Universal Capitals - Free Word Battle (by Nimblebit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eeenmachine, May 15, 2015.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Smart move decreasing the price for customization. Feels much more convenient. It's a first step and I believe it'll be appreciated by the community. I don't know what are the reasons behind this decision, but I'm glad it happened. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, at least while I'm on a winning streak. Hence, bought!

I have a question though. To unlock specific achievement for multiple wins in a row, it counts for unique opponents only, right? I currently accomplished "Lucky Streak" for winning 4 games in a row even though I should have "Rolling Thunder" for winning 8 already. I'm usually tapping "rematch" and playing with the same opponents along with adding new ones. So just to clarify things and for the future reference, how does it works exactly. Thanks in advance.

2. gonzo1711

gonzo1711 New Member

May 22, 2015
    You were right!! I changed my Game Center nickname to one without characters and everything is working fine! Thank you so much! Now if you will excuse me, I have some capitals to overrun!!

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #103 turakm, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Bought the customization! Appreciate the price drop. Loving this game
    Gotta rock the black TA base

4. NFCT

NFCT Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Chernobyl
    Having a great time with this game since launch.

Perfect amount of simplicity and a gradual depth of strategy as you continue to play.

Pro tip that might help others: is to select the letters that either give you the most tiles or takes the most tiles, then try to descramble those.
    Seems to help because visualy your starring at a line of letters instead of a hex grid filled with them.

Accepting all challengers GC: NFCT

5. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I have to admit I had a laugh when you whipped me with "beaten"! Nicely done!

Pedroapan

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Possible bug report: I beat a friend in a game and he set up two challenges to me, but I was out of lives. On the screen showing your various matches, I see two entries from my friend stating he has invited me to play. When I go into each of these games, it told me I was out of lives. I waited for a life to recharge but it still won't let me do anything with those games. I had to challenge my friend instead. Is this a bug and how can I dump these two "locked" entries?

7. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't heard of that big before. You can swipe the games in the list to forfeit them.

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I had something similar when I entered a game before the countdown finished, but I just went out and in again and it was fine.

I have had problems with the 'Win 8 in a row' achievement. I've won about 18 in a row now and it still hasn't unlocked.

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Can other people see my customization? I have yet to see anyone with anything but the generic bases

10. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Yep! I see anotherkellydown's golden triforce when we play.

11. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Awesome! Good to know

12. Trentos

Trentos Active Member

May 19, 2012
    Draftsperson
    Melbourne, Australia
    Some players have struck server communication errors that insta-forfeit their game. I've experienced this too and have noted lives spent on the failed game are also lost. Force quitting the game does not fix the situation. The few times it happened to me, it occurred on the first turn.

13. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    There were some issues earlier tonight with one of the caching servers running out of memory causing some errors to be thrown but that has been fixed and shouldn't happen again. Any problems should have be contained to only about 5 or 10 minutes. However this shouldn't have forfeited any games but rather caused the turn to just not register, you should be able to play the turn again and it will work.

Did the games move to the completed games section or did they never actually get created? I am thinking there might have been a chance that the game were never actually created but it took away a life.

14. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeah I experienced this server issues. Whilst you are online can I make some suggestions?

- Time limits. I don't know if you wanted it to be a game where people could play a round every once in a while but I found it incredibly irritating waiting for someone to play a turn. Without the time limits people will most likely go off and gold for words they can come up with and as a result cheat which will break the game. Maybe even create a separate mode that has a time limit?
    - Reward people who invite others to the game and reward them further when the users they invited have downloaded it.
    - Reward for winning games. At the moment it feels like I win YAY but that is about it. I don't get a life or anything and bragging rights against a random opponent means nothing. Maybe gain a life for winning a game and lose it for not winning?
    - In game chat. So I can brag to my opponent :p

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Even after you posted this I didn't find the History page. Finally found it. I've been feeling frustrated that I can only see the last move until now!

16. Testopi

Testopi Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I'm still in GRIEVE about BOOZIEST.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I can confirm I can see other customizations. Hope others can see mine as well. The only difference is the color, so if someone has the same base color as you, it's changed even though I'm not sure on which side.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So did anyone unlocked the Rolling Thunder achievement for winning 8 times in a row or is this particular one just bugged for some reason?

Also I agree with some timers in-game. Not for each turn, it sounds unnecessary, but some time limit to make a move or the game ends with winnings going to the person with last turn. I've got a few games just hanging there and no one's making their move. I don't wanna forfeit the game. Why not to set the limit to, let's say, 24 hours? Or 48 just in case. After such long inactivity the game will end. Is it a bad idea?

19. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Reading that also made me think of something else. The player starting has a HUGE advantage and not once throughout the game is there anything to handicap it.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Are you sure? Because it's the first move in 3nd round when the connection between both sides is usually made for the first time. So right after that the opponent has actually the advantage on his side to attack and I won a few games in 3rd round just because of that. If there's just one letter next to opponent's capital open, it's basicly over. I wouldn't say the starting player has any advantage. On the contrary.