Universal Capitals - Free Word Battle (by Nimblebit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eeenmachine, May 15, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#41 Anotherkellydown, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    I had to watch the tutorial a couple times to understand it. Takes a little practice. You were making some nice words man!

Just the one I played with you! :p That had to have taken at least an hour! Haha

2. LBC03

LBC03 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Teacher
    18 rounds but I was doing other stuff too and not always answering right away. :)

3. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Played games in beta that got into 80+ rounds and took days even weeks depending on how often the other person played.

4. peon2000

peon2000 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Great game devs, I've been really enjoying it!

I bought the increase to five lives iap, and started a few games last night, but the lives have only gone back up to 3 with no timer for adding the extra 4th and 5th lives back.
    Is it not a permanent increase?

5. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    This game isn't bad, but needs a little more interactivity between players such as preset responses etc. Also needs some way to disqualify a player if they don't respond after certain amount of hours.

6. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    #46 eeenmachine, May 21, 2015
    It should, sound like there might be a bug. We're looking into it as quick as we can.

Edit: Does it show the 5 lives cap as being owned in the shop?

7. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    #47 andysmash, May 21, 2015
    Responses would be cool. Following the Hearthstone model, right? It'd be nice to be able to say "good move" or "YOU JERK!!!!!!!!!!" every now and then.

This game is so good.

Update: Or a "I don't CARE what the dictionary says, that is NOT a real word and you don't deserve that win" emote.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    This is a fantastic game. I really like the clean style of the interface and the graphics, and the game play is brilliant.

I am sure the developers spent a lot of time determining how best to monetize this, but the IAPs seem pricey to me given how complete the game is without purchasing any of them. I am not complaining, mind you.

9. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    This game is fantastic!

10. peon2000

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, it shows as owned and I did get five lives after the initial purchase, but once I started using them it only refills to 3and stops.

11. NimbleDave

NimbleDave Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Co-Owner, NimbleBit
    San Diego, CA
    If you restore purchases in the shop does it bump you back up to 5 lives, at least temporarily?

12. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Great word game, especially like the long, long list of simple but clean customization options. Thanks!

Rpgmind is my gc, good to go!

13. peon2000

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, it did.
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

14. NimbleDave

Apr 6, 2015
    Co-Owner, NimbleBit
    San Diego, CA
    Let us know if it keeps the cap at 5 or if it goes back to 3.

15. peon2000

Oct 19, 2011
    It does have a countdown timer at four now.

16. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    No offense but 25€ asking price for infinite lives is ridiculous. There's another 5€ IAP to unlock the possibility of customization. I paid 25€ just twice, in both cases for Human Anatomy apps, and I'm pretty confident to say this game is not gonna be my 3rd purchase of such amount. Just saying...

On the other hand, I'm having enough fun to be still interested in playing. I understand my disadvantage as ESL speaker. I won a few games so far, but I'm still losing to better opponents in most cases. I know that practice makes perfect, it's just a pity the game is so heavily limited with small amount of lives. I'd like to play more games simultaneously, but even if I'd consider different IAP, those 5 lives doesn't seem enough. Anyway, I'll keep playing for now with a lot of hope the developer will reconsider the decision about unlimited lives' price to more acceptable value. Let's be realistic, shall we?;)

17. NimbleDave

Apr 6, 2015
    Co-Owner, NimbleBit
    San Diego, CA
    It might seem egregious at first glance, but it's really not necessary to get infinite lives to play the game. I'm pretty sure you will find that once you get more into the game you can have 10-30 games going at once without hitting your lives cap very often.

18. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So to clarify things, when exactly am I losing life? By creating a new game automatically? When I lose the match only? What happens after that when I continue to another game with the same opponent? I didn't have an urge to research this any deeper so far. I'm playing 3 simultaneous games at the moment, so it'd fine to know how it's supposed to work exactly. Btw, I really appreciate the achievements, already accomplished Wordsmith, Word Weaver and Word Magician. Brings some sort of satisfaction to my attempts;)

19. horizoniki

horizoniki Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    #59 horizoniki, May 21, 2015
    What a game..

Never played/liked these kinds of games but Capitals took over my daily life immediately. This game is brilliant in its simplicity.
    You can even be creative about it. I love landing "final blows" with fun words, sorta feels like a bad ass fatality (finished off some dude with a word "wrecked", trust me it's more satisfying than one can imagine).

5/5 would wreck again.

Come and fight me fellow TA buddies my id is: horizoniki

20. NimbleDave

Apr 6, 2015
    Co-Owner, NimbleBit
    San Diego, CA
    You only lose a life when starting a new game (either one you start or one you were invited to play). Every hour you get a life back. So in essence you can start 3 games right away, and then a new game every hour after that - with no limit to the number of games you can have going at once.