Can i still update to iOS 5 OR is it too late?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Snozberry, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    is there a way to update to iOS 5? my devices are not jail broken.
    if i updated to iOS 6 wouldn't my games and apps not work until they are updated? some of my fav games never get updated.would that mean i could never play it again?thannks

2. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    #2 warcrack, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Snozberry

Jan 21, 2012
    thank you heaps :) still not entirely sure how to do it but I'm glad it can be done

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I was nervous about updating to ios5 a while back for that very same reason, i have 'ahem' about 400 games on my ipod touch, some very old which i couldnt see would get updated.

I took the plunge (Mostly because Pinball Arcade needed ios5) and didnt have one issue with any old games.

I've now taken the plunge with ios6 on my phone and 'so far' i havent had any apps not loading (which havent had updates). Still want to try a few more before i update my ipod touch which has all the 100's of games but from past experience it seems okay.

Most games are getting updates for the larger screen, not every single app will need an update as they seem to work fine as they are now. If Apple released a new ios which required every single app to have an update (or they wont work) there would be chaos

5. Snozberry

Jan 21, 2012
    Thank you a million. Seriously.
    I've always wondered why people would update if they lost game support.
    Thank you for explaining it. I feel alot better about it now.
    I have heaps of games too. I'd have a heart attack if I lost them all.
    Lots of oldies too.. Hopefully most of my games will work then..
    I should probably take the plunge.. Wish I did it for iOS 5 first though.. 6 is even scarier.. (since it's the first version )
    Will I lose all my photos and stuff? Notes, numbers etc? Or will it all be saved to my laptop when I sync?
    I'm excited about some of the new features, but worried about others. (like YouTube)
    Is there a way to download iOS 5 still? I'm willing to jailbreak if I can download iOS 5 before taking the plunge for iOS 6!

6. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #6 Platyrrhine, Sep 24, 2012
    You will not lose your photos, notes, or anything else like that. The lack of a YouTube app is not a problem; the previous one was outdated and difficult to use. If it's that important to you, though, Google has a downloadable YouTube app which is better. But you don't need any special app to use YouTube.

When I say that you will not lose any of the files, I'm assuming that nothing will go wrong with your install. You should ALWAYS be fully backed up to a computer before installing a new OS.

Someone posted download links above for iOS 5. If you need help setting it up, either look for a guide or PM me.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Youtube wont disappear, theres now a proper Youtube app which is free to download.

I have tons of graphic novels/PDF's, pictures on my ipod but i made sure i synced and did a backup before hand (and copy off pictures just in case), when i updated to ios6 my novels/graphic novels/photos were still in there, as were my emails which i hadnt downloaded so i didnt spot i had lost anything.

Upgrading to ios5 was 100% fine for me, didnt have problems with any apps. I've heard 'some' Sega games dont seem to work (Altered Beast) which i need to try as i'm into my retro games, need to copy them on my iphone (which has ios6) and test this out.

Parents comment i know but you should have installed ios5 just a few days ago before ios6 now seems to be the default to install ! ;)

Do a google search and see if theres still places where you can get ios5.

Hope you get it sorted

8. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    The downside is that the YouTube isn't universal. I used to use YouTube all the time. :(

9. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Well you can still use the website :p

10. Snozberry

Jan 21, 2012
    #10 Snozberry, Sep 24, 2012
    thanks for all the advice guys.. i just downloaded iOS 5 from the link
    (thanks a bunch for the link! great site!)
    im not sure if my iPhone 4 is gsm or c but one website said it was the gsm so i downloaded the software for it and got a error saying "you cannot update your device with this software". not entirely sure if thats because its the wrong software for my phone and it needs the cd now (which I'm downloading now) or if the link is broken and gave me the wrong file, or most likely, apple won't allow you to download iOS 5 now, since iOS 6 is out.
    I've heard someone say that once new software comes out you can't update to any other software but the newest... unless jailbroken..

so if this cd one doesn't work.. I'm going to look into jail breaking.. and if i still have no luck.. ill update to iOS 6 but i really don't want to because the ONE thing i use my phone for is to use my gps app.. and I'm worried it won't run on iOS 6 and ill be screwed.. especially since the built in maps are crap as well.
    I'm seriously considering getting some other phone next time i upgrade..and just keeping apple for my laptop, iPad and iPod. when you have everything else apple, iPhones don't really add much extra.. i do use it for gps because my other devices don't have 3g.. and also use it for calls, text and Facebook over 3g since none of my devices are 3g..but i could buy a smart phone for a hundred bucks with those features.. i love apple but I'm seriously getting fed up of being left behind all the time simply because i don't want to screw around upgrading my software and losing all my progress.. and now I'm going to be screwed even more because my iPhone has different apps than my iPad and iPod.. so now when i sync my iPad, its going to try to sync my iPhone apps and it won't be able to because i don't have enough memory.. and ahhh its just hassles... i miss the good old days when phones never connected to computers.. it almost makes me want to go dig out my old nokia 3310 and friggin use that...! sorry for the snappy rant. but its bloody 2am and the last thing i wanted to do was have to wait 3 hours to download the update, back up my stuff, load the update, sync, then have it fail, then have to download iOS 6 and do it all over again... and half my games probably won't work and all my numbers and text messages will probably be gone.. agh apple you are friggin annoying but i still love you.

thanks for all your help anyway everyone that responded. at least I'm doing this with some knowledge of it now.. still worried its going to blow up or something.... but ill see how it goes....

EDIT

ope, apple won't allow old software to be installed since the iOS 6 upgrade. it just won't verify.. people say apple did it because they knew iOS 6 users would want to roll back to iOS 5. friggin laaaame.

looking into jailbreak now. my next phone will be an android. screw you apple ! stop being so clingy and controlling!

I've heard that apple sends all your information automatically to their servers and can view it if they want to, on iOS 6... quite creepy... I'm seriously considering kissing the iPhone goodbye! and just gaming on my iPad!

11. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    #11 warcrack, Sep 24, 2012
    You must know your device and download the support file for this device.
    iPhone 4s come with iOS 5.0 installed for first time.
    If you got your iPhone from AT&T that is GSM.
    No problem to install iOS 6 only make backup in iTunes .

12. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Apple is no longer signing tickets for iOS 5. That window has closed, and therefore you are required to go straight to 6.

Jailbreak users have had the luxury of saving their "shsh blobs" which are essentially the digital signature Apple uses to grant your idevice permission for a software upgrade. Apple stops giving out these digital signatures not long after a new software update is released. This forces users to move upwards on the software ladder. Saving your "shsh blob" allows you to fake the signature from Apple by using a program called TinyUmbrella to act as a middle man between iTunes and Apple. When iTunes requests a ticket from Apple, TinyUmbrella steps in and replies with your saved blob and iTunes thinks it got the OK from apple to downgrade or upgrade to an older version of iOS.

Apple recently changed the way this was handled with iOS 5, rendering TinyUmbrella useless against it. In this case, we can still use TinyUmbrella to save your "shsh blobs" to your computer for use with the Redsn0w jailbreak application to create a custom IPSW (iphone software) upgrade file that has your AP Ticket "stitched' into it, tricking iTunes into thinking it has already been signed by Apple as OK for installation.

Unless you are Jailbroken, and have saved your SHSH Blobs, you cannot go install an outdated software version on iPhone 4 and up once Apple has closed the signing window. The original iPhone, iPhone 3g and 3gs are immune to this and can always be downgraded/upgraded due to better entry point exploits that cannot be patched out by Apple.

Sorry, but the least I can do is save you time and headache.

13. Snozberry

Jan 21, 2012
    #13 Snozberry, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    thanks.. i tried both for iPhone 4, one said "not compatible" and the other seemed to be the right one because it backed up my device, but then as it was trying to authorise it said "could not authorise this software on this device".
    then i looked it up, and others were saying the same thing..apple doesn't allow u to downgrade or upgrade to an out of date software anymore.the only way around it is if you have redsnow..
    going to leave it for now...might have my ex look at it next time he comes over to jailbreak it because ill probably explode my phone if i try..

thanks a lot for all the help though.. the site you mentioned is extremely informative..added it to my feeds. cheers :)

UPDATED TO IOS 6. pleasantly surprised. Shouldn't have put off updates for so long. A few downfalls but some good features too. I'm happy I took the plunge.
    Thanks again for the convincing!