing about the following:
    Reflect, Betrayal, Revive, Frenzy, Lucky Shot, Trade, Swap, Morph, Fortify, Midas Scarf
    My favorite cards to use are
    Revive
    Fortify
    Midas Scarf
    Leach
    Sacrifice

How I use these cards to stay alive generally is as follows

Revive play this card on your Avatar as soon as you get it. I wait until an emergency or I have a 10 monster card up top I need to get rid of.

Save your Midas Scarf either in your backpack or leave it as the last card up top where the cards are dealt. Use as soon as you get a Soulsearcher monster card. Drag it up onto the monster card that is a 10, unless you're in a jam and loosing too much life. Anyway after you play that on the monster 10 or 9 whatever, play out the rest but try to go ahead and play the the monster card which is now a coin card.

Fortify I like to use this on a lower potion card ideally the 8 but doesn't matter too much. I like to keep my highest potion card as the card up top where the cards are dealt in case of emergency. Or alternatively in the backpack. Really I like to have a potion on top and in the backpack. The highest ones I have.

If I'm trying to get the 100 gold achievement I like to use

Trade - play on low shield

Midas Scarf - play on 10 monster

Revive - play on Avitar immediately wait for 10 monster

Sacrifice - play on high monster when low health

Fortify - play on any coin card

As for these cards:

Reflect, Betrayal, Frenzy, Swap, Morph

I don't like using them. There are still some achievements I need to do but haven't figured out how yet. Perhaps they are useful for those. I just don't know yet.

I did figure out

Strange Theft achievement

Sap -

Steal -
    Save Sap and Steal to the end
    Play till you have one monster card left drawn in top
    Discard all other cards in top
    Put sap and steal by avatar
    Sap the remaining monster card
    Play steal on avatar

11. 00Spitfire

00Spitfire New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    #291 00Spitfire, Apr 13, 2015
    Ok I'm having the same problem. On the 24 damage achievement I think you need to apply Fortify to Lash then try to get a bunch of dungeon cards up too then play the Lash card which is now 8 instead of 3. Then hope for the best on the randomness of playing this card which theoretically in my opinion should or could do damage to UP TO three random dungeon cards 8 x 3 =24. However I haven't been able to get this to work, I think because it is so random. I do have hope though.

I used
    Fortify
    Lash
    Sap
    Vanish
    Exchange

Update Edit:

Ok I did finally survive a game using this method. I fortified lash, at the end of the game I had three monster cards with values greater than 8, I played the lash card which took 8 damage off those last three monster cards leaving me with 3 monsters with values 1,2,2. Luckily I had enough health to take that damage. This allowed me to get the 24 achievement.

12. Grail

Grail Member

Apr 13, 2015
    #292 Grail, Apr 13, 2015
    Warning! This post is super long and likely very boring.

Hello everyone! I've been a fan of Card Crawl since it came out and recently started highscore chasing (current high score is 130).
    http://imgur.com/uWCCwUk
    As i've seen a couple of people chasing after 100 and higher scores I thought I would post my ideas and theory thus far. For anyone just looking for constructed deck suggestions just head to the bottom.

The Long Bit:

So a full breakdown of the deck looks like this.

Monster: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10 (total = 118)
    Coin: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (total =54)
    Sword: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (total =27)
    Shield: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (total =27)
    Potion: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (total =54)

If we match all monsters with all shields, potions and swords that leaves us at -10 total. Taking starting health into consideration that brings us at a clear game with 3 health remaining leaving 2 coins worth to sell still.
    Taking coins into consideration that then means that with the 54 coins and 2 spare the maximum score minus magic cards is 56.

Now to break down the magic cards to select your five. Personal I purely focus on their value in terms of ability to harm monsters or generate coin value. Here is a list of that value taking the deck unmodified to work out normal maximums.

1. Sap: 0
    2. Vanish: 0
    3. Leech: 10 (20 with Fortify)
    4. Sacrifice: 10
    5. Potionize: 0
    6. Killing Blow: 8
    7. Exchange: 0
    8. Steal: 0
    9. Lash: 9 (24 with Fortify)
    10. Bash: 0
    11. Reflect: 10
    12. Betrayal: 20
    13. Revive: 10
    14. Fenzy: 7 (12 with Fortify)
    15. Lucky Shot: 10
    16. Trade: 9
    17. Swap: 16
    18. Morph: 23 (highest morph card value I have seen is 13)
    19. Fortify: 5 (more if combined)
    20. Midas Scarf: 20

So taking these into consideration I worked out two seperate construction decks. First is the maximum game score deck:

Midas Scarf, Swap, Betrayal, Leech, Morph.

To get the most out of this deck due to limited number of 10 value monsters you would need to use the cards as following:

Midas Scarf: Monster value 10
    Leech: Monster value 5 to 8 with 5 health loss
    Swap: Monster value 10 next to item value 2
    Betrayal: Monster value 10 with monsters value 9 both sides
    Morph: Monster value 10, morph item value 13

Score: 56+20+10+16+18+23= 143
    This would require you to sell items of total value 66 during the game + the 13 value morph item.

The game however that this would require is insanely unlikely of course. As such here is my current deck that I use that has a lower potential score but is far more likely to work:

Midas Scarf, Morph, Swap, Leech, Revive.
    This one has a maximum potential score of 137.
    The pattern for this would be:

Midas Scarf: use on monster value 10
    Morph: use on monster value 9, morph item value 13
    Swap: use on monster value 10 next to item value 2
    Leech: use on monster value 5-8 with 5 health loss
    Revive: attack hero with monster value 10 while on 1 health

This deck requires you to sell items of total value 57 as well as the 13 value morph item.

For anyone uncomfortable using morph because of its random element I suggest swapping it for betrayal in the second deck. The likely score will go down a lot but played right it should garantee a 100+ score more reliably.

So there you go! For anyone who read all of that, my condolences. I hope it helps people and good luck to the fellow score-chasers :)

13. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
  14. jinchoung

jinchoung Member

Nov 29, 2010
    how about the "hit twice" achievement? have you been able to get that?

15. jinchoung

jinchoung Member

Nov 29, 2010
    hey,

great game.

one quibble about the 24 hit achievement as well as the hit twice -

it's cool to have the wording be vague but it's bad when MULTIPLE CONDITIONS satisfy the wording of the card but only one of those conditions actually activates the award... makes it really frustrating to figure out what's going on:

- hit twice - that's the definition of 'frenzy'... but using it and hitting the same monster twice does not trigger the achievement.
    - 24 damage - you can fortify the lash and then use it one 3 monsters = 24 damage... but you know what is also 24 damage? fortify a 7 sword to 12 and then frenzy.

so if you're going to make mystery objectives, please word them precisely so that it's possible for people to figure out what to do.

thanks.

p.s. if you can just tell me how to get the hit twice achievement, that would be fantastic.

16. Grail

Grail Member

Apr 13, 2015
    #296 Grail, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    Spoiler warning: if you want to work out the hit twice achievement yourself dont read :)

For anyone else:
    Get a shield --> apply shield bash --> apply frenzy.

Your welcome.

17. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I was going to tell you your spoiler alert was too good... The black simply won't tap away. However as I reply to you I can see the answer... So yeah, thanks. #

18. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    The Community-Card voting is online!
    Thanks for all your great card ideas, the best 7 are up for voting until the 2nd of May: http://cardcrawl.com/vote/

19. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi,

short update:
    We are still in the heat of the content update. The 10 new ability cards are done. We
    are now working on the additional Avatars and a new Dealer. The Community-Card was also
    decided and it will be Blood Pact:

[​IMG]

20. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    if I delete the game will I lose my save data? I feel like the game has taken hostage of my storage. ;-)

I love the game, it's in my top 5 iOS games ever, have gotten every card and want to come back and play but it would be nice if I could remove it for a little while.