iPad Candy Crush Saga ®

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GBearUK

GBearUK New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    It just sucks you in though - I was berating the missus for ages watching her play this, then I decided one day I'd start myself to show her how its done, now I'm hooked (I won't pay a penny though!).

Must admit, I do feel a bit dirty about it :(

2. Shyft

Shyft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Lol all the hate here makes me laugh. I'm on something like level 175 and I haven't had to make any in app purchases...
    Some levels actually do require strategy. And also if a game board at the start has a terrible setup, just restart it without making moves and you don't lose a life.
    Also I hear you can just set your clock ahead when you are out of lives to gain them all back. I've never had to do this, but if it still works it might be helpful to you.

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    This is an excellent game but how do they make money? The stars come back quite quickly so if you play it casually like I do there's absolutely no need to pay money. I'm at level 42. Haven't used my power ups yet and they're generous allowing you to collect them free daily.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    How?

Because a lot of silly people and kiddies pay for iap as they are too lazy to wait and are happy to pay £1-3-5-10 to keep playing.

Incredibly these are usually the same people who whine about paying more than 69p for an ios game. :rolleyes:

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #25 Royce, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    They actually make something like 100 times that much per day I believe.

Buh, buh, buh! Another one bites the dust! FYI 42 is barely past the first gate and the switch from skill game to money game.

No it's not really the same people. Those are cheap kids you're talking about. CCS exploits mostly susceptible adults since they have the most money, though I'm sure kids contribute as well. There are a ton of articles and testimonials about the coercive and unethical monetization practices in CCS. All you have to do is google it. To get familiarized with the lingo you'll come across when reading about CCS's monetization, it might be helpful to read this before googling other articles:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/

6. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I initially played it and got bored but on the advice of TA review here I gave it another go and enjoy it as a 10 minute game. I just play until I'm down to 2 stars then come back the next day. Never bought stars and to me buying boosters would kill my enjoyment because my only interest is winning without cheating.

Cheating or buying boosts would kill the fun factor for me.

I still don't get why pay for anything. When I run out of lives I just come back another time if I remember.

7. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I don't even remember level 33. I do get stuck on some levels but eventually win. I couldn't buy a win as it'd take the fun of the challenge away.

8. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I think the IAP targets people who play to win as opposed to those who play just for the fun and challenge. I'm prepared to replay a game 100 times to beat it because I enjoy the challenge. But my fun actually comes from just playing not winning. I don't care if I don't win immediately or in 50 games.

But I think the most I've replayed a level would be about 15 times. I can't see how purchasing IAP makes this game any more fun. Its fun just to play.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I've dropped over $100 on this game, love it.

10. Wow.

My friends too love this game. #1 played game.

11. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm a guy and I really enjoy the game and the graphics. Currently on level 191. I remember playing this game when it first came out. I was looking for a free match 3 game on Facebook that had level progression similar to those Big Fish puzzle games on PC. Stumbled onto Candy Crush and been hooked ever since.

I really enjoy colorful graphics for puzzle games. I hate it when they use washed out colors in the cheaper games. I really appreciate Candy Crush Saga's bright and vibrant color schemes. Especially the reds! (My favorite color ^_^)

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    The IAP aspect doesn't bother me. I just ignore, and in the words of another member, come back to play another day. What does bother me is that King has supposedly trademarked the word "Candy" as it applies to titles of other apps. If this is true, I will probably delete it as much as I am now hooked, because I don't believe in trademarking words. It's why I don't donate to Komen foundation, among other reasons (they have taken ownership of the word "pink"). This was an article I read on Gamezebo. Im not sure if Im allowed to put a link to the article on here, but that's where I read it.

13. Scar_lett

Scar_lett New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I think that it's a classic type of game. You need to ask for help from their Facebook friends in the form of requesting lives. And then game increase the number of players.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When pigs fly... :eek:

Also, here's a bit where King.com (aka Candy Crush Saga developer) is suing a new desktop tactical role playing game called The Banner Saga over the use of the term "Saga" common to both games (and many other King.com products like Papa Pear Saga, etc).
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755651

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #35 Vovin, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Oh yeah, guys. Go and install King games. Don't you know about King.com's browser hijacking antics on various cell phones? I hope those basterds get their butts kicked by major companies soon.

16. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Not sure how this stuff works but how could company trademark "candy" name. I get if it was some weird word that only they used but this is commonly used.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Only as pertaining to video games and clothing

18. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    This, so much this. I hope they go scorched earth on them. :mad:

19. Meslomeslo

Meslomeslo Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Me too, this and pocket frogs are my favorite games!

20. rewind

rewind Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm very occupied
    I really don't know
    King will lose if they can't prove that The Banner Saga is doing anything wrong or similar in any way. Yet somehow they made a case for patenting 'Candy' so I'm not sure what they're got up their sleeves.