Universal Cally's Caves 3 (by Jordan Pearson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 21, 2015.

1. iSupah

iSupah Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    What!? How did I miss this?? Haven't been on the forums for awhile. I'm so happy CC is back! I see everyone is so positive on this one and it's as expected since the CC series is one of the best I ever played on iOS. I already beat CC2 and can't wait to see how 3 is. Good to see you Jordan!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah its great, i'm taking my time with this but its very polished. Love the graphic style (did like the older more 'basic' style before but this is great).

Top marks to the dev, totally forgot about this one when i said there were no decent games this week. Game of the week for me totally this one

3. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I was wondering if you were still around iSupah!! Thanks for checking it out :D

Thank you so much PSJ, that means a ton to me and the team :D
    Jordan

4. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Still not completely understanding the IAP tiers

What exactly is the New Game + Mode?

Not too interested in the waves mode so probably won't get that $2.99 IAP but does the New Game + mode limit the actual game in any way? I have spent over $50 in the App store in the past two months so have to be somewhat selective with IAP for a while lol

5. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Sorry about not being more clear! Haha. So the regular free game is 110 levels, 8 zones and 8 bosses. You can level your weapons up to level 10 without making the Iap purchase.
    Once you have purchased new game + for $2.99 USD, you can immediately level your weapons up to level 20, which includes 3 more tiers of appearance/weapon effects. It also unlocks the new game plus mode (you still have to beat the regular game to access it), which introduces 8 new enemy types and shakes up the levels. This is another 8 zones of 110 levels.

The reason we did it this way was we didn't want to offer players any less than they could get from our last game for free. We are indies trying to build a name for ourselves and we want people to know we will give quality content and not ask for your money for something that isn't worth it! Hope that clears it up a bit :)
    Jordan

6. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Featured!

Hey all, sorry to double-post - i just wanted to update the thread to let you guys know that after a couple of days, Apple featured us in the best new games category in the Canada and U.S. (and possibly elsewhere). It definitely wouldn't have happened without some buzz and downloads, so from our team, we want to give the world's hugest thanks to the TA forum community, the mods, and the TA staff for giving us a shot. None of this would be possible without Toucharcade and all of you. We were gunning so hard for a feature, it almost doesn't seem real :p
    Jordan, Dave and OHK0
    [​IMG]

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heartwarming. :) Congrats on the feature, and you don't really need to be thanking the mods...THEY'RE AWFUL PEOPLE! :D :p

8. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Have been looking forward to this for a while now.
    Pretty cool game so far but the new checkpoint system is too frustrating. Not saving every level and throwing you back to the start all the time is a big no no for these kind of mobile games imo.

Just let me play where I left off after getting a call or sending a text etc.

9. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey Chiller ONE! Thank you for the feedback, we were trying to find a good balance between our past checkpoint systems - in CC1 you restarted the whole game over every time but there were checkpoints after bosses. CC2 checkpointed every level but the general feedback was that made it too easy. I can definitely see how it could be frustrating. One thing that can help is if you buy a Lamp at Rupert's store (they are 2000 coins so relatively cheap), it will allow you to respawn at whatever level you died in (unless it's a checkpoint level, in which case the lamp stays equipped for next life). It's not perfect but it might make it a bit easier for you, and we will try to figure out a better system for our next game.

10. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I'm at the last area now and I find the checkpoint system here reasonable and not tedious. I tried the second game and the same-level respawn takes some of the fun away.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Ok, so really the New Game+ IAP is almost like a full unlock. Ish. Very reasonable IMO!

12. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    That's the general feedback we got... I think we will be able to figure out how to do it even better if we do another game in this genre! (which we probably will because we just make games we'd wanna see on the Appstore)

Yeah that was our hope, but we wanted to give away enough that you could trust the purchase :D thanks so much for checking it out

13. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    Ok. So I just finished the first part of the game but I haven't found all the collectibles (diaries, etc.). So my question is, should I find all of them on the first part, or will I need to play the New Game + to find all of them?

14. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    You can find all the records in the free game, the other 3 types of collectibles are hidden across both games. Collecting all of each type will give you a secret reward!

15. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Amazing game!!! Amazing pay strategy!!! Definitely worth the purchase!!! Great job!!!

16. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I agree with this. It gives the game just the right amount of challenge. When you have to survive 3 levels instead of just one, it forces you to learn new strategies and gives you a sense of accomplishment when you make it to that checkpoint. Great game by the way. Just bought the new game+ IAP.

17. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    thank you so much for checking it out and for the purchase!

Glad to hear you think the checkpoint system is fair! Thanks for checking out Cally's Caves 3 :D
    Jordan

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Congrats on the accolades and feature! Very well-deserved :) I'll be buying the full unlock after I have a go at the final boss. It would be a crime not to, as I've already sunk 8 hours into the game!

For a future update, could the achievement syncing be improved? I've got lots of 'kill x enemy' ones that didn't sync properly with GC.

Also, I wonder if the survival mode purchase could be further incentivized with a leaderboard for number of waves survived. Would it be possible to have the waves continue indefinitely after the 150 cap (I'm assuming based on the description)? Extending it for competitive purposes could really put those upgraded weapons to the test. If it wouldn't be too time consuming to implement and if people would like to see added, it might be worth consideration anyway.

19. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    I just completed the Survival Mode but I only got the usual gems for the prize. There was a light shining in the middle but there was no item. Is this a bug?

20. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    That is a great idea actually! Let me see what I can do, we already have a bunch of content planned for an update in 6-8 weeks, I'll see if we can add a leaderboard and potentially extend the survival. (if not in the first content update I will definitely get this in at some point). Good suggestion!!

We just got a bug report from someone saying the same thing... so in order to explain this I need to spoil the survival prize, so if anyone doesn't want to know, SPOILERS AHEAD!

The final prize for the survival is the final blade gun. It seems like if cally is near the light beam when survival is beaten, she automatically picks it up and it doesn't show the "you have found" screen. We are working on this now, but one way to check if you got it would be level the blade gun up and see if it goes to level 20. Sorry about that! We are working on it :) thanks for letting us know