Can Clock Apps Cause Screen Burn?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Igoo, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Some apps like Easy Relax now have a feature to display a clock on the screen while it plays ambient sounds. I have a Bose speaker dock next to my bed, and i'd love to let it display the time every night... but i'm afraid of the iTouch version of monitor burn in. Is that even possible on an iTouch?
    :confused:

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hmmmm, Interesting question, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it won't hurt the screen, but I'm going to hit google and see if i can find anything else on that... BRB

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ok from what I have found so far, no it's not possible to get burn in on the the iPhones LCD screen... But then again that's according to the Google... Take it for what it is...

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I don't think it's possible. If it was a plasma screen maybe, but not an LCD screen....

5. blurb35

blurb35 Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Screen burns is a problem of CRTs, the old big heavy monitors of past days. Plasma displays can also have screen burn as basically each pixel in a plasma display is a tiny CRT. LCD displays (like the iphone's or ipod's or like an lcd monitor) do not have screen burn. They have other problems, the entire display becomes dimmer with time (not a pixel region), so you don't see screen burn artifacts. But the half life time (the time it takes the screen to become half as bright) on modern LCD screens is over 50,000 hours, that's 6 years assuming the display is on all the time...

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

Well, no need to worry about that. There's a new model of (insert device name here) every 2 years. Out of sheer curiosity, what plagues HD screens?

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

That's not entirely true. LCD screens can suffer from burn-in artifacts as well. They are not as prone to it as plasmas, but take a good look at your 1-2 year old LCD screen right where the Windows start-menu is located... you might find an unpleasant surprise.

8. blurb35

blurb35 Member

Jan 29, 2009
    hehe... I use a mac :)