Universal Calvino Noir (by Calvino Noir Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2015.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    thanks for the heads up man, and...welcome to TA :). i might give it another go tmrw and if anything goes well, then ill buy the season pass. love the atmosphere and the classic theme feels.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #62 sobriquet, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome. Yes that was my first post to the site but I have been spying on you guys for a little while now. It was around the time Warhammer Deathwatch came out that I first downloaded the app and started reading the forums. Since then hardly a day has passed that I haven't visited these forums in search of sage advice and the newest or upcoming game information. I had not posted because I have so far been able to find everything I wanted to know already covered in the reviews, articles and forums. Thank you all for making this my new go to for iOS gaming information. Oh, and I love the fact that developers post on the forums. It really makes me feel like there's a connection between game developer and gamer here. Thanks for that too.

3. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've taken the plunge now that they have updated, and episode 6 is not broken ;) just played 5 mins tonight and it's lovely with an MFI controller. Looks really good, I'll post back if I get issues, if not I'll be playing!

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Completed with all the possible endings :)

5. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    You're a ROCKSTAR!

6. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #66 redribbon, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    new update impressions:
    - faster loading
    - the grabbing system can actually works now
    - the enemy AI behaviour is improved but still can be better
    - stealth system are now better. enemies cant actually aware of your present, until you grab them from behind.
    - everything seems smooth now and the noticeable drop framerate in some areas are now gone.

purchase the season pass: CHECK!

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Really glad you are enjoying the game too now!!!

Saw all 'endings'....great stuff.
    I wish it had more acts already because I'm really liking the setting, the story and the characters...

I know the dev check this thread so while thanking him for the game, I have another suggestion.
    It would be great to see how many secrets I missed per level somewhere, I can't see that anywhere.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hey Pitta, I don't think it was mentioned, but did chapters 2 and 3 require downloading or just unlocking via IAP?

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just unlocking.
    I bought them (there is a pack that saves you 1 dollar) and I was immediately able to play.
    Overall my first play through took around 8 hours I guess (3-4 hours the first Act).
    I'm doing a second one that is taking much less (more like 4, but I'm cruising the levels).
    Plays very nice on iPhone 6 too.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nice. I was one of those guys who loved the aesthetics and setting, but couldn't get past the mechanics. I'm downloading the update now and I'll try Chapter 1 again. If all's good, the Act 2 + 3 pack is mine.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Mechanically it's very old school and brutal...like the old Commandos.
    I can see new generations being frustrated as generally modern games really hold your hands around....here it's not the case.
    You can be still hidden behind a column (be always FAR from guard torchlights) for around a minute memorizing patterns and timings of the guards to find the right spot to spring into an exit...just to be shot in the face by the guard that hid behind the door....and start again trying a new route :)
    The setting and the story, and especially how they develop the characters is pretty great imho.
    Generally I found several ways to get to the target, but there are two spots that are really tricky and as far as I could see there is just one unique way to proceed.
    But the place I was stuck the most...like a solid half an hour/hour....was a big puzzle that I didn't understand right at first.
    Brilliant.

I hope you really enjoy the game as I did!!!

12. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    yep, i suggest you to replaying the game from beginning to get the best experience out of it.

13. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    @Redribbon

Thanks for the follow up. You and Pitta have Been helpful at helping me spend my money. I downloaded the game this morning and will hopefully get a chance to play it tonight.

14. JoshFTL

JoshFTL Member

Jul 6, 2015
    The latest update has fixed a bunch of bugs and improved how the guards work. It's a great improvement!

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I can't really comment on the guards behavior because I already completed the game and played just a bit the new version.
    Seems more fluid and probably a bit (a lot?) easier now, but overall it may be more enjoyable for people who had problems before.

I noticed a FANTASTIC button addition tough....you can now 'link' the characters so they move altogether now....very useful especially in some maps.

I really enjoyed the game and now, with all these additions, I really recommend it...one of the best I recently played.

Curious to hear from people who had problems before and impressions from 'new' people that bought the already patched game just recently.

IMHO it's a great game, awesome graphics and awesome atmosphere.
    I really wish a sequel is in the works...because the ending really left me wanting to know more about.....stuff (no spoilers here).

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm in the process of downloading the new update now. :)

17. barefootdragon

barefootdragon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Now sounds like a good time to buy! Really happy to hear if the bug fixes.

18. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I am digging the art style of this, really immersive. Sucks to pay for the rest of the acts though when you already pay for the game, what kind of a move is that? Why iAP?

I will still check the game out though, but I am a little skeptical. 5/10 review from pocketgamer, 3/5 review from 148apps, and 2.5/5 star review from Gamzebo :/.