Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Damn, the game only crashes after the update.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've never tried that!

Now I'm going to have to - but it seems I play a lot more iOS Carc than the physical game (even FtF! My wife an I often play a quick game on our iPhones over Wifi...)

3. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I was thinking of the cloister! :) I'm guessing cloisters are part of the expansion since they are in the rules. I do remember the cathedral rules now; I haven't played the board game in a long time.

I've only used Rivers I as it was included with the base game. Actually, I'm not sure which Rivers was included as it just says "Includes Free River Expansion".

Thanks for the clarifications and answers!

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    For all people who were playing with me. I have removed since I bought the cathedral pack the game crashes all the time no matter how many times I delete and installe, reboot, etc.

I am running on ipad2 latest os, I hope nobody else here has this issue. But you a warned.

I contacted the devs and hopefully a fix comes fast (or of it is my device I ask for a refund of the expansion packs)

5. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Cloisters are in the base game :)

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Update, the issue exists only on my ipad2 wifi 16gb. My iPad 1 works fine.
    I warn anybody with such device ... It might crash on you if you buy the expansions.

7. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Instant buy for both expansions. Great job guys!

8. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    #848 AlteaineDranix, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    I'm running iOS 4.3.3 on a jailbroken iPad 2 and the game crashed on me upon launch. Reinstalling fixed it and it works fine now even after I bought the expansions. My scores for everything were reset, however.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am not having any problems at all on my iPad 2. It's working great.

And this game is *so* much better with the expansions. Of course now I can't wait for more. :) Especially Traders & Builders.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is your device loaded to the brim with games? I know from personal experience my iPod Touch 4G, when it had some 1,000 game loaded on it (even though I still had over 20 gigs free for more), started getting crashy. As if just maintaining little icons ofr all of the games took a big chunk out of RAM from the get go. But as you are talking about an iPad 2 with buckets more RAM, I doubt this would apply to you.

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Considering the overall popularity of the physical expansions, I certainly foresee T&B coming up next; the River expansion also happens to include tiles that support T&B as well as The Princess & the Dragon, which is nice.

T&B shouldn't take too long if it is next in line, given that the rules don't call for a huge AI shakeup in the way the game is played. AI for P&D, on the other hand (on the rather large assumption that it follows), would probably set the developers back a bit longer.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Traders & Builders seems to me does involve some significant AI changes. There's a whole new way to get points. Indeed pretty much all of the expansions would involve some significant AI changes. I suspect it's going to be a while whatever the next expansion is, though probably not quite as long as this one took because now they at least have the framework in place for expansions.

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'm wondering how princess and dragon will work. Waiting days before playing a tile just so that the dragon can move around 6 times would be painful!

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you look over the rules for the expansion, for the main part there's a pretty straightforward set of weighted key logical conditions for the AI to consider for scoring, most of which are simple responses that are very similar to the rules it already follows now. Whether or not to place a pig, for example, is a decision that follows along much the same lines as whether or not to place the initial farmer, with a subsequent assessment of the completed and potential cities contacting the field. Whether or not to close up a city you don't own for the resources instead of the ownership score would need to take into account (amongst other things) the current scores, who currently owns how many of what resource, and how many resources are still to turn up in the game (to see if the loss of the city would be outweighed by gaining a monopoly on a resource, for example).

The use of the builder piece would probably take the longest to sort out, as it is the only real "new" mechanic in the expansion and requires an element of forethought to use it effectively (unless they just want the AI to dump it on any random road or city instead of one evaluated to be most strategic).

Conversely, P&D has many all-new mechanics that are markedly different from anything in the base game and which require a level of abstract thought, almost. These need a lot of work to enable the AI to use them effectively instead of simply randomly moving stuff around the table.

Mm-mm, that rule (on top of all the other new mechanics) is certainly a roadblock in the way of the implementation of P&D, although that particular issue is really a consideration of the impact on multiplayer games rather than any inherent problem with the expansion itself. There's no real reason not to implement it, but it probably wouldn't be the best expansion to turn on if you plan on playing a slow, long-term match (not unless you want it to be slower and longer-term, at any rate).

Of course, we don't have any information about the next expansion(s) yet anyway, so this is all academic. ^_^

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't played P&D, so i don't know how it works, but any such issues would be non-issues if you play the game live. So just scheduled some time for a game with friends and there you go.

Another one that would tricky to play asynch is the Castles & Bazaars. Or maybe the name is a bit more than that. Anyway, the Bazaars involve an auction. Doing that asynch would be painful. But played live it would be fun.

16. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yep, you'd certainly have to do this; if you really were playing one move per day and thus had to literally spend a week just taking turns moving a dragon back and forth and doing nothing else, you'd probably be ready to forfeit before you even placed the first real tile, considering that the volcano that marks the end of the River expansion summons the dragon. :D

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    One thing I really would like to see them add is the option to search for/set up quick play games with more than 2 players. I was really hoping that would be in this update. Also it would allow for use of such expansions that would be a chore played asynch.

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I have been trying with lots of free space as well, no difference. So I am playing on the ipad1 now while the dev checks what is ging on.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Clearly they heard you as there is ALREADY a patch to the patch! Does this do the trick? While not mentioning a crash fix for iPad 2s specifically, it sounds like they may have quashed your issue.

v1.4.1
    FIXED ISSUES

• Fixed a crash on start after updating on some versions of iOS 4
    • Fixed a crash on start after purchasing on some devices
    • Fixed disappearing Double Meeple on iPad when pressing next table
    • Improved responsiveness after receiving game moves
    • Fixed premature River Achievement

20. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I am considering this game but it seems like games take 45+ min. My boys are 6 and 8 and we seldom play a game that would take that long to complete. With the physical game, we could probably shorten the game by using fewer tiles or other house rules.

Thoughts the the i-version? Does the new Kids mode shorten the game?