iPad Car Jack Streets - GTA game coming to iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jazzy911, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jazzy911

jazzy911 Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Just saw this news over on Pocket Gamer and like wow, this is the type of game I'm desperate for on iPhone! I *loved* the original retro GTA games ;-)

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Car+Jack+Streets/news.asp?c=9953

Haven't played the mobile version but the review on Pocket Gamer sounds promising and if the developer can add 3D buildings, objects and vehicles this could be awesome...

Not due for release until next year tho :mad:

2. I loved the original GTA games, and it might just work so long as they get the conrol right. Fingers crossed.

3. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Tag games huh, those guys are here. More info please!

4. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks promising! :D

5. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Tag checking in!

Yeah the cats out of the bag! We're hard at work on our critically acclaimed action/driving mobile game Car Jack Streets and pumping it up ready for an iPhone release in the new year.

The game is selling like hot cakes on mobile across Europe and will be in North America on all the major operators February/March. We expect to have the iPhone version out shortly afterwards.

With Car Jack we went back to the core things that made the original GTA games so enjoyable - great car handling, a huge variety of vehicles, big open city environment, focus on area effect weapons (no point punching someone when your character is 16 pixels wide!) and non-linear game-play. We did all this and then added real time game-play and a few other new ideas into the mix to make sure its really playable in 10-15 minute chunks but also can be played for hours at a time if thats your thing.

Can't say too much about the iPhone version other than it will feature a 3D engine (still top down viewpoint) and a number of new features we didn't have time/resource to get into the mobile game. I'll make sure we release more details to Touch Arcade as things progress!

In the meantime if anyone wants to suggest features they'd like us to include that would be cool.

Oh and look out for forum regulars Trent and Armbruster starring in one of our next releases in a couple of weeks time :)

P

6. Sammy1995

Sammy1995 Active Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Hows astro Ranch coming along? Any new info?

7. Hello Paul- nice to hear from you.

"look out for forum regulars Trent and Armbruster starring in one of our next releases"

What's that one called- Laurel & Hardy? (JOKE!!!)

About your game, could you tell us how you plan to implement the control scheme?

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Paul Suprise us again! Looks cool, can't wait to see some screens or vid

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008

10. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Looks nice....Hope GTA Chinatown Wars is something better :)

11. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Hey Guys,

Can't really say much about Astro Ranch other than it's in development, we've tweaked the art style to make it a bit more colourful and we are watching all the pricing issues on the App Store very closely. We can't put a game that costs the same as a AAA DS title to develop for sale at $0.99 especially when its an original game with no branding, or at this stage a publisher with big marketing budget to really push it!

The biggest issue in making Car Jack great on iPhone is going to be the control system. We've learnt a huge amount from players of Rock'n'Roll and I think the team here are really disappointed that so many players either didn't 'get' the motion control or struggled with it. We will be spending a lot of time focus testing to make sure it's spot on and will probably provide a few different schemes for player's to choose from. Early feeling is that something like the controls for Black Mamba Racing will work well for driving, on foot game-play will be easier to address with a number of obvious implentations.

Looks like GTA Chinatown Wars is going to be great on DS. Big issue with that game for iPhone is the content and the strict rules about what can go on the App Store. Car Jack is much more palatable for a wider audience!

I think you'll all be surprised with just how good Trent and Armbruster look in game... let's just say our good friends Rock and Roll will be making a special Christmas visit to the App Store so look out for them in a couple of weeks time :)

Keep in touch
    P

12. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

Haha.

@wastedyuthe:
    screw you. lol.

13. You referring to the Laurel & Hardy comment I take it? Yeah, that was kind of harsh on Trent wasn't it?

14. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

Who the hell is Trent? And why is he stealing my thunder?

I'll be Hardy.

15. Yeah, that'd be right actually. Your last PM sounded JUST like Hardy (Bossy sod :D )

16. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    just remember us little people when you're a mega-star ;)

17. fusionXdevelopment

Oct 29, 2008
    Paul is this game just for iphone and 2nd gen touch or also for 1st gen ipod touch. I'm tired of some games being IPhone or 2nd gen touch only since all devices are capable please don't alienate the 1st generation touch costomers

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    You can take hardy, He was the fat one with a... "familiar" mustache

I'm skinny so I should be Laurel.

plus I'm funnier, so it works out well

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_&_Hardy

19. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    hey paul

please check your PM for my iphone ID#. i sent it to you a couple of days ago and havent heard anything yet...

20. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    #20 Haephestos, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
    I thought this will be sweet but then I saw that it would be top down. Still great, but not quite as sweet....
    Sounds great though and I would happily buy it.
    Will there be air vehicles and differing environments? One thing I loved about GTA was the changing environs from city to countryside to desert.
    Also I was thinking about the top down viewpoint and thought, considering that it is all 3d, that it wouldn't be too hard to include an option for a third person view like gta (accelerometer to walk, view automatically changes, tap enemies to shoot). If you do that you would have to make the character a bit bigger on the screen. I seem to recall something about 16 pixels wide.....
    This is not meant to be criticism, I will buy it whatever, but these are just my suggestions on what would make this the best for me.

Thx,
    Haephestos

P.S. Love the idea, looking forward to it!!!!!