Can't Say That! - Multiplayer Asynch Word Game - Launching July 18th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RussianWorm, Jul 10, 2012.

1. RussianWorm

RussianWorm Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Biz-Dev, Marketing, SFX, Sound Design, Front End W
    Seattle
    Hello TA Community,

Our company, Fugazo, Inc., has created an excellent mobile interpretation of the popular board game 'Taboo' where you will work with your friends coming up with creative clues (without using certain words) and solving fun word puzzles.

We feel this is a game you guys will have a lot of fun with but it's been strictly in-house up to this point so you're some of the first outsiders to see this game in action and we want to know what you think at first glance.

We're a small, indy studio based out of Seattle and would appreciate your support and feedback!

Check out our short promo video:

We also have a few questions for the community:

1. What do you think of the game we've developed? Does it look interesting and fun? Would you play it with your friends?

2. We went out on a limb and decided to require a Facebook login to play this game. Our reasoning is that it is meant to be played with friends and Facebook integration will make that so much easier for our users. We also clearly state that we will not spam users or post anything without their permission.

What are your thoughts? Like it? Hate it? Let us know.

3. Any suggestions for improvement of the app or questions about the full range of features? I'm happy to answer :)

Promo Codes will be coming soon to the promo code section so keep an eye out to get a chance to play this game before it launches!

2. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I absolutely would play this game. I love Taboo. But I'm a little hesitant about requiring Facebook integration. Does this mean that you can only play with your Facebook friends? Furthermore, assuming that there is a "Play random opponent" option, will your opponent be able to see your full name?

I prefer not to be limited to playing with my Facebook friends.

3. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    Great questions Platyrrhine and we're excited to hear this game sounds fun to you.

But I'm a little hesitant about requiring Facebook integration. Does this mean that you can only play with your Facebook friends?

No, you will be able to create random games as well and find people by searching for their Facebook email.

Furthermore, assuming that there is a "Play random opponent" option, will your opponent be able to see your full name?

No, we have it set to only show initials after the first name:
    John Smith ---> John S.
    John Thomas Smith ---> John T. S.
    So no worries about having to show your name to anyone.

Any other questions about our required Facebook login or any questions/thoughts in general?

4. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    In that case, all is well :) 8 more days!

5. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    What a great concept!! Looking forward to it!!!

6. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    Platyrrhine: Yes, a week more for everyone else, but for taking the time to provide some feedback, you can get it today.

Just send me a PM and I'll get the promo code back to you :).

JCman7: Thanks for your kind words and support!

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Love the idea behind this game, but hate the requirement to log in to Facebook. The people I'd want to play this with/against the most don't have Facebook accounts, but either do use Game Center or would be in the same room and be able to play machine to machine via bluetooth or similar.

8. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    dclose: Interesting, thank you for the feedback.

We do not have plans to integrate Game Center or add device to device connection without an account, however if this turns out to be a huge issue that affects a lot of people, we will certainly work to integrate an email login functionality to give non-facebook users a way in.

The problem with creating an account via email versus Facebook is that it is more difficult to create games with friends (you need their email to add them versus clicking their picture on the Facebook list) but if it's in demand we're happy to add it.

9. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    As long as you can play a random person I'm happy but I agree having to log into Facebook might hurt the reviews for the game. Personally I'm fine with it but others might not be.

10. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    Yes, we knew it would be very important to have the random game option.

We realize we are taking a bit of a risk but hope that it will pay off in making the game more enjoyable and less hassle for our users giving them the easiest method possible for playing with friends.

Oh and enjoy the code you just won :).

11. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Thanks! And I hope it works out for you!!

12. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    If this is in beta testing I'd be happy to test it!? I love the concept.. I think it could be the new words with friends for sure! I was addicted to that game, like everyone else, then it gets dull, then there was draw something, which is now also dull, now I've been playing song pop lately but it's also starting to get boring.. I'd happily play the crap out of this! And I hope it will give more longitivity then the others.. I think the others got boring because of repetivness.. There's not much variety in scrabble, same with dictionary, you can only draw an apple so many times before it stays entertaining. I think the trivia side of things will get things fresh long as there are plenty of words so there's not too much repeating..really looking forward to playing it when it hits - and I agree that random players are very important - none of my friends ever play these sorts of games - or any games for that matter - a few played song pop but they refuse to play anything that makes them use their brains. Hopefully you'll add a Facebook community page where users can add each other.
    Will this be a freemium build like most other competiting titles? Im currently playing the freemium smarter than a 5th grader game, and it's setup is pretty good.. Gives you a daily taste each day, gets you addicted and makes you want more, but still allows free use for those friends who don't want to pay money so they get lots of users signing up.. I think it's a great setup but I also like to pay outright and have everything unlocked instantly. I bought the Song pop full version cause I dislike restrictions!

13. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    Thanks for the detailed response Snozberry! We are actually giving away promo codes over here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=144248

There's still plenty of opportunity to win one!

We appreciate your kind words and also feel like this could definitely be the next big asynchronous game and we agree that our game actually has more longevity since there's the human creativity/inside reference element. Example: in Draw Something people get the word 'Apple' and 95% of people aren't good enough at touch drawing to really do much else than draw a basic Apple and it gets boring.

In our game the word Apple could be described in a variety of different ways easily by most the players and repetition isn't as big of a deal since to your science friend you might say 'This fell on Newton's head' but to your health-nut friend you might say 'You eat this every morning' or to your teacher friend you might say 'Students give these to teachers'. There are all sorts of references that are much easier to explain in words than drawing which naturally provides more variety and makes words more interesting.

That being said, we will launch with thousands of words available and be adding hundreds more every month and have word packs available for purchase with in-app currency too so we'll be making a strong effort to keep words from repeating.

Yes, we have do have a Facebook page where our fans can connect. Please see my signature.

And yes, it will be freemium. The free version is the full game except that it has ads so everyone can get the full experience of Can't Say That! without having to spend any money.

14. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    Only a few pre-release promo codes left and launch is in 2 days! Win them here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=144248

Please also check out the recent reviews from other TA members:

15. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Just picked this up In the NZ AppStore,
    While the gameplay is extremely addictive Im not too sure it was ready for release...

No sound. And every now and then a button might click and then it goes laggy and keeps clickinggggggggggggggggggg until I turn the sound off.

If I use a hint or a letter hint, and exit the round and come back later, the hints aren't saved and I have to pay for the letter hints again.

Non retina graphics, iPhone version only (stretched out on iPad screen, wrong resolution)

None bagging on the gameplay cause it's really fun...but it just doesn't feel very professional. Even if it's a small indie dev ....I still would have held off a few weeks to release it because first impressions are lasting.

It's a shame cause it's so fun..... But I'm worried the lack of polish may have costed it it's spot on the apple featured list

16. RussianWorm

Jul 20, 2011
    Seattle
    The app officially launched for iPhone today! (See sig for details)

Tannorexic: Thanks for the feedback. The reason you are having so many problems is because you are playing the app on an iPad. It has only been released for iPhone and iPod Touch currently. We aren't seeing any of these problems from our iPhone users at the moment.

iPad support however is coming in the next update which should be live within a week (depending on Apple).

As for the hints not saving, that was intentional to keep people from using all the hints to figure out the word, exiting, coming back in with all their hints back and solving it based off their previous use of hints.

So yes, if you use hints you need to complete the session then or else they will be erased. We do have very short session lengths though so hopefully this wont be a huge problem.

Please try our app on iPhone it is very polished :). Or wait for the actual iPad version.

17. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Glad you added email support, I did warn you only having FB would result in some low reviews...which is a shame cause the game is excellent. Now that it is solved let the 5 star reviews pour in!

18. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Why did the cost of hints go up? Big turn off for me...but I understand.