Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Yes i did. (If you mean Rules under game help menu)
    But there are simply some occasions at final scoring where i cannot understand why sometimes all 3 players get same points in correct manner comparing to field-city situations, but another time, for example, only one gets points (and strange number of those also) even though field situation looks almost identical :confused:

Or sometimes i'm sure that i'm gonna score determine amount of points but i get or 3x more, or next time 4x less...but i'm not that "blind" :(
    It could be, it got to be, just me and not fully understand rules, but...that's strange somehow.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There could be bugs but the reason several folk will often get points for the same fields is the same principle that allows multiple players to collect on completed roads and cities. If somebody has already claimed the area/road/city you can't claim it BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, if an area you claimed later is connected to areas already claimed by others, you all share in the points. Something not clear to me, and maybe this is what is throwing you off as well, is if there is a way to DENY other players' their field points. In the case of cities and roads, if you manage to have more people on the given road/city than any other player, you receive the points and they don't (but it is only scored once, not per meeple you have on the same feature). Does anybody know if this same rule applies to farmland as well (i.e. if I have 2 meeples in a given field while another player only has 1, do I get all of the points?).

3. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Yes, that applies to fields. Here's how it works: Only the person with the greatest number of meeples placed on a "property" receives points for it. In the case of a tie (say, three players, each with one meeple in the same field), all players score. The points are not divided among them, each person receives the full amount. Additional meeples do not multiply the points, they serve as tiebreakers, allowing you to score points while denying other players who have fewer meeples placed on the same property.

4. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    #184 Mistrya, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    I just have weird situation, sadly did not remember to get screen shots, but i could sworn both players are sharing same field but only CPU got all points. It's not a bug just not showing my points, because on scores view his green "pie-piece" is much larger than my so clearly i'm not score any points.

But, i'm not 100% sure where those meeples was. Next time i'll get screen shots earlier and share here with u guys.

Edit: I did not saw TheSporkWithin's post earlier, which could explain this. My opponent surely have placed another meeple, but somewhere far (on same filed obviously) so i did not consider.
    This explains a lot, almost crucial but it's not in the rules/tutorial also - why?! :(

Big thanks to TheSporkWithin ;)

5. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    If he had two meeples in the field and you only had one, only he would score, perhaps that's what happened? See my last post if you don't understand.

6. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

You can add friends via email-invite and then play a game against up to 4 of those "friends". When you are all online, the game will be live, which means that after each turn the next person will automatically be active without push notification. But you can leave this game and switch to another game or to another app and then the game will automatically use push notifications to alert you when it's your turn.

So the speed of the game and whether it uses push notifications or not is just based on your online status. Just try it. It magically "just works". Even in the subway with poor Edge network and several network losses.

You can also start a quick game against a random player with a similar ELO than you have. you than have 60 seconds for each turn. But keep in mind that this will take at least 30 minutes where both have to be online at the same time.

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

In my handbook the game tells me, that the person gets points who puts the most meebles on stuff. And if all players put the same number of meebles on stuff, all players get points. RTFM ;)

8. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest
    Some strategy

I've had this game (board game) for quite awhile, it's a favorite amongst my friends, and I've got some further tips for y'all.

After awhile you'll figure out what tiles are available and you'll see opportunities to screw your opponents over =) For instance if an opponent has a huge castle that you can't get into, you may be able to make it impossible for him/her to close it! Try placing tiles so that the tile they would need to finish their castle simply doesn't exist. Sure, they'll still get single points for it at the end of the game, but they won't get the double points AND they'll have a trapped meeple for the rest of their game. This can be brutal if done early.

I've played a game where my 2 friends had 2 meeple each in a huge castle, no way I'd be able to get 2 in myself to share the points, but I made the castle unclosable, and they had 2 meeples out of play for the rest of the game!

Also, at the end of the game, with few tiles left, often if you're looking for the most possible points for your last meeple, you can find a small field somewhere with a completed castle and farm for a quick 3 points. Usually better than some small road or incomplete castle.

Hope that made sense!

9. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks!

Perhaps its a good idea for the devs to make this easier then - rather than everyone giving out emails.

Wouldnt it have been better to have used usernames (or even Plus+, Crystal etc?)

Nobody is going to (easily) give out their emails on a public forum to get some games :(

If anyone does want to add me though, please PM me and I'll definitely add you for games.

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Yes, the eMail-thing bothers me as well. I would love having them import Twitter or Facebook and than match friends with the imported users.

11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tutorial should probably be expanded. Usually, I think tutorial, I think something that is sufficient to allow you to really play the game.

I played a game...but scoring is still a (near) total mystery to me.

Guess I now have to read the manual section.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I bought it when it first hit the App Store and I have to say I'm really enjoying Carcassonne. I never played the board game or the 360 version (which a number of my friends kept asking me to buy) but I'm really getting into the iPhone version.

Haven't had the chance to try an online game but I played a number of games with the AI as well as a couple games of Solitaire. Can someone tell me what the ultimate goal is in the Solitaire mode is? From what I understand you have to complete roads and cities in a consecutive order such as 2 then 3 then 4, 5, 6 and so on. So how does doing this build to your overall score?

13. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    OK, I think I'm ready to add some of you as friends to play over the airwaves. Who wants to add me?

14. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    You're right, the aim is to complete cities and roads of consecutive sizes from 2 up to (and including) 6, and finish with the highest score possible. The twist is that instead of gaining points, you start with 1000 and lose points every time you place a tile.

The number of points per tile you lose is calculated by adding up the number of tiles in the width and height of your current grid. So if the tiles you've played so far fit inside a 3x2 grid, you lose 5 points for every tile. Add another tile to make the grid 3x3 or 4x2 and you'll lose 6 points, etc.

The game ends when you either complete all the required roads and cities in order, or run out of tiles. I've got no idea what happens if your score hits 0, but it's probably a sign that you've messed the level up and need to restart :)

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    So the game ends when you complete all the required roads and cities in order. How do you know how may are required? Forgive my question if this is stupid and I'm just missing it in the game.

16. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    At the bottom of the screen it shows you what you should be aiming for, next to your score.

17. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    It says what the next size city and road you need on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. The first number (next to the signpost icon) is the size of road you need to complete, the second number (next to the little castle icon) is the size of the castle you need. The final number is the current score.

Note that you must complete them in order, so if it says you need a size 3 city next, you'll be wasting your time if you accidentally create a size 4 by mistake.

18. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Tried to send a PM, but you have blocked them :(

19. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I war referring to iPhone version/tutorial-manual/rules only, also i was unable to download official handbook of real board game, i was sure that can be found there ;)

20. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Yes he is, we were actually writing post at the same time so I dod not saw yours immediately. Tnx big time once more, you made my day :)
    Now it's all clear to me and i can fully enjoy strategy ;)