Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #81 Squirt Reynolds, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but this game needs either Open Feint, +Plus, or some other kind of online/local scoring system. Using Twitter for your high scores is just a pain, and it currently only tweets the score from the last game you played.

Devs, I really hope you have plans to implement a different high scores system, because this really is a great game and the current system pretty much sucks.

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not saying that everyone isn't entitled to their opinion, it just seems that many threads devolve into debate over what the app is 'worth'. It feels like an App Appraisal site not a game enthusiast site.

3. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    Squirt - Canabalt's first big update will be to tie it to the same proprietary, highly secure backend tech that powers wurdle's online high scores, and you will be able to migrate the top 10 scores from your device to your account once we get it added. Eric is redoing the authentication right now so we left it out of the 1.0 release.

4. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There are local scores available from the main menu and after each game it tells you the rank of your last score.

Edit: Unless you simply want other online options.

5. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    it's unfortunate but ppl usually talk about pricing before buying especially when it's an indie dev or group of small developers. Reason being is that their name is unknown, thus, ppl question about the price first if it's a bit to high.

Note that we are buying other apps unlike the other half of the iPhone users who just jailbreak there phones. I believe it's always wise to talk about the price on the games that doesn't sell itself.

6. lostamerican13

lostamerican13 Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    enough about pricing then! lets see some high scores! I doubt you guys can my current high score of 4794m.

7. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    #87 eeenmachine, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    You're right, AppShopper totally needs their own forums so people can talk at even greater length about app pricing and their financial decision making.

Edit: My current high score is 3774. I keep noticing subtle things in the game's audio like the dude's footsteps. Can't wait to try the game with some headphones on!

8. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Thanks Adam, good to hear another system is on it's way. BTW, Canabalt has some of the best in-game music i've ever heard, on ANY platform. It's friggin' awesome.

I was aware of the local scores screen and the score rank update after each game, but thanks for telling me anyway.

And yes, I'd like other online options.

I already got you beat :)

My current high score is 4926

9. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think that the reason the discussion about the game turned into a discussion about the price is because people compare this game to others in the same price range as well as some other games that are currently $0.99instead of looking at the game in its own right. App store is extremely competitive and too many devs lower the prices of their games to climb back up the charts. This is a very unfortunate situation because a lot of very good games that devs spent a lot of time on don't do as well as they deserve. Thats the main reason why you have fantastic games selling at $0.99 instead of the price they should be selling at. That is why comparing the price of this game to others will not give you an accurate indication of what the game is worth. If you are interested in the content - buy it. If you are not - don't. The last 10 pages dealt almost excusively with price. Enough already.

10. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    guys I deleted one post for being rude. play nice.

arn

11. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    yeah it was my post and it was just a statement. The customers are the one who fork over the money they should be able to decide if they feel what they're paying for is worth it. Thats all.

12. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

For those of you that have this and Run, is this game better? I see that Een is playing this instead of working on his own apps, so that's a good sign. I'm just curious how it compares to a similar (in mechanics) game.

13. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have Run, but it's the attention to detail that really makes me love this game. Everything from the subtle sound effects and amazing soundtrack to the epic foreground and background animations make it a very immersive and interactive experience.

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I have them both. The music in Canabalt is killer. The effects are cool. It looks like a flash game, go play the flash game for free because that's what you'll get if you buy it only this time on a handheld. There is really nothing innovative about the game other then some nifty effects used, some nice music. The movement is fluid and fast, but the only thing you do in the game is tap to jump over things. Thats it.

In Run there is more to the gameplay but its a little slower.

Run is $1 This game is $3 IMO This is not a $3 iphone game, but its not ridiculously overpriced, enough for people to question it though. IMO its a $1-2 game, especially when you consider its basically a port of a free flash game.

15. taah

taah Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Project Manager
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I was totally hyped about this game, after playing the flash version.

But I expected it to be priced at .99 dollars.

So I'll stick with the flash version, thank you very much.

Until, as someone else mentioned, you add much more content that makes it worth three dollars.

16. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    http://toucharcade.com/2009/10/02/canabalt-run-for-your-life/

front page.

The flash version is embedded. Try it yourself.

Feel like people have misplaced anger at the pricing. The desktop version is free... so, if you love it, support the devs. If you don't think it's $3 worth, then simply don't. The devs aren't taking anything away from you. Think of it as donationware/shareware with the added perk you can play it on your iPhone.

arn

17. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
  18. lostamerican13

lostamerican13 Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    YES!! 5326m! beat that xD

19. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Lol, yeah man. I ended up buying it anyways. :D
    What can I say, I am a sucker for a good platformer.

20. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I feel I must chime in on this pricing debate. Sorry guys but I do think it is relevant to discuss pricing on a game launch. Especially in this case....a flash port such as this.

I first saw this game here on touch arcade when it was previewed and was curious about the game so I was looking forward to its launch. I have to say when I saw the price point I too was disappointed. As others have stated there's simply not enough content to warrant the price, in my opinion of course. As a small business owner myself I have to be aware of the marketplace and my competition. Just because I feel I deserve a certain profit doesn't mean the market will bare it. All of us in business are having to adjust pricing to survive in this current economic climate. Ultimately time will tell but from what I've seen on this thread should be a good indicator to the developer.

Also I'm curious to know how much investment the developer has in this game since I found a site that claimed this game was created in 5 days? That doesn't sound right does it?
    http://armorgames.com/play/4457/canabalt

I'm all about helping out the little guy but within reason.

Respectfully....