Universal Candies 'n Curses (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Oct 24, 2018.

1. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #21 verlaine, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    A few more suggestions:
    1) Maybe have an in-game guide or web-page that explains mechanics and functions like pets, curses, soul hearts, etc..

2) As I tend to lose interest in ‘freemium’ games that aren’t updated with new content every few months, I wonder if it would be a good idea to have limited-time seasonal events, special bosses, etc. that reward players with new weapons, pets and/or charms after completing certain stages or objectives. Maybe the story could eventually be extended with new scenarios and post-game content.

3) I agree with another poster—an alternative control scheme would be good, because the swipe mechanics aren’t always precise.

4) Given the sometimes awkward and unresponsive swipe controls on top of randomly respawning enemies in cluttered stages, it’s a pain to replay rooms in the same order to get to a particular level—especially when you unavoidably take hits and die even after figuring out certain patterns. This could eventually make the gaming experience repetitive and frustrating. Maybe have a charm or special item or certain days in the week that allow some levels to be played in a different order?

2. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    @JoshCM When you level up Gorgers lamp to 3 stars it produces 4 electric balls that immediately hit you when they activate. This makes using this flashlight useless because you will die. Maybe they can be adjusted to spawn further away from your body?

3. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Has anybody figured out Jack's 'tells' or pattern/s when he tries to impale you with thorny bushes that launch horizontally across the screen? I can't move out of the way fast enough once the bushes are launched, and I don't know when I should move to a different level or stand on the same one as Jack. I beat Jack once--but it was only a fluke because I had many hearts left.

4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    nope. As far as i can see, he does the same animation for both types of attacks. I reached him 4 times, lost to him all of them, even having purchased extra revive charm + ad revive.

The last two times i was specifically taking hits to watch his animation tells. It is exactly the same for both attacks and therefore poorly designed as far as i can see.

verlaine likes this.
  5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've only reached as far as the poison stage but can't reach the boss. The spider spawns and the ghosts shooting across the room are too much for me. I don't use revives however. I already think boss number 2 is extremely hard..

----

I found a bug. I upgraded my fire lamp to level 3 and it did not give me the 3rd charm slot like it's supposed to. It's stuck at 2 charm slots.

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    The posion stage becomes the easiest if you buy a lamp, stick to the second from the top row and go towards the spiders coming on your row. Your combo meter will go so crazy you will be getting more hearts than the ones you are losing from poison.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll give that a shot! I actually liked the ball lamp a lot but it was difficult to fight the fire boss with since that boss required so much precision.

Also found another bug. I tried to play on another device (obviously there's no cloud save) and the restore purchases button did not work at all. Bummer. I don't want to have to buy the sale pack twice.

8. cr4zy4zn

cr4zy4zn New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Oh yee!

Attached Files:

Smrk likes this.
  9. Quote

Quote New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Male
    #29 Quote, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Hey there, I just finished up on the game. Is there anything to do with Peppermint of Souls currently? I've taken it to the end with me but there was no difference.
    A few bugs as well:
    The sound slowly cuts out on an Android S9+ after 20~ minutes of gameplay starting with shorter soundclips (like Jack's laugh annoyingly enough) until it becomes completely mute.
    While I cannot replicate the conditions by memory, during a certain run a vast majority souls and ectoplasm dropped by ghosts and all hearts spawned by the meter would appear pitch black.
    I did not unlock the charm for purchase at Level 11 and have long since passed it, I have yet to receive it and can only wonder what I'm missing out on.
    My first time escaping didn't award me with the Peppermint of Souls, but that may be because I interrupted the app during the outro for a moment. I received it the second time.
    Re-rolling one of the daily challenges for 'free' if you've refreshed them caused me to spend Souls despite it all.

Fantastic game though, definitely would be worth a premium. On the surface I may have been urged to buy this straightaway for $3-6 just looking at its store page, its lovely aesthetic, and how it reeks of quality, but I appreciate that it was free. It was very gripping for the past few days and I loved the music especially the Undead Library.
    I've personally never played a game with this kind of control scheme or movement, but after getting used to it, it sinks in just how incredibly well built the game is around this movement especially considering the pace it plays at.

I love the game thoroughly, and it was an excellent challenge as I built up the carry-over resources. If you would care to have my input on my experiences:
    The Dinette of Doom is by far the hardest stage due to how long the bottom floor that Toxicmancers spawn in stays restricted/flooded. I feel its mostly because their projectile has a very slow sound cue. The boss, Poison Worm can ensure damage due to the danger in approaching it and how its reactions may surround and ensure damage to Molli when most of its segments are still active. It remained the boss that I would lose the most health to even as I started to get farther.
    The Ghost King, Necro Witch, Jack-o-Mage, and Phantom King are all incredible bosses and feel fair and fun. Their patterns don't take too long to get used to, especially Jack and Phantom King which is a huge credit to the enjoyment of the game considering their position in later in levels. The feeling that comes with knowing them as opponents is incredibly satisfying.
    The Necro Witch battle feels like it takes the longest amount of time due to the relaxed nature of her attacks especially when compared to the Fire Spirit which is a consistent flow of chaotic and sometimes frustrating attacks that require a great deal of movement.
    It feels a little bad to attack the Fire Spirit as its Wisps are rotating around it only to touch one of the Wisps after dealing damage to the boss, I feel it would be preferable to make the Wisps disappear more immediately.
    The Flame Ghosts are a bothersome enemy, they're the only ones that can't be attacked as they're spawning and as a result can spawn on top of Molli and deal damage. I don't know if this is an intended advantage for them, but it makes it possible to take unexpected damage in the Ember Cellar.
    The 3 Blade weapons are unattractive to me. Before I attempted to use them I had the impression that moving up and down floors would be a huge advantage for this weapon, but it was just the opposite. Due to how narrow the attack is, it is very easy to get hit since Molli hits the ground running and is immediately vulnerable when changing floors due to the tight timing required to slash horizontally as she lands. It would be a huge boon to this 'flashlight' if Molli could attack vertically and horizontally at the same time in midair even if it makes no sense.
    The Firefly Lantern, and perhaps the other Lanterns have a very long lasting Chain Meter which is an incredible advantage. I feel this 'statistic' might be nice to have represented in the information for other flashlights (If it isn't already and I just missed it).
    The Soul Taffy is a pretty lame, low value candy.
    The Purified Curse's physical damage taken increase wasn't apparent to me.

Ultimately I can see that every element of every stage must have taken a great deal of resources and time to craft. Features and challenges that I may show coldness to didn't detract from the game experience at all and I mention them only as minor inconveniences. I finished it despite my lack of skill in action-oriented games so there is no overwhelming challenges or inconsistencies in the progression of the game. I don't want fool myself into expecting too much more out of the game now that it is released as its content feels pretty set in stone and is already quite plentiful, satisfying, and form-fitting, but I find myself still hoping for more just because it was so enjoyable! I appreciate the development studio's work deeply and hope their efforts have been rewarded justly, I know they've earned my patronage.

TicTac and Thomas Ferrer like this.
  10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

This might help a little (spoiler below)

Stand next to him if he laughs (“haha”) and he’ll shoot the thorns above and below you. If he doesn’t laugh, get off his level because he’ll shoot one straight at you.

I’ve beaten it twice now but didn’t get a different ending using the peppermint of souls. I think it may just add hearts or some other really good buff but don’t quote me on that.

There’s a few achievements that make it sound like I’m missing a whole section of the game:

“Help Paige by showing her a charm she’s requested to see”

“Complete one of Hectors hunter requests”

“Speak with Bunber and learn about the cursed fates of all those who reside in the mansion”

Still loving the heck out of this amazing gem.

Thomas Ferrer, caroparo and verlaine like this.
  11. caroparo

caroparo Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    #31 caroparo, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Quite old comment, and I’m not sure if it’s a bug that’s fixed, but I’ve only figured it out last week so here are my spoiler 2 cents:

You have to turn on sound effects, Jack laughs differently right upon appearing on the same floor you’re staying on. The visual “haha” hint appears too slowly so you’ll never have time to jump away if it’s a same-floor attack.

A crash bug I’ve encountered: when carrying poison reduction prop, and having eaten the “enemy hitting you is damaged” curse, getting hit by the (poison?) spotter ghost’s bullet crashes the game somehow. This happens when important carrying the peppermint of souls, not sure if it’s related.

Overall, it’s a very good game (I’m f2p). I don’t mind ads and I’d say the game items(charms) give great variety and depth. After beating the game I still don’t quite understand the “heart meter” at all though. I only know that getting 25x high chains gives a shower of hearts, making the later stages playable.

One thing I found quite annoying is the screen shakes and haptic feedback (is it me or there is haptic feedback? I thought I turned my iOS feedback off [edit: it’s totally me. My phone just vibrates slightly my when any button’s tapped even if feedbacks turned off]). Wish there’s an option to turn them off. I sometimes feel nauseated playing the game, not sure whether it’s too much dynamic particles or shakes. It seems to be most serious during the initial cutscenes where texts were very blurry on my iPhone 7.

I’m also curious whether there’s a true end; will try to unlock more flashlights to find out but lv35 (now lv26) is quite too demanding for me.

12. Thomas Ferrer

Thomas Ferrer New Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Male

I’m Tom the programmer for Candies n Curses, just wanted to say I loved your thoughtful response. I’ll definitely share a lot of these interesting ideas/comments with my partner and discuss the design choices of some mechanics you mentioned. Thanks again.

13. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    #33 TicTac, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Will the items in the launch pack be unlockable later in the game?

Also what other perks do we get besides the lamp, pup and no ads? Is the coin doubler included? Will we see pop up ads after dying?

14. Thomas Ferrer

Thomas Ferrer New Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Male
    Yes, both the lamp and dog can be obtained through normal gameplay at no cost.

The no ads purchase gives the following:

- 1 free revive
    - 2x souls after every run
    - 3 free daily quest rerolls (per quest)
    - no ads
    - the pup charm (dog)
    - Gorgers lamp

raravan and TicTac like this.
  15. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    #35 TicTac, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Would be perfect if the coin doubler was included, but I’m sold anyway! Got the starter pack.

Edit: think I found a small bug. Sometimes when I reroll daily challenges the button says Free but it costs me 3000 souls anyway. This usually happens on the 4th time I reroll (which I know is my fault as we only get 3 free).

raravan and Thomas Ferrer like this.
  16. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Completed the game! Was just doing a daily mission and somehow did it with some good luck with candies along the way. Equipment used: Gorgers lamp, anti blaze, anti venom, rally+beauty charm.

[​IMG]

17. Thomas Ferrer

Thomas Ferrer New Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Male
    That’s fantastic! PRO TIP: use the share button (green button on the bottom) to get a custom image with all the candies + curses and flashlight + charms combo you used :)

TicTac likes this.
  18. Viipeach

Viipeach New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Female
    Yes, he has noise ques. When he laughs, stay on the same platform as him, when he grunts/makes noise once, go on any other platform from him

19. Viipeach

Viipeach New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Female
    Completed the game aswell. Used virus fly lamp, beauty charm, rally charm, and devour charm, all maxed. Used different candies, usually I go for butterfly sugar, heart pop, moonlight bubble gum shield, however always used the purification curse. :)

TicTac likes this.
  20. Karzheen

Karzheen New Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Male