Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Wow i just bought this and guess what I found?
    3.1 REQUIREMENT :mad::mad::mad:

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Guys, if you really want to play the game on your idevice, buy it. If you think it's not worth the asking price, don't buy it. Don't pester the dev on pricing plans. If sales are good even at this price, why would any dev ever do a price drop? And if sales are bad, he'll lower it without being asked. Calling the dev a liar is not helpful and definitely very bad manners.

3. joni99

joni99 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    a must have

4. joni99

joni99 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    shit #@%rew##r@ !

5. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    I think this thread title should be changed. I'm in the U.S. and I just downloaded Canabalt, and it's still Oct 1st here.

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    can anyone tell me if there is anything to this game other than automatically running and tapping a button to jump? Are there any powerups, different backgrounds? Anything else?

7. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Nope. Just running and jumping.

As simple as it is, there's something about it that's just awesome. I was hesitant to spend $2.99 on it, but after playing the flash version I was hooked.

8. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Bought as soon as I could, well worth $2.99 even without expectations of more features. This is an indie developer to support!

9. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    well I know the music is very good and the effects are cool, so its definitely strong in that department, but how long before that appeal wears off? For some a long time for some a few days I guess.

10. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This changes things. I didn't realize you created both. I will be purchasing this to support you.

11. orangedrink

orangedrink Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    great game but not worth 2.99.

12. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    you guys seriously need to stop whining about the price.

13. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Damn it! I have 3.0 jailbroken! I hope other games won't do this and an update comes out for this game with 3.0 compatibility.

14. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Sorry, but no. Is it hard in the current environment? Yes. People are strugling to make money? Yes. So are the buyers.

Let's put it like this way....there are tons of casual games in AppStore and most of them are into 0.99 category, so pricing is a factor and the developer should know about that.

I am not saying the game worth or not, I a just saying that this is how the market works. I think it is a wrong positioning by developers putting the game in a higher than expected price.

For the dev: I think that your argument saying that you have a free flash version and because ofthis you are going to charge more for iphone users is not valid. You should think on your product by itself, if you not have enough money to do free flash games and paid iphone games, you ust choose one of the, whatever makes you happier.

Bottom line: it is too expensive and you know that.

15. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    #75 Adam Atomic, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    3.0 support would be pretty rad, I was sad to lose my tethering hack :( 3.1 has a very nice vsync game loop function that was essential to getting the performance we needed in the time that we had. It's possible that with more time we could optimize the game to the point where we can get great touch frequency AND vsync without 3.1, but I don't have any kind of ETA on that. It boiled down to choosing between delaying the game, having spotty touches, or requiring 3.1, and we went with the third option there.

Bruno - thanks for the input! I haven't claimed anywhere that we can charge more because there is a free version somewhere though. I just think it's worth $3 :) Some people don't, and that's ok! However, I think the common argument of "other games are a dollar so game X should be too" is pretty silly.

16. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Shouldn't we let the market (and time) dictate whether it is an acceptable price point instead of you?

17. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    sry but i believe there are a lot of ppl who disagree with the pricing as well.

18. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    Well that would be the market then, wouldn't it? :)

19. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And if enough people think similarly the market will prove you right. I'm just sad that so many people would rather discuss price points than the games themselves. It feels like some people would rather discuss app shopping than app playing.

20. lostamerican13

lostamerican13 Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    #80 lostamerican13, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, some are in binds and prefer the .99 pricepoint, others without the budget crunch don't mind the 2.99 pricepoint.

The game itself is great, i've played the flash version over and over again, each time trying to beat my previous score. In short, it's addicting!

Is it worth 2.99? In my opinion, no. I think for the quaility of gameplay, great soundtrack, but lack of content, 1.99 is a PERFECT pricing point.

My two cents =P

Edit: My current high score is 4794m before hitting a wall and tumbling to your death.