Universal Campfire Cooking (By Layton Hawkes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Perfect. Thank you for such a quick response. Purchasing tonight/tomorrow.

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, metalcasket. I now wonder if this is because I am on iOS 9.x. Arrgh....

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

4. Hawkes

Hawkes Member

May 12, 2016
    Game Designer
    Australia
    Hey everyone, Layton here. A big thanks to Eli for chatting with me about Campfire Cooking and its development from paper to product.

I'll be hanging out in this thread, feel free to send me any questions you have. I may not respond instantly as the next few days over release can get hectic, but I'll get to them! I'll be doing updates to address any issues you find, there's always something that slips through my one man QA team.

Hope you all enjoy the puzzles :)

5. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Between this and the brilliant ‘PUSH”, I’m going to be really busy in the next few weeks!

6. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    36 levels in, not terribly difficult but loads of cool ideas and mechanics! Really enjoying it.

7. ChronoSigma

ChronoSigma Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Wow! Didn't expect cooking game to integrate with puzzle elements.
    Love the aesthetic as well. Especially those marshmallows. Yum.

8. Hawkes

Hawkes Member

May 12, 2016
    Game Designer
    Australia
    Hopefully the dev spotlight answers your question! :)
    http://toucharcade.com/2017/10/18/developer-spotlight-layton-hawkes-and-campfire-cooking/

Hmm. I benchmarked the game on an original iPad 2, which has iOS 9.3.5 installed. It's not perfect, but usually runs at around 40 fps for general gameplay, slightly less in the cutscenes. How sluggish are we talking?

9. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Stuck for the first time! Level 67 is a tightly packed level, and quite tricky it seems, excited to be stumped and hoping I'll continue to be as the game continues!

Awesome mechanics and presentation, no doubt about it. Well worth the purchase!

10. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    every puzzle lover should try this game. after getting bombed by many great puzzle games for the last 2 weeks, i can say this game is like a fresh air to my brain, it feels so relaxing and also challenging at the same time. fantastic work by layton, i can't wait keep playing the game to see what it offer next.

11. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

I couldn't of said it better. This game is like crack.

12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished level 31, it had a new mechanic, just play for yourself to find out, it’s great, it always makes me wonder how devs. come up with this stuff, it is a very good time for IOS gamers.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Agree. Level 67 is a good example showcasing the game's clever level design. Like many other levels I found, there are many ways to attack this level to solve it, with some more efficient (such as less number of moves) than others. A move counter may add an extra layer of challenge, as this game is primed for such an addition.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I, for one, am glad Layton doesn't have move counters in his games. Yes, they certainly do add more challenge, but this is a game about sitting around a campfire and there's nothing less relaxing to me than thinking about a move counter and me being the perfectionist I am, I would not hesitate to delete this in a heartbeat. :/

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just did level 58 took me 45 minutes but it’s brilliant when you finally see it.

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #36 y2kmp3, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    [25-Oct-2017] 100% completion, both the main campaign (100 levels) and the
    bonus puzzle set (5 levels)
    . The last level in the
    Hightop Volcano Trail
    truly devious with an extraordinarily elaborate solution befitting a final boss battle.

[​IMG]

Overall, superbly crafted and clever puzzle game. One of the best puzzle games on iOS. Highly recommended.

[Original Post]

I finished the main campaign, only to find the
    secret bonus levels in the Hightop Volcano Trail
    that are exceptionally challenging.

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished level 85, just taking my time with this game, just as y2kmp3 said it’s very good and clever and it will be in my top 10 for best game of this year.

Looking forward to Layton’s next game because with this game and Puzzlepops it should be something special, don’t want to pressure you Layton ha ha.

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Does anybody know why this game is no longer on the (UK) App Store?

19. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Bump. This is on sale for the first time. I just bought it and played it a while. It is really excellent.