Universal Captain Temporium (By Mark Hessburg)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 23, 2016.

1. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    iOS 8

My iOS device is an iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.3)

2. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Sorry for my mistake to not support iOS 8 before. iPad Air 2 will work perfectly.
    The game was originally made for Apple TV which has similar hardware. For iOS I never test on anything faster than iPad Air (1).

3. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ah those memories... Have played kind of a similar game back the days... :)

Is the tvOS separately available or is it all inclusive in that universal package? :)

4. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Yes, the version for Apple TV is included. Actually I wish I could include the Mac version too.

Me too. In the early 1980s after swimming we usually hung around at the ice cream shop which was integrated into the building of the swimming bath. It had a panorama window to the swimming pool and one or two arcade machines so other kids hung around there too eating ice cream and watching the battles for the high score. At this time I’ve decided I must have this game and started coding. Which was a silly idea because I tried it first on a Magnavox Odyssee II in Assembler with the cartridge "Computer Programmer“ :D

But my universe suddenly expanded when I’ve finally entered the Home Computer era which started for me in 1983 with the VIC20 of a friend. I’ve actually sold my first title three years later as a listing to a magazine but it took me 34 years to make the game which I wanted to make when I started coding.

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Oh hell yea people!! It's game on now!!!! The update just landed. The analog stick has arrived. The ship controls perfectly.

It's a damn hard game but it's fun. Great job VIC! Thank you for adding the analog stick! It's a much better game now. I love the voice over too.

Question though, where's the pause button lol??

Billy

6. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Great, good to know that you like the new controls.
    On all older devices the performance should be better too.

Pause button is available with game controllers only. I think adding another button would clutter the screen. You could always use the home button to pause the game. But if people really need it then I could add one with another update.

7. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    #47 Gurney Halleck, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    I really loved Time Pilot too so I just smashed the buy button after seeing the option for new controls!

Thank you LordShadOwz and Vic20 for the dialogue that led to improved controls!

A side note: many games allow for an invisible or highly transparent symbol in the upper corner or very top middle of the screen for pause. I wouldn't mind this at all and a pause button would be handy. Personally I like it just being a little zone with a subtle queue that allows deliberate pause without risk of accidental activation.

Also, one additional thought: The icon could be more eye catching than it is right now. Not a big deal, but if it could be made to more accurately capture the fun and theme of the game (even if still just a logo instead of say a busy scene with fighters etc...)

Special thanks to the Dev for being so responsive here and for working so quickly to improve the game from player feedback! This is exactly what motivated my purchase!

Game On!!

8. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Thank you. Seems I should add a pause button. :)

I am not really happy with the icon too. Actually I loved the original icon but I saw on the App Store analytics that all my other App get much more clicks per App Store impression. The game isn’t selling good at all – less than 150 copies so far – so I thought I need a totally different icon but I didn’t wanted to delay the update anymore just because I had no better icon yet and so I ended with the new one.

9. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    Great stuff! The analog stick really makes all the difference.

10. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Thank you. Has anyone tried it with MFi controllers?

PS: Please don’t forget to rate it on the App Store. I think stars don’t show up in any store yet because it still has a low number of raters.

11. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    No need to apologize, I'm glad that you've acknowledged your support for iOS 8; this firmware is still very capable and is very stable. :)

12. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Basically It was just a click away. Someone confirmed me in an email that since the update the game finally works fine and without crashing on iPad 2 now. I personally had no chance to test it on iPad 2 before.

Now that controls are fixed I can’t wait to see someone beating my current high score of 122,448 points :D

PS: please rate it on the App Store.

13. callidus2000

callidus2000 New Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Tried it yesterday with my MFI gamepad. The game rocks, MFI is perfect for it. Even as it is still quite hard, I got a 15x score compared to before. Very great game.

Regarding the difficulty: maybe it could become adjustable by option... It's frustrating that I need multiple bullets for a red baron WWII plane and every WWII plane can shoot me down with one hit....

Maybe an armor damage level would be better than the temporal backups (lifes)? But that's complaining on a very high level ;-)

14. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks. I’m not used to game pads at all, so it was hard for me to figure out if it controls feel good this way. I’m used to large HOTAS & pedals for gaming because I play mostly flightsims.

That’s why I gave the game shields. By the free usage of limited shields you can create your own style how to play the game most effective. But maybe I could add an additional armor damage level too, or would it be better to make the enemy bullets a little slower?

There is a reason why the Red Baron, the thunderbolt, the cobra etc. needs two hits: the parachutes are triggered by those harder to kill aircraft. This is something I wanted the player to discover over time. Well, now everyone who reads this knows it. :)

15. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok maybe the game IS a little to easy, but that's just my opinion.

Also now 2nd place for score.

16. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #56 VIC20, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Congrats to 2nd best high score. :)

Now the range of opinions goes from quite hard to a little too easy. We need more opinions to find out if and how I should adjust the difficulty.

17. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Bought it and love it! Really guys, you should try this. It's very playable, not too hard! Haven't tried on a Mac but on my wife's iPhone 6 - hell lots of fun and very polished! :) Too sad (for me) it's not available on Android though!

Cheers!

18. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Thank you. But I will adjust difficulty a bit to make it a little easier to survive.

Personally I love it most on the Mac. Sorry, I don’t support Android platform at all.

19. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Updates delayed for some days – currently too busy. But I will adjust difficulty with the next update.

20. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Was away over the holidays so I will update it in January.
    I’ve reduced the price for iOS and macOS versions. Will set it back to normal after New Year's Day.