Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    I really can't imagine there being a bug in regards to the fields. The logic for it is pretty simple, and it would have had to get through a lot of playtesting unnoticed. It's far more likely that you either overlooked a connection to an opponent's meeple, or mistakenly thought one of yours was connected. Keep in mind that cities cut fields off, unless they have field tiles placed on all sides of them.

2. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    im today gonna pick this up.
    but i really dont even know
    nothing what in this game
    you got to do, i didnt
    undestand it on video sorry. :/
    but still picking it up today, then
    i can learn heh :D

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    @camihq - The game is easy enough to play, and the tutorial is well done.

You'll enjoy it!

4. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    good, i will pick it today!

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    IGN reviewed Carcassonne giving it a 8.0. :D

I think their comment about the expansions is right on track. They said they would have liked to see at least one included to get an idea of what the expansions add to the game and I kind of agree. It would be nice to get at least one expansion as a free update to give us an idea of what they are like so we can decide if we wish to purchase the additional expansions through In App purchases.

Not that it really matters to me because I love the game so much I'm sure I'll buy them all anyway. :D

6. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Expansions

Carcassonne has more expansions that China has people (~20). They have done a wonderful job with the base game. I hope they act reasonably and package several expansion together instead of DLCing us to death.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They should at least give out The River, since people buying the boxed game get The River anyway. (As well as the XBL players...)

That being said, this game is very well done, I feel it's a super value for the $5 I paid for it and would gladly pay a dollar each for expansions. If they're $2 each I'd only shell out for the first two.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah this version has actually got me more interested in the actual game so I called around to price it and it is pretty expensive. Here in Canada most local stores sell the new Big Box set with some of the expansions for $90 plus tax so we are getting a fantastic deal for $4.99. I think I'm going to purchase it one of these days but at least with this version I know as long as I have WiFi I will always have an opponent. :D

9. idiotcoder

idiotcoder Member

Apr 22, 2010
    The River expansion is nearly necessary, as it stops the mega-fields from developing. That's my only complaint (and even that is not really a complaint) about the game. Played a lot so far and I am very happy with it.

10. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I've still made some gigantic fields with the river involved, but yeah it's helpful.

I play mandatory river and inns/cathedrals... no fun without those!

11. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    jumped on this one. Love it single player. plenty of challenge.

if multiplayer is remotely well done, I will have a hard time playing other games.

well done.

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Just bought this game using a $50 iTunes gift card. Pretty dang cool, man.

13. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    It's pretty much the best multiplayer in a board game I've ever seen. You have the option of timed matches against random opponents using an ELO rating system which pairs you with similarly skilled players, or you can invite friends via email and play games at a leisurely pace with push notifications when it's your turn. There's also real-time chat in either mode, random or with friends.

14. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Game Impressions

Brilliant conversion of one of my favorite all-time games. My only feature request is an option to turn off the vibration when it is my turn in Multiplayer games.

15. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Starlit Citadel will probably give you a decent price in CA.

16. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Great game. My one feature request (besides including Rivers for free) is:

Ability to place the tile back into bucket in the upper right corner during a turn. Sometimes I lay down a tile, but decide I want to put it elsewhere on the map, so I have to drag it across the entire board. It would be nice if I could drag it to back into the menu on the right, so I can can freely browse the map and drag it out of the menu again later.

17. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I have never played this game and mainly like casual board games like monopoly, boggle, life, ludo,scrabble ...etc

Is this game overly complex or more on the casual side ?

Also, can it be played multiplayer on one ipad and is there an ipad specific version due out ?

Even though I have no idea how to play, it looks so nice :)

18. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    You don't have to drag it, just tap in the new box you want to place it - the tile will zip across by itself.

19. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Just bought it and really enjoying it. Simple but a lot of depth. Never played the boardgame so still trying to get my head around the scoring.

20. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I think you will be be pleasantly surprised. I grew up on the standard American fare such as those you list and was quite happy with them until I discovered Euros such as Carcassonne. Now you couldn't pay me to play many American standards such as Sorry or Monopoly.

Buy, try it, you won't be sorry.