Universal Cally's Caves 3 (by Jordan Pearson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    #101 jordanfwc, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Ok we are working on the Iap glitch where you have to restore... It seems like the connection to the AppStore isn't initializing sometimes and we are on it, sorry to those affected by it!

Edit: Also Brainbag, I totally misunderstood your message the first time but I re read it and I get what you mean now! We can definitely work on correcting that for the next update

ISupah, keep going and you should find something g to help with the water :)

Matt33, we did have one other user with the exact same issue. He said the update today didn't fix it but we will have another update submitted by the end of the week and I'm gonna double and triple check that if you have beat survival it should allow the thing you mentioned to happen. (Sorry about that!)

2. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Just completed New Game+ and got all collectibles except ONE FRIGGIN ORB :( It's not a big deal for me so I'll give up on that. Seeing the complete ending is still awesome, though.

Here are some impressions on the game so far (mostly comparing to Cally's 2). WARNING: WALL OF TEXT.

1.) Checkpoint--- it's indeed better than the second. I've also just finished the latter and while you can die more easily and the restored 3-heart doesn't fully cheapen it, it's still less challenging.

2.) Guns--- That's a lot of unique guns and even more variants!!! I sucked at timing my parries, so I love the Spear gun. Looking back, unlocking the variants was my main drive to play. But, although it's fun to max out all guns, the enemy and level design doesn't fully encourage to use everything. Pistol, shotgun, and assault rifle becomes almost unused midway through the game. Bomb and especially mine get used only at very specific enemy positions. There's just way too much guns so it's not their fault, though. What was disappointing for me was the
    sniper rifle
    being an awkwardly-aiming pistol. I was half-expecting an unwieldy, slow firing gun with a devastating shot.

On switching guns, adding the grid is definitely a step up from the second game. But it's not the best way to cycle through weapons. One thing that just popped in my mind is a secondary gun firing button but it may complicate the screen too much.

3.) Sword--- stunning enemies and parrying was more essential in here than the previous game. It felt good shooting while parrying shots that deliver the final blow. You can now run while slashing. The
    energy wave
    was similar to the second game but getting it in the end with maxed guns made it obsolete.

4.) Bera--- he's really cute and knows kung-fu. I love how you guys made him tie up to the main gameplay. I was sad I couldn't play as him in the New Game+... Perhaps a Bera survival mode is feasible?

5.) Enemies--- most are basically staples from the previous game with some additions for the IAP. Knockback from getting hit is the best improvement. I love the
    shield dude that dies only with a parried shot.
    I felt the
    spiked wheels
    didn't pose enough threat. Boss fights requiring parrying sessions are better than the previous game in that enemies have varying movements and attacks (some of CC2's bosses were very cheap). I died at the final boss battle a couple of times, but it's not hard at all that it's disappointing (Sorry, NES and SNES Megaman games was my childhood definition of 'challenge').

6.) Consumables--- it's a welcome addition and makes the boss fights less punishing. I found no need to use the lamp thingie but Ham Sandwich feels nice to go, well... HAM on the enemies. Six slots is too much for me, though. The fact that you can pick them up from killing enemies lessens their value as well.

7.) Altered ammo--- I didn't find the need to alter any guns except freezing. Poison is impractical because I felt the game's pace is "eliminate enemies quickly." Explosion is way better with additional damage per shot. Electricity is somehow a combination of the above. Overall, the various ammo options sadly got drowned in the sea of arsenal. The later guns already have their inherent special abilities and damage potential that the ability to alter their ammo is too much and too expensive. It could've been better if you can use alteration as part of weaker weapon level up like pistol and assault rifle to encourage their later use.

8.) Survival--- this was my main draw to expecting good replay value for the game (aside from deleting the campaign data) but sadly it felt repetitive and lacked significant challenge worthy of the name with the end part being bland. The reward isn't that good, either. May be out of place, but I think adding a boss battle after a certain number of waves will make it better (and make the 6-slot consumable more sense).

9.) New Game+ --- this definitely had more value than the survival with new enemies and collectibles and final guns. But, navigating through the same levels minus Bera scenarios was a tad letdown. Still, the sense of accomplishment with the extended ending in relation to the free game's teaser ending was nicely done. All that's coursing through my mind after seeing it was "Oh, the possibilities for the sequel!!!"

CC3 has added a ton of stuff from CC2. For the free game including IAP, it's a good value and a relatively complete challenge and experience. I posted my impressions (and nitpicks) as honestly as possible because of the leap of quality in every CC sequel shows how the devs mature. They are worthy of a complete feedback.

P.S.: If there's one addition I personally would add for a next CC game, it would be nice if we get one with a playable/unlockable
    Herbert
    with his own unique story, combat mechanics and levels. Am I getting way ahead? LOL

3. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    You sir get a gold star, thank you so much for the feedback! Regarding your last paragraph, I think you'll be happy where we are going next :)

Also we are adding new bera stuff in our first big content update! :)

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Cally's Caves 3 is doing well in the 'Game of the Week' thread, but it's not winning =( There were a lot of great games released last week, so this is understandable. Just wanted to remind anyone who hasn't yet to vote!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=267066

5. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Well-Known Member

#105 Bomb Bloke, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Hooray! Been waiting for this. Bought the IAP, now I just need the time to actually play it. :)

Good question! I've still got my copy (I've long since learnt not to throw away that which I wish to keep), but the App Store no longer has theirs!

6. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    :eek:
    Looking forward to more Bera!!! :)

7. Czcat

Czcat Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Weapon lvling

Is it just me or some of the weapons dont lvl after lvl10.

I bought the iap and got the sniper gun and i was able to lvl that to lvl 17 without a problem. But i noticed on the earlier guns i got, i can very easily lvl them to lvl 10, and the exp bar just stopped moving no matter how much more enemies i kill. Is it because the enemies are too weak?? I am on the third last boss already. Pls help!

8. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    #108 pinOi32, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    So I tried the game after the most recent patch, and I was able to see something new... A fascinating 3 seconds of a scrolling scene after the vdogames label... and then it crashes.

i then tried opening the game up a few times after that and the same thing would happen each time.

i really appreciate the effort, though! ::) That's the sign of a good dev team, one that listens to their feedback!!

I guess I won't be able to play this one for now... Ohwell, free bump! :D
    I a

9. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    #109 jordanfwc, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    cZcat, you have to buy new game plus to upgrade all the weapons (except sniper rifle which is also a purchase so we didn't want to restrict it) to level 20!

Thanks for checking it out, would you be able to let me know what device you are playing on? When we were testing it we couldn't get it to run on anything earlier than:
    iPhone 4s
    iPod touch 5th gen
    iPad 2
    EDIT: it is also crashing on iOS 9 beta (gamemaker issue)

If you are playing on a newer device let me know so I can fix it! :) On the older devices, they just don't have enough ram for our engine (which I'm sure is my fault as a programmer). Let me know and I'll see what we can do!
    Jordan

10. kyopd

kyopd Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Good job on the game. I am having a blast.

11. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Awesome thanks so much for playing it!

12. iSupah

iSupah Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    What's more to say? Cally is just amazing as ever. Was just looking at my posts on the CC2 thread, and saw one where I was excited if they was making CC3. Flash foward a year and a month later, and CC3 is out. Cally's Caves 3 is the work of Jordan and his team. Just playing this game, I can see that they had put all their energy into this. It is such a wonderful platformer. Don't worry about the controls as they work flawlessly for mobile devices. The weapon level system has been revamped from CC2 in such a awesome way in which each form gives the guns abilities. Now they just don't look badass, but feel badass with each form your weapon gets. Did I mention the new abilites are a neat addition? So far I just got triple jump but I can't wait to get more. Also, the new checkpoint system is flawless. I felt CC1 was really hard when the checkpoints was only after every boss and felt CC2 was easy with a checkpoint at every level. CC3 did the perfect challenge of putting checkpoints every few levels. It makes you have to play with caution. The soundtrack is also great as usual. Nothing to complain their about. I am only up to the Forgotten Forest but as with CC2, I plan to finish this little gem. As stated in the CC2 thread, Jordan you guys put retro back in retro platformers.

PS: No fails just yet..Except the time in the House of Carls where I jumped down not expecting water to be there..Oops. Dang it Cally! I thought your parents taught you to swim from the time of CC2 till CC3.

13. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013

Thanks so much isupah, we really appreciate your feedback! And we are hard at work on the bugs that people HAVE experienced :) another update should be out next week

14. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Any word on the Mfi update?

15. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    #115 MetaGonzo, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Cracking game, love it to bits and when I say love it to bits I mean I hate it...

I am so stuck on
    the Dark Castle boss, Cyborg
    . Anyone got some tactics?

Joking apart, I've been loving this. Great controls, generous content, fantastic style; a great continuation of a great series. Well worth the extra IAP; I just hope I can finish round 1 so that I can enjoy ng+.

Edit: finally sorted it. Bombs are the way forward if anyone gets similarly stuck.

16. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    we are working on it now!

Thanks very much! If anyone in the thread has any feedback they'd like to give us about our next project, please let us know. CC3 has done pretty well, and our options are open as to what to do next... so if you have any thoughts please shout them at us!

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    How long until there is an update that fixes the issue that I have to restore my purchases every time before I play? I thought it was going to be this week?

18. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Great to hear that CC3 is enjoying some well deserved success.

It's plain to see that you have a knack for platformers so I see no need to mess with that.
    How about a true MetroidVania-ish project with some twists? Big seamless map but with deeper RPG elements (classes, player assigned stats etc.) and (for me) a sci-if theme.
    One of my favourite games of all time, regardless of platform, is Shadow Complex. I see you making a MV in similar style with deeper character progression and huge opportunities for back tracking (more so than CC3 by an order of magnitude). Get heavy on character, add your pixel art and you're onto a winner.

Take Shadow Complex in your left hand, Mass Effect in your right and smash them together and give it a pixel lick.
    Derivative? Not at all; inspiration takes many forms. A good game is a good game.

19. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    It should be any day now, it's been submitted and waiting to be reviewed for over a week now :(

Thank you for your feedback! We will take it into account :D
    jordan

20. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey guys just popping back in to let you know that update is now out. If anyone has persisting issues after restoring their in app purchases please let me know so we can be on top of it! This is just a hotfix update, our big content update will be out in a month or so... I'll detail it here when I get some more time,
    Thanks again to everyone,
    Jordan