Universal Candleman (By Spotlightor Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Mar 26, 2018.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Have a feeling it’s if the game sells well, it may be free. If not, probably paid.

Just my educated guess.

2. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    So far, I have not seen any critics review this on iOS, it also has not been featured on the AppStore either. So, not sure.

3. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Oh, thank you. The account(@CMGE_Indie) I contacted was what was introduced in the App Store. The person in charge of the account I contacted seems to have not yet confirmed. :)

4. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Probably means unless the game sells extremely well, the other chapters will cost extra.

Probably really means, we’re talking gibberish to obfuscate the fact, that we’ll charge for the remainder of the game anyway.

Still like what I played so far but hope they’re serious about including mfi support soon. The touch controls are a nightmare (swipes often register as touches, left stick direction a lot of time doesn’t work as intended ... Especially annoying for a game where precision landing is pretty important)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think that’s pretty standard really. Why would a dev update a game if it didn’t sell well in the first place. Too many people seem to think a $3 dollar app should be updated forever or get upset when they may have to pay a dollar for new content 6 months later.

The poor devs need to make money !

6. MrBreitling

MrBreitling Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 31, 2015
    Male
    #46 MrBreitling, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Personally I think, and I do not intend to piss people off here, but it is too much whining about 1,2,3 or 4 USD back or forth. If a game is good, 1-5 USD is nothing that matters. Even with additional cost later on for updates. How many here in this forum work for free? Do you go to work next week and do additional work free of charge? I come from the PC world with price tags up to 50-60 USD... and MANY games here on iPad acutally have longer lifespan. I have played Hill Climb Racing 2 more than 100 hours, and it is Free to Play...
    But then again I am 44 and have grown up with actually paying for stuff....

7. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I agree with you somewhat. We sometimes forget important things. Thanks for reminding it.

8. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

We Hope

I woke up to a Twitter reply which, basically, says the same thing someone mentioned earlier.

I don't really like uncertainty (I think nobody does) and that's what I didn't like in the first place; the fact of it possibly being priced higher without being clear about it from the beginning doesn't help much, either. It's not the cost but how it will cost.

By the time I got their reply, I had already received a refund and spent it on something else. So I'll just wait until the remaining stuff's fate is clarified and, once it's out, I'll see what I decide.

Attached Files:

9. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #49 skoptic, Mar 29, 2018
    I don’t like uncertainty, but there’s a scale associated with that. The scale of potential extra cost or potential impact to not get the full story features pretty damn low on the risk scale (for me, I hasten to add).

One thing is for sure, no-one backing devs going premium (even as stupid low prices like £3) or supporting someone brining creativity to the platform is sure as..... going to hasten the ftp-microtransaction-blahfest we’ve seen descending.

But, as was eloquently mentioned above, i’m over 40, have disposable £3 and and pretty used to paying for stuff :) My young kids will likely sniff at and leave a sandwich that costs more than this game tomorrow - so I’m def in the ‘lets look at the positives here’ camp :)

10. Someon

Someon Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    #50 Someon, Mar 29, 2018
    This ( 6 chapter) ends the way it could be standalone.
    So even if tomorrow won’t come( in case of this game/next chapters it sure will come) it still is great as it is, and kind of complete.
    I vaguely remember this feeling, I occassionally had playing this game ..it was so long ago. Great experience.
    Someone, somewhere compared... it is just like watching best pixer or gibli movie. Everything is in right place, and it is full of „magic”
    Don’t sleep on this one.

11. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Based on this ambiguity, the only confirmation anyone needs at this point is to wait until the full game releases instead of buying half of it now.

There’s also the unlikely, but possible, chance that the second half NEVER releases. Then you’re stuck with just half the game.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think thats one of the key issues ! As a kid in the 80's games were £7.95 (there were cheaper ones) to play on my ZX Spectrum. The 1.99 cheap games were a gamble !! I was used to saving up and paying for these games.

When i got into iOS i was stunned how cheap the games were. But the attitude from some gamers is embarassing, moaning if they have to pay a few dollars more for updates or waiting for a price drop when a games just 2 dollars! Then they moan when games are freemium ! They're one of the main causes why freemium is around ! They wont pay for games ! They want everything for free - updates forever, price drops etc !

I'm taking my time with this game, really love the look of it, enjoying the levels and looking forward to future content (paid or not)

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    In Chapter 3 "The Course of Fate/ The rudder failed to stop his quest", I'm able to reach the ending where CM heads towards the still fan. However, after the clip ends the level, I'm informed that the level wasn't completed and lose a life. I checked online to see what walkthroughs reveal and I finished the level correctly, but am prevented from doing so. Anyone else experience this bug? (I'm using an iPhone 8 with the latest iOS under the hood).

14. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    I haven’t experienced that, are you sure that you are doing it correctly?

15. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Yes. I lit all the candles and made my way out as confirmed by Walkthroughs on YouTube

16. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    More content is out, and it’s free
    Also, game is on sale for $2.99 for anyone who is interested in checking this out :)

ColeDaddy likes this.
  17. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the heads up! I finished the previous chapters and will download the new content!

Maslan266 likes this.
  18. Maslan266

Oct 14, 2017
    No problem! I really like the new levels so far. Good stuff

19. josumart

josumart Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Have they added the mfi support?

20. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    With this added chapter update, a temporary discount will be held until August 7th.
    If you are interested, take this chance. ;)