Can you update iPod firmware on other computer without losing the content?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Right now I´m far away from home, so I´ve been stuck with the 4.0 firmware and want to update to 4.1 to get the new things like Gamecenter. Since I´m not using my ¨home computer¨, I was wondering if I can update my iPod´s firmware on other computer without losing my music/apps. If there´s a way, how?

Thanks.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah you should just be able to plug it in and hit "update". Just don't try syncing with that computer. But the firmware update is fine to do without losing anything.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm pretty sure that you can. Try this:

1) On iTunes, authorize the computer using your account from home. Hopefully you have one of the 5 computers allowed available.

2) Sync your iPod. I believe that it will ask you to copy the content of the iPod to the new computer. If it asks you to delete the contents of the iPod, stop the process (obviously).

3) Download the new firmware and upgrade your iPod.

I seem to remember doing this once successfully, but I'm not certain. The key is that the new computer needs to be authorized under the same account as the iPod.

Good luck!

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I updated my firmware on a library computer and it worked just fine. It's as simple as installing iTunes and hitting update. But like Zincous said, don't try to sync any apps on the computer.

5. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    How do you do step number one?

Right now I´m connected to iTunes and there´s the ¨update¨ button available. I don´t know if I should hit it or not. Last time I tried to update an iPod from other computer it got stuck with the ¨connect iPod to USB¨ image.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As the other folks said, if you hit Update you won't sync and the rest of my previous post is moot. If you want to sync first (always wise when it comes to upgrading your firmware), then go under the Store menu in iTunes and choose "Authorize This Computer..." It will ask for your iTunes store ID and password. Afterward go to the device tab in iTunes and see if it allows you to sync (it should give you a message that you're about to blank your iPod if you still can't sync after authorizing).

7. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I just updated the iPod. 4.1 is finally here... yay. Bad thing? 99% of my apps disappeared. Weird how only a couple of ´em survived (Space Invaders, Mirror´s Edge, Hellsing´s Fire, Monster Dash. Crap, does this mean that I have to play all over Angry Birds and my other apps again?

Anyway, at least my music is intact :D

Edit: Duh, false alarm, all my apps were on the third page.

Thanks for the help guys.

8. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. That happened to me to. The Game Center app icon pushed everything back a page.