Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This looks good, but not as good as the XBLA version. I love the 3d effect of the graphics on the XBLA version to help distinguish what is finished versus unfinished. More importantly though, I really value the ability to move the piece around the board and have it rotate to show you what placing it there will look like prior to making your choice.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You get to see it in place and rotate, even pull it back up to place somewhere else before you commit in this one as well.

3. heathenpoet

heathenpoet Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    This has been my most-anticipated release in ages, and I think it's brilliant! It just does what it's supposed to, and the app design complements beautifully the original tileset. No pointless 3D or alternate tilesets (I'm looking at you, Hive), no over-the-top animation (Monopoly, Game of Life - unbearable), or unnecessary storyline and character dialogue (Catan - don't think I didn't notice).

The interface is slick and works well and intuitively (to someone who knows the game, at any rate). A simple tap to place and rotate your tile, and another tap to place a meeple. No arguments about scoring. No failing to notice someone's already staked a claim over that farm. And being able to see what's left in the bag so easily makes things a bit more strategic than real life (well, I've never played with anyone serious enough to track what's left, anyway...!)

The most impressive thing about this app IMO is that they've made the effort for a very slick online multiplayer in the first release. Brilliant. I signed up in seconds and was instantly playing a game with a stranger, no lag, no problem, and even the nice addition of being able to chat. Also the concept of sharing your solitaire games is nice, though I don't imagine it's something I'll bother with (I'm yet to have formed an opinion on the solitaire game, as it's new to me!)

And £2.99 is a bargain, considering the price of the table-top versions.

So yes, five stars from me. Now please don't keep us waiting for the expansion packs...!

4. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    PS. I'm my username's heathenpoet on there too if anyone wants a game!

5. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    Shhh, don't give away the city-stealing strategies ;) people need to learn!!

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Does this version have any special options you can fool around with at the beginning of the game, like length of game, how many rounds, or any stuff like that?

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There might be something with time allotted for turns and number of players, but other than that it will always be the same base 70 tile deck.

I think the real rule customization will kick in once the expansions hit the scene and the player will be free to pick and choose which of the expansions you include in your game.

8. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    What kind of stuff do the expansions add? Or is that a lost cause of a question that I just need to look up for myself? :p

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I'm not huge Carcassonne player as I'm just starting to play now but I checked out the Carcassonne Wiki article and there seem to be lots of expansions. It seems that add new gameplay elements and new tiles. Either way I think it would be nice to see additional content coming out for this version to keep people playing. :D

10. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    How's the learning curve for someone who has never played Carcassonne before? Also, is there a long, in-depth tutorial?

11. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    I haven't played the iPhone game yet, I'll do that later today on my iPad. However, the basic game of Carcassonne itself is not very complex. It will take you maybe 10 minutes to grasp all of the rules and then there are some pretty simple strategies that you will learn very quickly. The more advanced strategies mostly come in as you learn what tiles are available and can start playing moves to block other players based on what is still available in a game. Some people never get to the point of learning the count of various tiles and yet still have a great time with the board game. Part of the beauty of Carcassonne is that it is a simple game.

12. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Multiplayer Question

Can you combine local network play (bluetooth) with pass-and-play? So, for example, could four people play the game on two iDevices, with two people on each device? I've been waiting for really good multiplayer in a board game app...

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    ok ok i'm convinced :)

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Being a sick monkey I love how the game isn't just tracking your Chess Ranking and stats but also the current rankings and stats of all 8 computer players as well. Each with their own unique playing styles and strategies. It makes them feel more like fellow players than most games' "Easy/Medium/Hard AI" choices. :D

15. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    so does anyone want to share emails?

16. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    It's not a difficult game to get the hang of... it's one of those deceptively-simple-but-soon-gets-strategic-once-you-understand-the-basics games.

17. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    They mainly add new tiles, new figures, and altered gameplay. So in Traders & Builders, if you put your builder in a city you're working on then you get to take a second tile when you add to the city (if I remember rightly). And by completing a city (even if you don't own it) you win whatever produce it contains, represented by little symbols on the expansion's tiles. Then the player with the most produce at the end gets extra points?

Well, it's all that kinda stuff...

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Here is a good link with details on all of the now dozen or so expansions (I'm not sure if some of these are being counted twice as re-releases):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Carcassonne_series

Like one, King and Scout, simply introduces a new little rule almost akin to something out of Settlers of Catan with a King (awarded to whomever has the most completed cities at the moment) and the Robber Baron (awarded to whomever has completed the most roads) with the advantage being that said player gets an extra point for each completed city or completed road in the game respectively.

While most contain some clever twists, I have to say I'm not a fan of the few that get overly gimmicky with the player actually expected to toss things into the playfield (like the Catapult Expansion).

19. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    my curiosity has peaked with this game. I've never played it and I see lots of people enjoying it and lots of features. Plus doesnt contain small pieces or leave a mess on the kitchen table sold

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What? And not simply accept that the Green player will have one less follower than the other players? :rolleyes: