Can anyone recommend a social marketing person for $800 per month?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maccyfin, Jun 4, 2014.

1. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Hey all. As everyone knows marketing games / apps now is becoming more and more essential to keep up. I'm trying to find a social marketing person to help us promote our games through social sites like twitter, facebook, heyzap etc. I know $800 per month is not a lot, but we will also include a bonus scheme after a few months of work.

The person can be located anywhere, and can work from home.
    Requirements are that he / she must speak and write good English. Have either an iphone or android device. And be good with social media sites like facebook, twitter etc.

If anyone is interested or if anyone can recommend someone, please send me an email on [email protected]

Thanks all :)
    Martin

2. kinoro

kinoro Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi Martin,

Before our latest game (Circix - http://www.circixgame.com) I was very tempted to offer a similar opportunity to anyone interested - the alternative (doing it myself) just seemed like too much hard work.

With Circix however, I decided to have a stab at it myself. We created the facebook and twitter accounts for the game and started contacting anyone who we thought would be interested (players, reviewers, bloggers etc). It doesn't take a massive amount of time either - I tried to set aside 30 minutes everyday. I've gotta say that the results have been far beyond what I was hoping. And the added bonus is that I built up a list on contacts who I can now talk to about future updates and other projects.

Therefore, I would recommend thinking carefully before paying someone for something you could do yourself.

Those are my thoughts :)

Good luck

Russ

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I am curious how you went about this? I am trying to increase my twitter following. I am kind of dissapointed i have 500+ subscribers on youtube and only 30 followers on twitter when I am trying to share all my developments.

4. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    hey kinoro. this is really good feedback, thanks for posting :)
    been checking out your blog as well, very cool.

Thanks again

5. pidigi

pidigi Member

Jun 7, 2014
    contact here
    http://pi-digi.com/contact-us/

if you are interested . There are many such social media consultants available for hire .

6. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Follow EVERYONE in the applicable industry. I try to follow as many game reviewers, indie game devs and game bloggers as I can. I find that half will follow you back. I gained 200 followers over the last two days :) Sure, I follow more than I have followers, but it still means I have that many more people seeing my posts.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    What is your twitter? I will follow you (and maybe you will follow me back :) )

8. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    @POLYGAMeDIGITAL :D

9. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I added.

Also tried following your advice and pretty much all have followed me back. I have figured if they have a similar number of followers to following they are likely to follow you back.

10. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    When I was working at the indie studio I was also in charge of the social marketing. Before I left we had 600 facebook fans and 1000 followers (after 2 years of sort of marketing).

Our strategy:
    Step 1) get everyone we know to like the pages.
    2) run contests and games
    I wish I could show you some of the games but the page has been taken down.
    Two of our most popular ones were a word chain game ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/16pyckjkgk4lsl5/Contest.png ) and spot the differences ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2sfpol8yv1vfhb/GoNativeSpotDifference.png ) . Both took almost no time to set up and got 100 Facebook fans over the course of the games, even more than the 'share this post for a chance at an AppleTV' contest we ran just afterwards.
    3) Promote the page in the game.
    4) Talk about it everywhere.

We tried a whole bunch of other stuff but they ended up failing or spectacularly failing.

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    what has happened to your account?

12. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #12 POLYGAMe, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Got rid of it. Spend too much time on bloody social networking and not enough game dev. lol. I probably will reactivate that one, though... my personal one will stay dead. I get to tempted to jump into arguments with other idiots like me. lol.

EDIT: Back online.

13. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I really think a good rule of thumb is never argue with anyone online. Well unless maybe you're Ender's brother and sister.