Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Wow, a solitaire mode has been added that is new to the series.

I'm playing @2x on the iPad and if you pay your 5 bucks now, you get the full iPad update free. Otherwise, it will be like $10.

If anyone is on the fence about this, get off. This is money.

2. squelart

squelart Member

May 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #42 squelart, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    How did they get crisp iPad images?

I've just tried the game on iPad, it's great of course, but I'm (pleasantly) surprised at how the tiles look at the 2x zoom: I can't see any pixellation! Other things on the screen (text, meeples) look pixellated.

Is that an optical illusion because the tiles are pictures without sharp lines, or are images handled differently from text and vectors by the iPad 2x zoom?

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #43 djflippy, Jun 4, 2010
    Agreed!

Any of my ppls on here, feel free to look me up on BGG, as well; same user name.

P.S.- OMG, you even get an ELO rating. This is win. LOL, I just pulled three consecutive Cloisters!

4. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bahaha, can't believe we DREW a match! That's gotta be practically unheard of!
    I thought I was so far behind that game...kind of like game 2, those fields you nicked were ace, netted you like 25 points!

I'm expecting our next game will be a bit more interesting, since we know how it all works now. Good game though :)

5. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Do you HAVE to have email addresses to play online, or can you play random strangers without it?

6. dvdashot

dvdashot Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Game Impressions

Gorgeous implementation of an absolutely brilliant board game. The amount of polish here really blows me away. My only complaint is how much it drains the battery, but it's to be expected with how beautiful the game is to play.

Enjoy!... NOW!

7. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Solitare mode = win!!!!

I've bought the "real" game with a few expansions, the XBLA version, and now this one. They are all great. This is no exception. If you like board games in the least, do yourself a huge favor and buy this immediatly!

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #48 currymutton, Jun 4, 2010
    Oh, instant buy for me!

Now I wish Catan had had wifi multiplayer....

Newbie question: is the implementation just the original or some expansions (a la XBLive) included?

9. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Quick Play online mode looks for a random stranger to play against.
    Adding people via email is only really for your friends list.

Having said that, I'm *fairly* sure that after finding a game against a random, you can then go and add them to your FL without needing their email address.

Can anyone confirm that, as I've only had friend matches so far?

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    haha, definitely. That one enormous town you did was like 40 points :( I should have cut you off at the knees when I had the chance :p

11. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    No question - insta-buy :D

12. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    God, this game is just so freaking fantastic. I'm gonna be playing this all the goddamn time.

13. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Game Impressions

Have to say, this is the very definition of 'polished' - superb job by the devs. Its worth paying the £2.99 just to see how polished an iPhone game can be.

I'd played Carcassone a bit on XBLA so knew what it was all about, but its just a perfect handheld (rather than console) game - especially with the asynchronous play model (think Words With Friends).

Everything just shines and works well and its also a fun game.

Totally worth paying out the money now and then getting the iPad version as I imagine that will really round this out as a top game for the 'i' devices.

14. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    #54 Cougarcat, Jun 4, 2010
    The Catan IP owners should hire these guys to redo Catan.

The Iconfactory did the interface work, no wonder it looks so good!

Edit...And the voiceover...HILARIOUS! "When the game is done, why not show your friends how smart you are?"

15. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    So I just played a few games of it on my Xbox Live Arcade trial version, and I am actually liking it. But I'm still unsure how exactly you're supposed to strategize. I mean, I think I know the object of the game, but I don't understand the strategy involved. What kind of things do I need to think about so that I have a strategic edge? :p

And a side question: How is Solitaire Mode played?

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'll skip the strategy question since this game has ELO rankings and I'd prefer people not know what I'm up to, haha.

Solitaire starts with one card on the board. The goal is to make cities and roads in ascending order. First you need take make a city and road of 2 tiles each. Then 3, then 4, then 5. Once you make a road and a city of 6 tiles each the game ends. Each tile you place that doesn't complete a road or a city subtracts from your score.

You try to complete it using as few cards as possible.

17. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Maybe I'm being stupid, but how do you accept invitations from the Internet. Neither I nor my friend can start games. We've sent each other invitations, but how do we accept? I'm showing Ready on my screen, but he says he can't start the game and the invite I sent out says he's Pending still.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    When you go into the app try

Normal game > resume game

It should show you your invitations sent/pending and games.

If not then go to
    Normal game > Internet > play with friends
    Then select your friend from the list and start a game

19. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I've got a list of Internet Invitations, but they just say "Sit back and relax. You'll be notified when the game begins." My friend can't press the Start button.

In my game where I've invited him, it still shows him as Pending.

There's a Refuse button on the invitation, but no Accept. We can chat, but we can't work out how to actually start a game.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Have you both tried exiting and reopening the app and seeing if it starts?

There was some confusion when Windburn and I tried to play which is how we ended up with two games at the same time.

You can also try sitting the Gear for settings on the game screen (I'm assuming you can see it if you can chat) and see if there is a button that says "next table" if it's there then tap on it