Cam3D

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iGewappnet, Feb 27, 2009.

1. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
  2. Looks interesting. Based purely on the screenshots, it doesn't look like it works too well. Looking at image 2 and basing depth on the distance between the red and blue elements, it seems like it can't figure out how far away objects are. The slide in the foreground looks as far away as the trees in the background, yet the slide set somewhat in the distance has almost no depth information, while the house/building on the far right behind the distant slide looks like it should appear to be in between the two slides.

Also, what's up with the 3D cutoff at the bottom?

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I dunno. Something seems off there. Also, it would be difficult for novices to use. Ideally you'd have to bring a template with you with lines about two inches apart to indicate where you should move the iPhone for the second shot if you want perfect 3D photos.

3. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i just checked out the screen shots with my 3d glasses from the 3d puzzle game that came out not to long ago, and the images actually look 3d especially the store it looks like ur in the store, so i geuse it works if you know how to use it....

4. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Woah, cool. Somebody TOFTT and try this.

5. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Okay, I bought it. It's not that easy to produce good results. Here you can see some of my better ones:
    http://flickr.com/photos/gewappnet/sets/72157614558644892/

The app itself is buggy and crashes a lot. It is also quite simple and too expensive, but then again there is no alternative. The results are something you can't easily do with normal digicams and Paintshop.

6. Amalgamated

Amalgamated New Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #6 Amalgamated, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Hi-
    Cam3D author here.
    The app is a 3 step process.. What did you find buggy, and when did you find it crashing?
    We haven't received any bug reports from you, or anyone for that matter, so please, if you want a better product in a future update, submit any information you have.
    Regarding "too expensive".. Really? $2.99 for 3D anywhere with your iPhone?
    That's less than a $1 per dimension :)
    There are a couple of 'Sepia' apps that sell for $0.99.. Sepia is obviously something you can do back at your desktop. This is an app that has to be right there at the time of the photograph.

One thing that is important in using the product, is maintaining the same vertical orientation between the two photos. Future versions will have a rotation adjustment.

And, as in all photography, it's an art- that needs to have a bit of finesse applied. This is why I added the ability to go back and change either 'left' or 'right' image. If the separation appears to be too great, you can take the photos 2" apart or 1" apart for close-ups.

We put a lot of effort into making not only a built-in step-by-step tutorial (which is dismissible), but also an online help doc that will walk you through the finer points so that it IS easy to get good results. (and, of course, the support page http://www.amalgamatedcoders.com/Cam3Dsupport.html)

But please, if you find a problem that we (or Apple for that matter) didn't find, submit a bug, and we'll try to make the experience worth your $2.99.

7. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Okay, here I go:
    - The German "tutorial" dialogs make no sense.
    - Opening the help screen and then making a shot -> Crash
    - Making a complete 3D shot and then - without pressing delete before - trying to do another shot -> Crash
    - Strange: Before a crash happens all the German texts become English
    - Once I had a freezing crash, only a hard reset helped

The process involves to many manual steps (clicks). You could include an optional automatic mode: Click "start" for the left picture and after five seconds (or a changeable time) the right picture will automatically be taken.

And about the price: I don't think 2,99 are too much in principle, but compare your price to other (very successful) apps like ColorSplash or Photo fx (with 26 filters!).

Don't get me wrong: I think your app is a great addition to the appstore and this thread, which I started, is somehow an ad for you. But I think you could improve the software.

8. Amalgamated

Amalgamated New Member

Feb 28, 2009
    We're working with translation folks.. please bear with us..
    regarding the crashes, we thought we had all the workflows, but it's those who like to take detours -- :)
    stuff like this, though, would be taken care of more quickly with a direct email to our support, rather than having to have me scan the Internet.
    that's why there's a support email, so you can report bugs, and then have an idea of when the fix will go out in the future release.. I know not a whole hell of a lot of companies actually pay attention to bug reports, but we take each one seriously.

We also reduced the price to 1.99.. still, the thing about 'filter' apps is that you can do all of that when you get back to your desktop.. you really need to do the 3D work where you're taking the picture (to make sure it looks good).

regarding the too many clicks, we absolutely agree! so there's a 1.0.1 version currently in review, that if you dismiss all the helper alerts (e.g. 'don't show'), you get into an expert mode that will immediately put you in "take left picture" mode, then "take right picture" mode.
    (no need to click left & right button). but once the two sides are taken, you can then go back & edit each one.

regarding good results, a smaller separation is often better.
    try to minimize the separation in the foreground & background, & concentrate in the middle.

there are more submissions in our gallery from customers-
    http://www.amalgamatedcoders.com/Cam3Dgallery.html

9. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Actually I sent the statement above to the support mail address on your page and after a few days I got the message "undeliverable".