Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    has anyone noticed:

when i play against two "friends" in two different games, there is a pop up that notifies me when it is my turn in the other game. however, i really hate this cuz when im in the middle of my turn in let's say game 'A' it notifies me that my opponent in game 'B' has taken their turn and it is my turn. the game gets really laggy and even freezes (where cant do anything) for up to 20 secs so that the pop up can appear. kind of annoying. so i realized that it is hard to play 2 different "friends" games at the same time.

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you to everyone that answered :)

Actually, I played both tutorials and I didn't catch either of those answers :\

--

So I think I'm finally getting used to the game. Solitaire is so much fun. It's like a little puzzle game, and I managed to finally finish with more than a negative number of points left :p

The normal game I'm starting to enjoy more. I think I'm starting to find some strategy. Still not 100% sure, though.

Already feel like the $5 was put to great use. So that's great :cool:

More variations and custom rules would be nice, though. That's always nice to have :)

3. missalexis

missalexis Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Badges & iPad

I just started playing an internet game, and notice that badges aren't being displayed (though sounds and alerts are shown). The option is enabled in notification settings. Has anyone else noticed this?

4. This game is awesome, just played a full game online. I won with 105 points :p

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Anyone wants to play? Just pm your e-mail oder ask for mine. :)

6. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    I never played this game before but it is great! I can recommend it easily to everyone and rule are pretty straight forward.

So buy it before the price increase!

7. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm quite interested in this game but the gameplay videos leave me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I can't really see anything worth getting excited over..... why should I get this? It's no good saying things like "it's so good, you won't regret it, I can't recommend it enough" etc etc, that tells me nothing. WHY is it so highly rated?

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Because it's a very fun board game which has been a favorite among board game enthusiasts for nearly a decade. On top of this, it has some very polished UI design, a fantastic tutorial, and a fairly robust multiplayer system, including both anonymous quickplay and asyncronous games with friends.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game itself is amazing. It's still one of the highest rated board games even though it was released in 2000. Every year since it has got a new expansion.

The main draw of the game is that it's so simple to understand. If I have a friend that has never played a Strategy board game I make sure Carcassonne is their first. Even though it's easy to start playing there is a ton of strategy involved. Find another expert player and it turns into a chess match.

As for the app, it has the original board game (expansions are coming later) a new solitaire mode, local and internet multiplayer with up to 4 additional players, push notifications and ingame chat, and all of it is wrapped up in this beautiful UI from top to bottom.

10. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    Does this have the spit and polish of the Xbox version, i.e. 3D graphics etc?

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What they said but if arty/clever European boardgames leave you cold, than this may not do anything for you. I really loved the game and therefore love this very well done iPhone app port but, say, this were the greatest port in the world of Trivial Pursuit, a boardgame I can't stand, all the glowing reviews in the world wouldn't sway me either. ;)

12. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    No 3D graphics. It's more about clean design and simplicity in this version. I think it works incredibly well on the iPhone's small screen; it's easy to make the screen feel cluttered, but this doesn't.

13. bdshort

bdshort Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I had heard of this game but didn't know what it was about other than it was another Euro style board game. I'm very glad I gave this a try though, as it's excellent. I wish the Catan app had this much polish and the same clean look! (Hear me, Catan devs??)

14. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    OK so if I take the plunge, anyone out there willing to add me and play a few games as I learn the ropes?

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Sure, no problem :)

16. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    This is a great game! Picked it up having seen the thread here and the initial glowing comments. Played a few games of solitaire (I didn't realise that the normal game had AI opponents to start with :rolleyes:) And at first really didn't get it, but after watching the tutorials, and reading the manual, then playing some more, really got into it! Have already gifted this app around to my girlfriend. I'm sure I'll be sending it to more friends down the line if they don't pick it up themselves.

Everything is really nicely done. I especially like the Push notification sound. "Its your turn now!" Never fails to scare the bejesus out of me. :D

For anyone wondering it runs perfectly on a 1st gen iPod touch, and on a 3G iPhone. although it does seem to be a huge battery hog. Hopefully it will be optimised in the future to run a little less hot.

17. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    What do you get when you win a game against someone? Do you collect points only, can they be used?
    I'm still looking a reason to get this....

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    You get the satisfaction of playing a great game and winning! Sometimes the reason is in the playing and the self satisfaction not in the achievements and tangible items. It is a well polished, terrifically done game that I can now play without begging friends and family members to play with me, or keep track of all the pieces, and to have a computer total up my points for me, and, etc.

If the thrill is not in the play for you then maybe this isn't, quite sadly, the game for you.

19. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ive finished 4 games with friends. and i have a perfect winning record! :D but who's counting :p

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The game does use a cool Chess ranking like system (you start off rated as 1200 and lose a few ranking points with each loss as well as gain a few with each win). How many of the points you win or lose seems in large part due to the other players' ranking (beating a much higher ranked guy than yourself would be a huge gain and by that same toke, losing to some much lower ranked player than yourself would cause a huge dip). Even cooler is that the game tracks this independently in 3 different categories (local games against AI or family members, arranged games over the Internet with friends, quickmatch games over the Internet with strangers). I think this is cool since it means some guy who may just sit at home beating up on the AI (or cheesier yet, against himself intentionally throwing the games) can't then come online with some huge unjustifiable ranking.