Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I cannot get enough of this game. Definitely my best purchase in the App Store.

If you have never played Carcassonne before, it's easy to learn. I am completely satisfied with my purchase :)

Everyone who has the slightest interest in the game should go pick it up now!

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i never thought of that. thats a great point.

3. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    favorite game EVER!?! then im quite honored to have recommended it to you ;)

(and it's my favorite game too)

4. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    You should be :p Thanks again for recommending it, how about a rematch?

5. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    OK so I finally caved in and bought it. Cannot win a game though!

6. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Best boardgame to iPhone port EVER.

Pass-n-play = yes
    AI players = yes
    Solitaire play = yes (new Carc variant where others can try to beat your score with the same tile set)
    Internet play = yes
    Local Net Play = yes

This is one of those gems that ships with all the right features. Of course, you know what they say... if you're not a little ashamed of what you shipped, you shipped to late. I think this shipped to late because it has everything I would have wanted in a Carc port.

Very impressive!

7. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    #167 bluewomble88, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Loving it so far but I have a question...... I noticed that sometimes I cannot lay a meeple down in a field despite there being no reason why I can't. No other meeple occupies the field and I am laying a legitimate tile. Any ideas?
    Also, I was playing online against someone in a quick match and towards the end he let the timer run to zero - nothing happened. After another minute he finally took his turn despite no apparent penalty. Why?

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    There must be another meeple in the field which you overlooked. Fields are tricky and it's often easy to overlook connected sections.

9. cthibault

cthibault Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Professional Magician
    MA, USA
    Loving this game! It works and looks great on the iPad too!

10. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    Anyone have any idea why this would be?

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's possible that the move was made within the time limit but server was slow to send you the information.

I'm sure with all the people and games being played (not to mention push notifications and chat) their servers are taking a beating

12. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Either network lag, or (I think this is true...haven't tested it yet) if you already set the tile down, and just haven't placed your meeple yet (because you're thinking or whatever) then it doesn't kick you out. The timer is to catch people who aren't taking their turn.

13. heathenpoet

heathenpoet Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Yeah, I've had a couple of games that seemed to just stop at the end of the opponent's time due to lag, then finally pressed 'Pause Game' only to be told I've lost because *I* ran out of time. I'm confused about the pause game/push notification thing, and where that comes into play..!

14. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #174 Windburn, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers are tricky little things.

Sometimes fields can be so interconnected, that you could have one meeple in a field on one corner of the map affective fields created on the opposite corner!

Basically, a road or a building has to intersect a field for it to be 'cut off'.
    If a road doesn't butt hard-up against a structure (ie. right through it), or a road doesn't join with a cross-road to completely cut off a field, that small space of green is still considered a continuing field.

The computer is pretty smart about it, I haven't noticed even one stuff up yet in this regard.

15. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    does anyone know how to contact these devs?

16. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Try the email on their website. You could also try their twitter.

17. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #177 starmonkey101, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    thank you. where is the email on the website? and yea, i followed them on twitter, but im so technologically challenged when i comes to twitter. so idk how to message them. :eek:

nevermind got it.

18. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I have never play real board game, but i did heard of, it's No1 at almost any board gaming site...
    Anyhow, i'm playing it 2-3 days now on, and it is really great.

But must say, i have to find out for myself some basic GUI features like how to zoom in/out (one tap, but with 2 fingers for OUT, double tap with one for IN) are easier that pinching, how to rotate piece (single tap on it), and that is much easier to use simple touch (just tap where you want piece or follower) instead of drag&drop, on small iPhone screen etc...those things are simply not part of tutorial :rolleyes:

About rules and strategy; its nice, lovely, not complicated but deep, very very addictive, and i understand it much more via playing it, instead of reading manual at first. Manual is simply too big to understand and memorize at first without minimal pre knowledge and playing experience.

Only one thing which at the moment i do not completely understand is the Fields. Any tips appreciated :eek:
    I simply cannot see that deep and wide to prepare strategy for scoring points at the end of the game. Do not understand how to find fields ends and borders.

It would be lovely if CPU in updated versions starts to colorize any occupied fields with players colors :D

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fields are closed off by roads/cities. So all of the area not completely cut off by a city wall or a road is a single field and you'll be awarded 3 points per complete city that lays inside that area. Did you look at the examples of this aspect in Help?

20. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    How do you play a push game? Is it with friends only (rather than with randoms).

think the devs should make an option in the online to explicitly say whether you want to start a game and play to a finish, or start a asynchronous game where you can get your turns by Push?