Universal Capitalism Quest (by Steve O'Gorman)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Just realized that :)

2. gormster

gormster Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Hope you didn't respawn too far away!

3. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I did and then I went the wrong way on the y axis, though I should have known better

4. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Buckle in buddy, you're getting a mansion

5. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Lol thanks man

6. Odach

Odach Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Am I missing something about this game, or did I just get screwed? I feel like I started in the middle of nowhere... Every screen is mostly water... And lots of desert and mountains. And when I finally find a tiny patch off grass our trees, I have only enough money to build a single lumber tile.... So now I have 5 lumber.. Am I just supposed to walk around for 10 minutes in water in order to get enough gold to build a market? And then? Rinse repeat for a few hours? I must be missing something, because that doesn't seem fun at all...

7. Tycatz

Tycatz New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I haven't seen anything like this in the game, I think you just spawned in a bad place.

8. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Find a place with lots of land and just a bit of water in a line. Use your wood to build bridges in a line for faster movement so you can get gold faster. It's a bit of a slow start but as you build more you'll grow faster. It's all about exponential growth.

EDIT: To get out of the water areas try to move in a single general direction, and while slow, you will reach land.

9. gormster

gormster Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Anyone up for starting a TA community project?

I feel like everyone is staying confined to their own small settlements, so how about we build a pair of highway roads to make the map easier to traverse?

I was thinking of a road from (0, 250) to (499, 250), and a road from (250, 0) to (250, 499). As straight as possible, except for when you have to build around something.

10. bazola

bazola Active Member

Mar 8, 2013
    gormster, I am assuming you are the developer for the game? Can you talk about how you used Game Center to make it and how Game Center is used to handle logging into the game? Is there another server where you are actually storing the game world, or is everything done through Game Center somehow?

Great game by the way!

11. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I like this idea

12. chnaww

chnaww Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Good idea, it s a big hassle to moove from anywhere on the map.

I started to connect big town i ve walked through with bridge mostly, road is quite expensive for the moment. I have found qquiddy and yerti so far.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Did you spawn around x:198 y:57? Lots of water around there. You need to walk around to afford your first mill anyway - head off in a direction and find a spot with less water.

I'd help with that! :)

14. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Sounds good! I have already created a pretty large settlement so feel free to make some roads off of it :)

15. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I've created a pretty large road on the x/250y axis. It's around 40 tiles from 0x/250y but I've also gone a long ways to the right as well. I'm pretty broke and need to wait for more resources now though lol.

16. Cravz

Cravz Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Game Impressions

Hello all, just joining the discussion.

I've been playing and enjoying it. Simple to play with interesting meaning behind the game.

I think the mechanics and balance are good.

Here is where I struggle the most:
    - can't tell when I've gathered resources. Hard to tell if I skipped a resource, and often tap the same resource several times because unsure if I collected from it.
    - I've built resources as the lower level and imagine that I will want to upgrade those same resources to the higher level in the future - but don't see that function.
    - Can't delete things (resources, roads, etc)
    - I get lost in the map, hopefully a "jump to home" button will be added.
    - Gathering resources takes a long time, perhaps a "collect all" button?

Some of my suggestions may go against the dev's intent/goals, so no problem - as long as there is intent and purpose to the current mechanics.

Minor glitch: sometimes resources that have not been harvested in hours say "no resources now" when try to harvest, but if I relaunch the app then the expected resources are there.

17. gamer300

gamer300 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Europe
    I already contributed to this large road (unknowingly at first) on x250. I don't remember the Y coördinates tho.

18. Cravz

Cravz Member

Feb 13, 2015
    #58 Cravz, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Game Impressions

Here is some info that may be helpful to new players, feel free to correct or add-on.

If you start in an area mostly surrounded by water, then keep traveling, there are areas that are mostly land. The mostly land areas are better bc you can move faster and access resources faster.

You move fastest on roads and bridges. Fast on grass. Slower on resource icons. Slowest in water.

Try not to get lost. There is no way to jump to another spot on the map. Your best prevention method is to go to your "home area", tap your screen so you can see the map coordinates in the upper right, then take a screen shot or write that down coordinate. If you get lost in your map just use those coordinates to get home again.

You make money initially by moving your person. You can later make money by selling stuff in the market, or by selling houses. Toll bridges may make money, unsure bc I have not built one.

The max money you can have at once from moving is 50, and then you must spend it to make more money by moving. To get more than 50 in your "bank" then I think you need to do the other money making methods listed above (I'm not sure bc I've not gotten over 50 for wealth).

Low level resources generate resources at 1 per hour. I'm not sure of max accumulation prior to gathering yet, my highest is 12 resources from one icon after 12 hours. High level resources may generate more per hour, don't know yet.

Low level houses accrue 1 gold per hour. The do not have any other use besides that (as far as I know). They are basically just a long term investment. Higher level houses probably accrue more gold per hour.

You can not take over or delete someone else's property. Property not yours will be highlighted in red when you tap the screen. I think you can see everything of someone else's (houses, market, etc) except their person icon.

Leaderboards (on Gamecenter) are sorta confusing. Charity is highest if you build forests without building a lot of other resources, charity is lowest if you build a lot resources. Fame is Charity score subtracted from Wealth score, it sorta means you have balanced money making with tree building.

There is lots more to know, others are free to add-on.

19. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    So far I've managed to complete X0:Y250 to X231:Y250

It's taken a ton of resources but I've seen signs of life from different people all over the place as I've gone.

20. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I've done x300:y250 to x400:y250. We're almost there!