Universal Captain Cowboy (By Wadonk AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Founder of Wadonk. Lead Singer in Maskinpop
    Vislanda, Sweden
    #101 Bob Nimbe, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Damn!
    It's hard so hard to know how the update behaves since I'm using local files. Has worked in my dev-updates but, it seems to have wiped your dear save games (the iPad even updates from dev 1.1 to store 1.2 without losing the save) :/
    I'm so sorry.
    Ice cream for everyone. Mail me your adresses and I will start packing.

On the good note, it's up! And the 4S support is a huge bonus. Gonna see what's up with that iPad Mini though.

So be sure to finish your games before updating!
    If you were stuck, feel that refreshing feeling of oldschool "damn, I got stuck and need to start over" and then there will be ice cream.

2. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    #102 Bob Nimbe, Jan 21, 2016
    The only iPad-device it works great on seems to be the iPad Air 2. (Also my test device) . I messed up on the scaling when I hurried to get the new version out, but didn't notice cause the Air 2 is just so damn powerfull it could handle it. I'm gathering some more devices for testing now and will fix performance asap. It's the CRT-filter that mess it up, trying to compensate for the massive resolutions on the iPads.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I love the irony of waiting for a week for an update without playing because I didn't want to lose my save, then losing my save to the update.

I'm straight back in there regardless, and glad of the Re-Enter option. I've had to use it once and accidentally used it another once or twice!

If I'm ever in Vislanda, I'll look you up for that ice cream! :)

4. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    My door is open! :)

And I knew I should have stuck with my original plan of no continues at all. Just a friendly "game over" but illmidus was all like "Noooo, what if people suck!" And I was like "Well, then the game will tell them!"

Then I tried playing it for real myself and... well now we have an re-enter button as well ;)

But there's one crazy dude who actually beat the game without dying once, with 2800 diamonds. Took him a few weeks ;D .

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Downwell had a similar issue. It performed great on my 4S and lame on my iPad 3. Since I found it weird, I "hacked" the game so that it would load the iPhone version on the iPad. It worked great and since resolution wasn't an issue, it looked as the iPad version since the game hasn't got high-res tiles, albeit without iPad display. I told the dev and he came up with an "optimized mode" which just loads the iPhone version for older iPads.

Maybe you could do the same and put an "optimized mode" button in the settings that loads the iPhone tiles on older iPads... Dunno, just suggesting.

6. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    #106 Bob Nimbe, Jan 21, 2016
    It's a scaling issue where it puts the full blown resolution screen into the filter instead of just the actual game resolution which overdelivers into perfect sharp CRT-glow.

Just need to sort my launchImages correctly and get it to boot in the correct mode on all devices. Kinda like forcing the phone-scale :)

Thanks for the advice! This should be done by the end of the day.

7. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    1.3 submitted.

Problem solved.
    1.3 submitted, featuring the iPad support you would expect.
    It even runs on iPad2. ( slow, but playable )
    Runs like a dream on the iPad Mini 3.
    Yeah!
    Now it's back to the waiting game! :D

If you were to play current version on an older iPad, 1.3 will be out before you reach a new screen. Promise. ;D

8. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #108 Gwarmaxx, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Bob, i've installed the last update (from today), and the game worked fine until i've used the re enter option, now returned to the very first stage the captain sprite is gone, and there's nothing i can do, i've tried several times but nothing changes.

can you fix it?
    i don't wanna start a new game again, please.

9. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    Hello again, (since you mailed me as well :)
    I do like that your savegame wasn't deleted at least! :)

First and foremost, sorry for your problem. Savefile is huge with the entire world and it seem to mess up on a few deviceconfigurations when the memory hit the roof. I'm trying to reproduce errors like this on my devices but still haven't been able too, but I won't give up! (Need to reproduce them to be able tonsolve them)

Then we have the usual procedure.
    Quit the app and restart it. Which will give you the startscreen with the snorkhog and CONTINUE button.
    If that doesn't help,
    BOMB yourself and RE-ENTER again.
    And a question... Do you have a snorkhog?

Hope anything like that helps. I will try to reproduce said error on my end.

That said,
    1.3 is out now with full iPad support!
    (Not just iPad Air 2).

10. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    Haha! .
    Bug found

DO NOT, blow yourself up while riding the bus, then press re-enter. It puts the cowboy in the commuting twilight zone and he wont be able to snap out of it unless you send me your savegames. It will be fixed in 1.4 of course. But I will hold on to it and see if I can polish a few more corners first.

Other than that, I've gotten quite a few mentions in the local swedish press lately :)
    The revenue for the sold games has started to pop up so we're turning it into a marketing budget, so don't be surprised if you see Captain Cowboy or Xnutzi && Xnutzi popping up in ads in the near future!

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

GREAT news Bob!!!

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe you could submit v1.35 quickfix for that and then work more relaxed on v1.4? I'm talking without knowing if there is an Apple limit to submitting updates and things like that, just thinking out loud ;)

13. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    Well, first I need to make sure that the quickfix doesn't mess something else up :)
    Will probably block the bombbutton completely when you ride the bus as well, (even if that bug is solved, there is no reason to ever blow up while riding a bus) . (Unless you're in Speed) . ( I'll save that twist for the sequel, Captain Cowboy 2 : Cruise Control )

Also, I learned something new about version numbers. 1.4 is lower than 1.35. I kinda see the logic but it feels odd.

And today my first try at marketing will go live so .. Well let's see if someone will notice it!

14. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    Captain Cowboy 2!!!

yeah, what a great news Bob!

15. Bob Nimbe

Bob Nimbe Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Vislanda, Sweden
    Oh, that was just a joke to the expense of Speed 2: Cruise Control ;D sorry.
    But there will surely be a sequel of some sort in the future. With a little different setting and some new mechanics.

16. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    How about a series of sequels with Cowboy continually finding himself in the exact same situation with different bad guys behind the events of each one. You can use a skyscraper an airport and maybe a whole city.

Seriously though, if there is a sequel I hope the guys from the ad show up. Maybe they pick up Cowboy from the asteroid belt and they all go on some adventure.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Okay, my bad. I was thinking of 1.40 ;)

18. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I see you little advert there Mr. Bob. Good job.

19. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Definitely noticed it! Good decision:)

20. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes! An article at last :)