Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Remon

Remon Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    when i opened the appstore on my iphone this morning i saw Carcassonne new in the top 50 on the 25e spot (the netherlands). i remembered reading about it on toucharcade, so i went online to this form, read all the positive reactions, got the app and now I'm so glad i listens to you guy's!!!! what - a - nice - game! I've never played this game before today. so if you've never played this game before and you are on the fence, go get it now! you won't be disappointed....

2. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I've been enjoying this a lot. My only question is, when are we getting expansions? I'm drooling over the thought of having a few different expansions to check on or off before each game (so much easier than with the actual board game).

And yeah, I know they'll cost more (except hopefully Rivers), I'll definitely pay for them...

3. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I've played so many games with both River expansions and "Inns and Cathedrals", it's a struggle playing the original game again. I want my big meeple!

4. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    [​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

As far as fields are concerned, do you get points from a meeple lying down in this instance? (see red circled area). What I mean is does the road in this situation block and create a new adjacent field or does that tiny gap mean it's classed as one big field?
    I'm asking because I KNOW for a fact I've had 2 meeples lying down to the AI's 1 although one of mine was sectioned off by one of these roads and we both shared the points.

5. you get nine points (3 pts per city) for red area field (I can see three cities) unless that top huge city is also a city then 12 points . Your other guy is cut off so you would share the field above with the A.I.

6. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. Are you saying the road I have circled does NOT divide the field (I know there is a tiny gap between the road and the city wall)?
    In the picture I posted would I be right in thinking the yellow meeple at the bottom would score 12 points and the other 2 meeples (1 yellow 1 blue) would score 6 each?

7. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    I also have another question.... if I build a city that contains 2 meeples do I get double points?

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Nope. You dont get double points for that.

9. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    That road isn't causing it to be sectioned off, the cities are. You have one field with two meeples, one yellow one blue, and a second field with a yellow meeple. Also, it looks like he has a second blue meeple off on the very left side of the screenshot, which may be in the same field.

10. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    If Carcassonne was a first person shooter, IGN would have given it a 9.5.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Agree, as much as I hate IGN it is always nice to see good reviews.

Is there an online etiquette for playing random games? Just asking because I've had a few randoms so far who disconnect 3/4 of the way through the game. I get the win but still, it stinks playing for all that time to not have the satisfaction of finishing the game.

The first game I admit I did jump in and build upon a city they had been working on but other than that I didn't really play agressively. The second game I just worried about my cities and they still quit. :(

Also noticed a couple AppStore reviews complaining about the timer against randoms. You don't have the timer with friends, the lastthing I want is to play with a random and wait 5 minutes or so for them to make one move.

12. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I am still not sure if I can play this version with multiplayer on one iPad. Anyone know?

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking if there is local multiplayer?

If so the answer is yes.
    You can play a 5 player game (One of those is you) locally. Your 4 opponents can be any mix of human or AI.

There is an option to "add from contact list" but I don't have anyone on my contact list with the game to test it out. It might just copy their name and hold their stats but it might allow a friend to join your local game via wifi, I just don't know

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hi, I'm really in love with the game and the whole super polished package.
    If you're on the fence, as other have said...just buy it!

I have one question though.
    I'm alternating between solo local play with the AI (which I found very good and realistic...seems almost to play with real people) and quick internet play (no friends with the game unfortunately).

I noticed that in quick play if I pause and than exit, I'll receive a push message saying it's my turn...and I can wait as long as I want (it should be nice/mandatory for everyone to write something to warn your opponent that you cannot play immediately, just to let her/him know).
    But...what happen if I receive a call during internet play...maybe a call longer than one minute?
    Will the game autopause?
    Will I automatically loose?

What happens if I tap the HOME button exiting from the game, without having put the game on pause?

I'm asking because on the Carcassonneapp web site it seems the game will pause, but I've read here that you loose automatically (seems strange to me).

Many thanks.

15. Ahambone

Ahambone Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I've had the same problem. The funny thing about Carcassonne is that you can be winning comfortably all game, but one or two moves towards the end can completely flip the score if you aren't careful.

16. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Has anyone noticed any consistencies with the AI? I'm just wondering because I have been playing the "easy" AI just while I get the hang of the game and it can be hard to determine what their priority is, sometimes they will focus on roads, other times small cities, other times I have even seen them play a meeple in the first couple turns on a farm. Then sometimes they will fight for their life to claim something like the farm.

Then I played a 1 on 1 match against one of the "strong" AIs and it was a really close game however, I lost. I can't really remember what he was focusing on but the next game I had was with the Countess who is another "strong" AI opponent and I decimated her. She kept focusing on one huge city then she started to try and merge it with one that I had going but I managed to get the upper hand with one more meeple than herself and I finished the city and claimed all points. By the end of the game she still had 3 meeples she never even played and she didn't even make an attempt at claiming the farm.

It would be neat if each AI had their own type of playing style, unfortunately I haven't noticed anything yet.

17. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    #297 swampthing, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    They kinda do. The Easy guys tend to play more conservatively and farms aren't that much of a priority to them.

The AI for strong comes into its own for 2-player mode, but with more players it is much harder to complete cities and even the strong AIs fumble. Perhaps she couldn't play the pieces and the farm was already spoken for?

The Evil and Unpredictable guys are fun as well, but I find that the closest games tend to be those played with real people. The game is also quite dependent on luck and getting the right pieces to complete your territories.

18. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    While I had control of the farm for half the game and not once did they make an attempt to take control over it. Not that I'm complaining. :D

I can't wait until I get the internet fixed at our house so I can play online, nothing beats playing another human player.

I was also reading all the rules for all the different expansions so now I'm really looking forward to the DLC.

19. #299 mrbass, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Played xbox 360 version with river 1 expansion once and twice with out it two buddies of mine. Then they played ipad version.

Their comments were yes they didn't need the 3D on xbox but they DID like castles and roads completed turned gray. So any more visual indication of a completed city or road be it a color change of entire city or border color change would be nice.

Scoring I could follow on xbox360 at end of game. iPad goes way too fast when it's scoring at end of game. I think they should slow it down by a least half.

So for xbox360 live edition has 3 expansions The River 1, River 2 and King & Baron each one is like $5.

20. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    The XBox Live version does have 3 expansions however, The River expansion is included with the actual game. The River II and Kings and Barons are both available as DLC and cost 300 MS Points each. I don't own the 360 version but I have heard things about the DLC not working correctly so I would probably research them before buying them.

As far as scoring goes at the end game, I agree, it goes too fast. I think they should slow it down or let you review the map as it was before they began the scoring with all meeples still on the board and all tiles laid.

Another thing I noticed is that it is really hard to win multiplayer games (1 humor with 2 or more AI players) because they never really do anything to screw over another AI but all of them will do their best to ensure you get screwed over. Basically it turns out to be a 2 on 1, 3 on 1, or 4 on 1. I've only managed to pull off a couple wins with more than one AI member.

I also don't notice much of a difference between the easy and strong players. Sometimes the easy AI are harder to take down than the strong and no it isn't because of the randomness of the tiles. It just seems easier to predict what the strong players will do while the easy AI seems kind of unpredictable at times.

I guess where the game really shines though is online so I need to get my internet working at home again so I can really enjoy the game. :D