Universal Calvino Noir (by Calvino Noir Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2015.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    i take back what i said earlier. this game is just not ready for the prime time yet. ridden with bugs like overheating and crashing and a half baked stealth system.
    1. inconsistence grabbing/take down system
    2. clunky animation, hiding & grabbing. they need to make a smooth transition between running and hiding. also from hiding against the wall and grabbing. ive spent 1hours just trying to do this grabbing from behind the wall and finally ended up waiting for the enemy under the stair and quickly running and grab him from behind.
    3. confusing enemy AI, sometimes they can see through walls?they cant tell the difference between running and walking.
    4. the loading time when respawn is just ridiculous.
    5. camera movement that sometimes move slower then the character makes it hard(read:uncomfortable) to point the next location.

thats all, i give up for now. maybe ill give it a go later if they fixed all the problem above. there is still many more bugs that i havent mentioned here, but i think above are crucial point that need to be fixed asap.
    not recommended at this current stage. 3stars from me.

ps. im glad i havent bought the season pass.

2. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Yet another game developer that has decided to alienate most iPhone and iPad users by using metal graphics.

In addition, the game only includes act 1. If you want acts 2 and 3, plan to pay another $6.99.

No thanks!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh noes! A game that's $25 on Steam is only $11 on iOS! Whatever shall we do?

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I completed the first Act.
    To be honest I loved the game, and I'm about to buy the next Acts right now...here are my impressions so far.
    There are some quirks which may or may not break the game for you, but overall I really enjoyed the first part.
    (Read to the bottom for the interface thing).

My major gripe are some crashes in key moments of the plot.
    Fortunately they are generally right after a checkpoint but usually when you are about to get a big revelation...so it's frustrating.
    My second major gripe is that iCloud sync doesn't work for me for some reason (I can see the save in iCloud but the game doesn't sync...I'm at Act 2 on iPad and fresh on iPhone).
    As the crash is probably memory related...this made the no sync more frustrating because I was so engrossed by the story I just wanted to continue on the other device.

As for the crashes, generally re trying 1-2 times did the trick...but I was stuck a lot when you have to click on the guest book in the hotel...till I realized it didn't crash if I first open the nearby door and then keep the character spaced away, not close.
    I was able tot play 2 hours straight after that.

I really hope the dev will sort out these gripes, especially the crashes...because the game imho really deserve.

Other minor but annoying quirks:

There is no tutorial...ok...interface is very simple BUT....some things I discovered by pure chance.
    You CAN and you WILL level up your characters with the money you find around.
    You can level up individually both speed and noise level.
    You can do this only in the main slash screen.....which you access only AFTER playing.
    It's a weird decision.

When you complete the first Act...it should bring you to the 'buy' screen....instead it starts over (another weird decision, doesn't make sense commercially speaking).

I've left aside the interface and the 'fist' button for last, as I keep reading about this.
    To be honest the interface was great here...never had a problem.
    I was able to do 'complicated' stuff with ease...like sending the woman opening a lock, then going hiding far away, taking out a guard lured with noise with Wilt, the operate with Arno...
    The 'fist' thing.....at first I was a bit puzzled by the behaviors...sometimes I killed with ease, sometimes it was instant death.
    Then I got a revelation...and since then the game was much easier (well...it's pretty difficult in some parts as a game) and kill 100% of the guards I wanted to kill.
    First....some hiding spots are in positions that are effective only if the guard come from a specific side.
    Sometimes you have two sides of a wall (sometimes just one) and if you 'hide' in the wrong one (where the guard come from) they will surely see you and kill you on sight.
    That's realistic and understandable.
    When you are in the 'right' spot....ACTIVATE SPEED/RUN before attacking.
    Works like a charm...there is a nice timing spot between a guard opening a door or nearing you and you pressing the fist...learn that and everything will be very smooth.
    Works even (maybe only after having leveled up, not sure) running or stealth walking following a guard and taking him down when he stops.
    Worked like 100% for me...so if you have tried in frustation...check that....you might be surprised.
    Of course this doesn't seem explained anywhere...I found out just because I wanted to proceed with the story and I'm stubborn.
    Maybe the dev could look into this too, maybe adding an additional help dialog.
    Parts where I died like a million times before became a cakewalk.

Everything else, graphics, music, sounds, story, dialogues etc...is top notch.

As for the additional acts....I knew the initial price was just for first Act, it's written right at the start of the game description.
    I thought Acts 2 and 3 weren't available tough...so it was a nice surprise.

Overall I really liked it, but I do hope the dev will look into the quirks, especially the crashes, to let everyone enjoy this game.

Now back playing....I'm apparently heading out of Vienna...

5. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    #45 paulkolin86, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Ok guys. I purchased the season pass and I really regret it now. The chapter VI is completely unplayable. The guards can see U through the door and walls, and the hiding system fails - You can't complete this chapter... I saw a recording guy on youtube who try to pass it - he gave up. I went even further. This time I am completely sure it's impossible to complete the chapter because of the bug I meantioned above. I deleted the game already. "Try This War of Mine"instead. You will not be disappointed.

PLS don't make the same mistake I did.. Those who completed the chapter VI pls share some tips. Honestly... I guess none did...

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm really sad to hear!
    I just hit chapter 6 myself (I plan to play it tonight)....I'll report if I manage to play it.
    I pointed the dev to this thread too, hopefully he will look into these matters!

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    By any chances...do you have multiple devices?
    Does sync works for you?

8. paulkolin86

Nov 9, 2012
    #48 paulkolin86, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    No, I use only my iPad Air 2 right now. Pls play the chapter VI and confirm that it's unplayable, as I stated. It will save ppl's money. Still I hope the developer will fix all those bugs...

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'll surely report after I'll manage to play it (hopefully in few hours), don't worry.
    I really hope not to incur in those bugs and, in case, the dev will patch them.
    It would be a pity, I'm really liking the game and the story.

10. paulkolin86

Nov 9, 2012
    I do as well, that's why I purchased the season pass..
    Pitta, let us know... I'm glad there is someone who likes this game and got so far... What's more important - we wanna know if You can complete it.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I hope to be able to play tonight and let you know...if not, don't worry, I'll do this week for sure.
    I'm re-playing the whole game on iphone too (sigh doesn't sync :( ) while I'm waiting things for work right now.
    Since the 'combat' and the 'speed' icons clicked with me....I'm cruising the levels....on Act 2 already.
    It's almost a joke now...I basically killed everyone :p

12. paulkolin86

Nov 9, 2012
    When U play chapter VI U can't kill anyone because U play as Siska and The Mole (U can't kill guards).

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Sorry I was mistaken....I just completed chapter 5....chapter 6 will be tomorrow (I'm in Act 3 now).
    Chapter 5 was absolutely fantastic tough.
    So tense!!!

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well....I do not how to say it but....just completed chapter 6 in under 2 hours :p
    Actually, it was probably the best so far.

Where you were stuck exactly?
    Past the theatre?
    I was stuck for at least half an hour at the huge puzzle...brilliant!!!
    It's not that guards are bugged or they see behind walls....there is a story reason why it's like that...they are super alerted so you must memorize the paths and run in the very few moments they won't catch you and be very cautious when walking, especially on steel surfaces (they make more noise).
    Actually the whole chapter was really tense.
    While I'm fresh with the levels...tell me were you were stuck...there are two tricky points that took me a bit to figure out too.

Despite what everyone is saying and except for the crash at the end of chapter 3...I'm really loving the game.
    Old school, it really doesn't hold your hand....super difficult but really satisfying.
    Awesome story...and great characters...I loved how they developed them during the game.

I'm in last chapter now...around 7 hours in...I think I'll complete it tonight.
    I'm replaying the game on iPhone too...but now that I know all the tricky parts...I'm cruising...already at the end of Act 2.

15. paulkolin86

Nov 9, 2012
    #55 paulkolin86, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Yes, exactly... I passed the elevators puzzle and couldn't to get to the person in the office at the rooftop (I don't remember his name). That part doesn't make sense for me.. I still think it's a bug. I already deleted this game and i'm not gonna replay it just to be stuck at the same point. Good luck with the last chapter.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I see.
    If you are curious you can easily reach the guy you are looking for doing this.
    In that particular zone the two guards are in alerted mode...and they do something previous guards didn't do....ie...they go near the doors and stop to hear if there are strange noises on the other part of the door.
    The tricky thing is that you must reach the guy with BOTH....so you have to control both at the same time.
    Reaching the guy is a new checkpoint so once you are near just spring for him.

Watch carefully the guards pattern. There is 1 moment when on is up and in is down. I hid in the balcony on the right and when they were BOTH going away I RUN towards the central ladder, then WALKED, not to alert them, inside the room

To be honest I had no problems reaching the guy with one character...the tricky part was doing it with both so I changed the hiding spots a lot and that took a bit (20 minutes I guess).
    You have to do this because when you enter the room you open the door and the noise will alert the guards, so you do not have time to bring the other character inside, and there are no hiding spots.
    Hiding spots don't matter anyway wen guards are alerted, they will see you no matter what.

I'm almost there with my iPhone too...so if you remember the parts and want to replay the game, it takes less than 3 hours at most.

Going to complete the game tonight hopefully :)

17. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Game was just updated with improved stealth mechanics and gaurd behavior. I've been wanting to buy this but was scared off by the number of complaints. I'm still very interested but would like to know if this update has improved any of these problems. Anyone... Anyone... Anyone.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #58 Pitta, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Completed the game :)
    Or at least I saw one ending.
    Pretty awesome, I really enjoyed this....very old school in a modern coat, very difficult and satisfying.
    I hope to see more of this, those characters are too cool to be left alone...also, I want to know more about R. and stuff....

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks Pitta for all the good insight. I am also enjoying the game a great deal. I've yet to be too frustrated or have any big issues. Knock on wood!

Very happy to see the update hit. Hopefully this fixes issues that some are having & allows others to take a chance on the game & enjoy it as much as I have. Is it perfect? nope, but it sure is fun, interesting & well worth the time spent playing it.

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Glad I'm not the only one!!!
    Where are you?
    I saw the update too....but before updating I want to see all endings....you never know, I fear something can ruin my save.
    I also have everyone almost fully upgraded.

To be honest but the guest book crash I never had a real problem, nor saw any weird guards behaviors or problems with the UI.
    Sure, the game doesn't hold your hand, it's very old school and really brutal...as I like.
    Reminds me part Mission Impossible, part Commandos (yeah I'm old..) in a wonderful athmosfere.
    Some parts, especially internals, when you have your torchlight turned on are really gorgeous.