Can Anyone Explain this DRM thing for me?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sainter, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    "At today's Macworld Expo keynote, Apple announced several changes to the iTunes store.

Starting today, 8 million of the iTunes Store's 10 million songs are now available DRM-free via iTunes Plus. All 10 million songs in the iTunes Store will be offered DRM-free by the end of March. Apple will also offer users a one-click solution to upgrade their entire library to iTunes Plus for 30 cents per song or 30% of album prices.

Additionally, the iTunes Wi-Fi music store is now compatible with 3G, allowing iPhone users to preview and download the entire iTunes music catalog over the 3G cellular network. Songs are available at the same price and quality as over Wi-Fi.

Finally, beginning in April, the iTunes Store will offer pricing in three tiers ($0.69, $0.99, and $1.29) based on the prices the music labels charge Apple."

http://www.macrumors.com/

No.1 What is this DRM and what does it do.
    No.2 What is iTunes Plus and why will I WANT to pay $1,400 or less if I use the 30% of album prices to get it upgraded to this?

Any more info as well will be helpful, thanks

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    DRM is music protection. And Plus is higher music quality

3. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Thanks, Dont think I want to fork out hundreds of dollars for better music quality though..

4. To add to what Danny said, DRM is Digital Rights Management, and at one stage all music you bought from the iTunes store used to include this. It made sure that music you bought could only be played on a computer that was authorized to play it (up to 5 computers are allowed). It also meant that only iPods and no other mp3 players (such as Creative, Sony etc) could play any of your DRM'd music tracks.
    iTunes Plus is the name they have given to tracks that not only have DRM removed (allowing you to play your music on what ever you like with no restriction) but also have double the quality (256kbps instead of the old standard 128kbps). It is due to the higher quality that Apple are asking for a small fee per track/album for you to download the iTunes Plus equivalent of any DRM'd music you already bought.
    $1,400??? You must have bought an awful lot of DRM'd music from iTunes!

5. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    DRM = Digital Rights Management

Its what companies use to restrict how you use the music you pay for. Previously, songs purchased on iTunes could only be played in iTunes (on up to 5 authorized computers tied to your account) or on iPods/iPhones. With DRM-free music, you get just the music without the extra security meaning you can put it on as many computers you want, play in whatever player you like, and transfer to any device you like (i.e. non-Apple devices if you are so inclined). Also, you can burn them to CDs easily if you like.

If you buy music with DRM you are locking yourself into one company's store, and device, and forced to play by their rules. If you buy DRM-free music, you are free to use your music how you see fit. The increased bitrate on the new iTunes Plus tracks is just gravy (very tasty gravy), but the real benefit is freedom.

DRM was devised to stop pirates, it doesn't, and it only annoys paying customers, so Apple is making a good decision by going DRM-free.

Bottom Line: Don't buy music with DRM if you can avoid it.

6. Sorry Talon- got there before you pal.

As for burning to CD's, you could actually do that with DRM'd tracks, which is how a lot of people got rid of the DRM (burn the tracks to disk, then rip them back to the computer from the disk DRM-free, but losing quality in the process).

7. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Oh so I dont have to pay for tracks that weren't bought on iTunes, because that was only 2 albums I think... That would cut down how much it will cost lol

8. Haha. That sounds a bit better. If you go to the iTunes music store, look for the option on the right side of the page to take you to iTunes Plus, where it will tell you how many tracks/albums it can replace and how much it will cost you.

9. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Ah awesome, Thanks!

10. shannonkay

shannonkay Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Why would you pay iTunes for tracks you didn't buy from them?

11. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make you pay otherwise they will have bad quality when played on your iPod

12. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DRM= digital right managment

its a thying that music companys but on there music soo they cant be but on thousands of comps, if you have DRM free music you can put the music on as many ipod,mp3 player and comps as you want

(the short version) is something that prevent them from being massly reproduced

13. Yep, we kind of already established all that on page 1 of the thread.

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Stupid people, seriously. Read the whole fu^U&^% thread before replying. Can you ban him for me, 'yuthe? I'm joking, or am I?

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    i know, buy i was giving the whole thing :)

16. #16 wastedyuthe, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    But you didn't say anything new that hasn't already been said on mine and Talons posts on page 1. They were the whole thing already. No matter.