Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    No, there's no Gears button on the same screen as chat. Just an invitation with a chat window and a Refuse button. (No Accept button or anything.) And two players. I'm showing as Ready on my device, but my friend thinks I'm still pending. There's nothing in the Internet Games list, there's only stuff in the invitations list.

We've both shut the app and reopened it. Are we missing anything?

2. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know you won't want to post them in the thread, but feel free to PM me your email addresses if you want a game ;)

3. -Saturos-

-Saturos- Member

May 9, 2010
    Will this be playable on the ipod touch too? If not why? :O

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Huh? I am playing on an iTouch. Not sure what you are asking.

5. -Saturos-

-Saturos- Member

May 9, 2010
    Well on the front page toucharcade says "iphone" only version.. I think i got it wrong somehow :D

6. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Does anyone know if they are going to put out a Lite version?

Or a place online I can play this game? I have never played or seen this game but it looks good.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Please PM me for my e-mail adress.
    I'd really like to have a bunch of games with anyone interested!

8. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    This game looked so much fun that I just had to get it. I do have a question, the online game is limited to how many people at the same time?

I'll play some games once my internet goes back to be decent (seems like dial up all over again around here @.@)

9. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    The game I invited my friend to suddenly started even though I didn't have the app open. But the two games he invited me to are still showing as invitations and haven't turned into games. I have no idea what's going on.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is the iPhone version but it looks great on an iPad 2x as well as a promise of a universal version down the road so us iPaders won't get deeked if we grab it early on.

11. idiotcoder

idiotcoder Member

Apr 22, 2010
    It's official. I'm in love.

If you are on the fence, buy it. If you aren't even currently considering this, buy it. Heck, just buy it.

12. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    #72 heffdog116, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    Is this game easy to learn for a noob? Looks real interesting, esp the MP and iPad support coming

Also, say someone is taking too long for their turn. Is there a time limit that would disqualify the player?

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    There is a version for the Xbox 360, and all game downloads there have free download and demo (I wish that were universally the case on the iPhone.) So if you've got an Xbox 360 you could try the game out that way. It's not going to have the same interface as the iPhone, but the game itself should be the same. Note that I haven't tried the demo yet there. I'm going to do so and then decide if I want to buy the iPhone version.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The 360 demo should definitely be enough to tell you if you want this version. It's the same team/company so the styles are very similar anyway, but there's enough gameplay in it to know whether or not you'll enjoy more.

15. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    Anyone want to pm me their email so we could be friends in this game. I would rather play this without the timer that is preset in quickplay mode. If we have each others emails then we could play an Internet mode with Freinds and without the timer :) just pm me if you are in. I could pm you my email too if you are apprehensive

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not sure of time limits for multiplayer (so folk can't simply wait you out so that when you finally disconnect they get a win) but the game has an excellent interactive tutorial and manual if you need to later review stuff. You'll find you'll have the rules down in now time but being able to play proficiently might take a while. Like as it is now for me. I understand the scoring mechanics and therefore know what I need to do to score points but I'm not knowledgeable enough that I can accurately see what my opponent is setting up and try to nip it in the bud.

I played my first game (at least on this iPhone version) against the Easy AI and managed to pull off a tie...but as I'm rated higher than the AI (the game uses a cool Chess Ranking like system) I lost ranking points. A pisser but a clever system even when it screwed me.

17. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Thanks Gek. Will pick this up later and shoot over a PM with my email.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I purchased this soley because a few friends of mine were addicted to the XBox 360 version but I never got around to getting it for the 360 however, I'm more than happy to grab this portable version.

Only started up the tutorial but I can see why everyone else is raving about the game. The level of polish is insane, great graphics, simple menus, fantastic dialog and good music... pretty much everything you could ask for. Not to mention they are going to allow users who buy now for $4.99 a free upgrade to the Universal app which is great for iPad users.

As someone else said if the same developers had been handling Catan it would have probably turned out a thousand times better and include online but one can't complain. I'm still enjoying Catan and am hopeful for more things to come in updates for the future.

19. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    I don't have a 360. :/

20. #80 mrbass, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    Seen a question about is there a demo online or whatever. Sure you can play this game online java version but don't think they accept new accounts and it's not official.

Another question concerned strategy.

Scoring works like this
    You claim a road by putting one of your five guys (or is it 7 I forget) and once that road is closed you score one point for each segment of road.

If you get a church (cloister) and you put your guy there and you surround it with tiles you score 9 points (1 pt + 8 pts for each of the surrounding sides including diagonal.

Cities that are closed score 2 points per city section and if you see those blue shield things it gives another 2 points I think bonus per each one.

When you close cities and roads you get your guy returned to your hand and can use again.

Farmers the guys you lay flat down on the green farm section they score 3 points per completed closed city. Usually play these guys near end of game unless you think there are a ton of small completed cities popping up and you wish to claim it before someone else does.

There is also end game scoring which is usually half like instead of 2 pts per city you only get 1. However, roads you still get 1 point.

XBLA version has a couple of more customization options for like rule variations and stuff like that but it's not a huge thing. This iteration is solid and foundation is great for the forthcoming expansions.

Ok here is where the strategy comes in ...basically you want to STEAL other peoples hard work.

To steal a city you can not just put your city tile attached another existing one a put a guy there that is already claimed by another player but rather you put a city tile semi close to the vicinity and place your guy there and hope you can eventually connect to it and share the points with the original builder. Obviously the existing owner should try to prevent this and close off their city in that area if at all possible.

Same thing for roads you can place a road not currently attached and hope to eventually connect.

If you do have like 2 guys in a huge city and the other only has 1 then only you will score.

This is just the tip of the iceberg there are tons of expansions to this game which really add flavor and additional strategy I'm looking forward to it coming out.